News   Apr 25, 2024
 347     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Apparently the Primove catenary-free tram/LRT/streetcar can operate with or without the lower cost catenary overhead, depending on the power needs. In other words, on steep hills it would be using a catenary, but on level terrain it could be catenary-free.

Of course they will be. You can currently experience air conditioning on a retrofitted prototype CLRV, #4041, which can be identified by the "Thermo King" pod fitted on its roof. There are plans to install air conditioning on the 100 rebuilt CLRVs.
I've been keeping my eyes out for 4041 since this post - and I finally spotted it this morning running the 506 (saw it coming in the distance, and wondered why there was a snow-drift on top of the car - that's a big unit on top!). I'm surprised it took so long for me to see, given I can see the cars from my house.

What is status of this? In three years they've installed one unit - at that rate it will be the year 2600 before they get the entire fleet done! :)

Like I said it will be part of the rebuild program - but that can't begin until the delivery of new LRVs begin, as we don't have sufficient spare cars to really be rebuilding anything at this point.

The technology itself reads like it is out of a science fiction novel. First the iPhone and now this. Where will we possibly be in 10 - 15 years?

How about a change of subject: I should probably know this, but is the TTC talking about all-door boarding on the new vehicles, as on the Transit City lines? And if so, how will that affect the ticketing system? I assume it would require moving to a cancellation-type process as you have in most European cities, no?

How about a change of subject: I should probably know this, but is the TTC talking about all-door boarding on the new vehicles, as on the Transit City lines? And if so, how will that affect the ticketing system? I assume it would require moving to a cancellation-type process as you have in most European cities, no?

Yes. The new 500-route streetcars will have all-door loading and the operator won't be collecting fares. The most likely scenario is ticket vending machines for one-ride users either on board or at stops. Hopefully by the time they are fully rolled out we will have Presto fully rolled out on the TTC... but a cancellation process should be good in the interim.

Hopefully by the time they are fully rolled out we will have Presto fully rolled out on the TTC... but a cancellation process should be good in the interim.
Presto isn't to be fully rolled out by TTC until 2017 or so. Cancellation of the streetcar order has delayed the streetcar roll-out until 2010-2012 or so ... but I'm not sure this cancellation process is very good in the interim ... :)

Could always go back to the old system. Put conductors back on the vehicles, and use the current POP system. If you need proof of payment, you go straight to the conductor and pay them. The union would love it!

No no. We mean a GO Transit punch system where you buy a blank ticket and get it punched each time you ride. That's called canceling your ticket.

Or maybe I'm the one who's confused and you already knew what I was talking about. If so, double my-bad. :eek:

Or maybe I'm the one who's confused and you already knew what I was talking about. If so, double my-bad. :eek:
hence the use of the smiley - which personally I like as much as canned laughter - but I'm told (apparently erroneously) that it does making it obvious when one is making a joke.

I'm sure whatever the TTC thinks up to deal with the new vehicles will be stranger than we can ever imagine.

hence the use of the smiley - which personally I like as much as canned laughter - but I'm told (apparently erroneously) that it does making it obvious when one is making a joke.

I'm sure whatever the TTC thinks up to deal with the new vehicles will be stranger than we can ever imagine.

No no, it makes it obvious. The issue is that sometimes my head becomes more dense than the muffins my aunt made when she forgot the baking soda.

Cornbread Cannonballs we called them...

But seriously, my best guess is ticket vending machines either on board or at the stop. You would be able to put in cash, tokens or tickets and it would print a transfer.

Back