News   Jul 15, 2024
 279     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 418     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

just looked at service summary. No 510 past Queens Quay Loop during the games anyway. Transfer to 509 it says. 509/511/510 all supposedly with some LFLRVs... Get well soon 4404!

Edit: correction to above - no LFLRVs listed for 511. Misread that somehow
Edit2: thoroughly confused. I did see LFsc for 511 on page 4 but only CLRVs for another version of 511 on page 12!

I see the same--I'm going to assume the CLRV-only listing on pg12 is in error and somebody simply forgot to add LFsc in there. Someone accidentally forgetting to change pg 12 'all services' is much more likely than someone mistakenly changing pg 4 'streetcar services' to add LFsc to the 511. Additionally if you look at the TTC's service changes page there is a notice for the 511 for the Pan-Am games that says "Service will be provided by both the new low-floor streetcars and the older high-floor streetcars" http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories/Service_changes/panam511.jsp so it seems pretty safe to say the pg 12 CLRV-only listing is a simple error.

I can't believe it's been more than two years and we only have 8. Ridiculous
There are certainly problems, but it's only about 13 months since the first car (4403) was delivered, and less since it was accepted by TTC.

Also, we only have 7, not 8. The 8th vehicle is the prototype that's going to be shipped back to Thunder Bay later this year for completion, and can't be used in revenue service.

Incidentally 6 of the 7 are in use today (5 on Spadina). Car 4404 is presumably still undergoing repairs after it was hit.

There are certainly problems, but it's only about 13 months since the first car (4403) was delivered, and less since it was accepted by TTC.

As soon as people started voicing concern about the disgraceful number of new streetcars we have, I knew we could count on nfitz with a contrarian view and acceptance of mediocrity. As I read the messages I knew he would be back to reassure us it is not so bad.

The problem is, it IS bad.

It's an absolute disgrace, an absolute farce, an embarrassment that we only have 8 cars. We CANNOT and SHOULD NOT accept this. We cannot explain this away by saying "there are certainly problems" and then sit back and twiddle our thumbs while Bombardier feeds us bold-face lies and commitments to new schedules after having done so 3 times before and completely missed their targets.

Where is the accountability?

I remember being at the unveiling ceremony when the first two new streetcars were introduced at Spadina Station. It was exhilirating. Little did I know we would only have 6 more, a whole 23 months later. Wow--if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have been as excited.

so is the TTC supposed to cancel the order from Bombardier and go to some else which means we have to wait for however long it takes for them to start up a production line or them?

so is the TTC supposed to cancel the order from Bombardier and go to some else which means we have to wait for however long it takes for them to start up a production line or them?

That would be one option. If Bombardier is delinquent in their contract, the city could sue, fine or walk away. However, seeing the province pushed the city to go with Bombardier so they can show job creation in Thunder Bay, they might have some protection in the contract that if anything went wrong they couldn't be sued as protection.

I have no idea what the TTC should do because I don't know the contract and what options we have.

But it is clear, we are long past the time to stop making excuses for Bombardier.

That would be one option. If Bombardier is delinquent in their contract, the city could sue, fine or walk away. However, seeing the province pushed the city to go with Bombardier so they can show job creation in Thunder Bay, they might have some protection in the contract that if anything went wrong they couldn't be sued as protection.

I really don't think that's going to happen unless they don't deliver by the end of the year. I don't see how the city or TTC could win a lawsuit over this Bombardier hasn't really done anything. The strike was not their fault they couldn't predict how long it would take. The rest was either because of design changes by the TTC or parts problems that could happen to any company.

I really don't think that's going to happen unless they don't deliver by the end of the year. I don't see how the city or TTC could win a lawsuit over this Bombardier hasn't really done anything. The strike was not there fault they couldn't predict how long it would take. The rest was either because of design changes by the TTC or parts problems that could happen to any company.

Even if they could sue, I agree with you they probably wouldn't go down that route since we still need Bombardier for subway parts, so I doubt they would want to have an unhappy relationship. The Toronto Star noted that the strike added to the delay. But bad paint job, improper construction and a miscommunication with their Mexico plant added more delays. Apparently it was so badly put together, the TTC worried it could break apart on bumpy roads.

As soon as people started voicing concern about the disgraceful number of new streetcars we have, I knew we could count on nfitz with a contrarian view and acceptance of mediocrity.

I don't see any acceptance of mediocrity in his post....what I see is a statement of the actual facts....facts that include at least one that is more negative than the op on the subject.

If, in your world, facts = contrarian view then I think you will disagree with a lot of stuff posted here.

I don't see any acceptance of mediocrity in his post....what I see is a statement of the actual facts....facts that include at least one that is more negative than the op on the subject.

If, in your world, facts = contrarian view then I think you will disagree with a lot of stuff posted here.

Yes he presented facts. He also presented an interpretation of the facts by saying it has "only" been 13 months since 4403 was delivered. And also by saying "there are certainly problems, but".

Using the words "only" and "but" are akin to saying that a mediocre delivery rate of 6 cars in 13 months is acceptable.

It is not.

Just ask Andy Byford.

Yes he presented facts. He also presented an interpretation of the facts by saying it has "only" been 13 months since 4403 was delivered. And also by saying "there are certainly problems, but".

Using the words "only" and "but" are akin to saying that a mediocre delivery rate of 6 cars in 13 months is acceptable.

It is not.

Just ask Andy Byford.

I should probably let him speak for himself but when I read it I took "only been 13 months" as a correction of someone else's mistatement that it had been 2 years since the first delivery.....but I could be wrong ;)

As soon as people started voicing concern about the disgraceful number of new streetcars we have, I knew we could count on nfitz with a contrarian view and acceptance of mediocrity. As I read the messages I knew he would be back to reassure us it is not so bad.
Hang on. I didn't say it's acceptable. It's not acceptable, and Bombardier needs to fire more people.

However, that doesn't mean it's okay to tell mistruths.

Hang on. I didn't say it's acceptable. It's not acceptable, and Bombardier needs to fire more people.

I'm glad you feel people should feel the heat for Bombardier's incompetence.

However, that doesn't mean it's okay to tell mistruths.

You'll forgive me if I detect slightly more to your explanations about Bombardier's incompetence than mere communication of fact. Could be an over-interpretation of your words but I've noticed you're quick to point out the situation isn't as dire as it is in reality. Because it really is dire.

Back