News   May 01, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 361     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 366     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

TTC is back to having 3 or 4 new cars in service every day.

It's been 15 days since 4409 was delivered. Would be nice to see this one in service any time now.

Obviously absolutely no sign of 4410 yet.

TTC is back to having 3 or 4 new cars in service every day.

It's been 15 days since 4409 was delivered. Would be nice to see this one in service any time now.

Obviously absolutely no sign of 4410 yet.

It's hard to tell what they're doing with the cars they have now. I saw two of them being used for training on Bathurst last night - I think they were 4403 and 4408.

It will likely be in service on Sunday or Monday, provided nothing major goes wrong. It's been doing its shakedown runs all week.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I saw an out-of-service LRV flying down College last night, just west of Bathurst, around 9pm. Must have been a training run. Didn't catch the number. 4404 amd 4405 have both been out on Spadina lately, though.

Doing maintenance this week and then back to full strength for ParaPanAms? Hopefully 4409 online in the next 3-5 days.

Having *training* on more than one production car (to ensure almost-trained drivers are familiar with production mods) makes no sense to me though. I'm sure there was some grown up rationale to do with vehicle mileage for sending even one preproduction car back to TB before Bombardier when they were not going to be able to turn them around in days or even weeks and TB has not *demonstrated* full production tempo, but it sure escapes me.

Gee. I don't feel so bad now. From this link:

Report: Delivery of Cincinnati's streetcars delayed months

A Cincinnati streetcar project report says deliveries of the city's streetcars are facing a delay.

The report presented last week to a city council transportation committee says the deliveries could be behind schedule by two to three months. Officials say the first of five vehicles will now likely arrive in November. The rest are set to arrive once a month thereafter.

CAF USA is building the streetcar vehicles in Elmira Heights, New York. The firm says there have been vehicle testing issues and delays from their sub-suppliers affecting delivery dates.

A city engineer who oversees the project says the delay should not affect the streetcar service's launch on Sept. 15, 2016. He says CAF would pay for costs that result because of the delay.

"Delays from their sub-suppliers affecting delivery dates." Where did I hear that before?

On top of Cincinnati delay, KC is also effected since their order is an added on to Cincinnati order.

There been a few other.

The big issues is finding US suppliers to meet the 60% requirement. If the supplier is small, they can only produce X items per months which is fine for a small order, but becomes more of a problem as orders increase in size. It becomes the trickle down effect to the point X sub-sub supplier can't fulfill the main supplier requirement and there is no one else able to produce x part.

On top of Cincinnati delay, KC is also effected since their order is an added on to Cincinnati order.

Maybe they would like to buy some surplus TTC ALRV's or CLRV's as these come out of service?

(Yes, I'm joking.....I understand gauge, dimensions, high floor, no spare parts, etc etc.....I just love the irony when history goes full circle)

- Paul

"Delays from their sub-suppliers affecting delivery dates." Where did I hear that before?
Boeing Dreamliner anyone? This whole contracting out every single part business is just not working as well for cost cutting as businesses seem to think.

Maybe they would like to buy some surplus TTC ALRV's or CLRV's as these come out of service?

(Yes, I'm joking.....I understand gauge, dimensions, high floor, no spare parts, etc etc.....I just love the irony when history goes full circle)

- Paul

What about the double-poles in Cincinnati?
Cincinnati-streetcar.jpg

Likely, they're going with double pantographs with their new fleet. Kiddin', just one pantograph for Cincinnati.
Cincinnati-Streetcar-Rolling-Stock1.jpg

What about the double-poles in Cincinnati?

Likely, they're going with double pantographs with their new fleet. Kiddin', just one pantograph for Cincinnati.

What double pole??

Pans and battery for both systems like Detroit getting as well.

I found the pole spacing too close as well using a long and shot bar.
20028944769_3545d47589_b.jpg

19594553053_dd9da46851_b.jpg

20027492908_fc4a6e17c9_b.jpg

Cincinnati PCCs had to use double poles in Cincinnati. When they were bought into Toronto around 1954, they converted the double poles to single poles, changed the trucks to match the TTC gauge, and other changes. See link.

Cincinnati went single wire overhead with their new order.

Back