News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 420     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

It's certainly ended the constant begging by the school to make sure each child brings in 2 tickets or $1.50 in change. Must be so much easier to organize.

Yeah, I know I'm late for work, when a school trip loads onto the streetcar ... :)

Out of curiosity, just how much training does one driver need to transition from an "old" model to a "new" one? I've noticed there's been speculation on the vast amount of training hours. Plus, I wonder if they're training too soon for drivers. If there's only a few in service right now, will they forget their training by the time the new cars come?

All drivers are given a week of training. There are usually 2 classes of drivers per week (morning and afternoon), with mechanics getting the other car.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

From Metronews, at this link:

TTC upgrading some streetcars, crushing others

img_63881.jpg

Delivery of the TTC’s 204 new low-floor streetcars won’t be complete until 2019, but riders of the 501 Queen and 511 Bathurst lines won’t have to wait much longer for tangible improvements.

The TTC has started fitting some of its articulated streetcars with new energy-efficient LED lights, upgraded floors, fresh seats and Presto readers. It’s part of a $24-million overhaul designed to extend the life of the 27-year-old vehicles to 2024.

Thirty of the 52 articulated streetcars will get the beauty treatment with the option available for another 10, pending funding, says Stephen Lam, head of the TTC’s streetcar department. The remaining 12 will be stripped of their useful parts and scrapped.

Keeping some of the current streetcars in service will help the TTC maintain its capacity while the new streetcars continue to arrive. The first refreshed vehicles are due to hit the rails by the end of the year, Lam says.

The TTC has also started the process of scrapping its least reliable non-articulated streetcars.

“They are in bad shape,” says Lam.

Some will be auctioned off in bulk to museums and collectors, but most will be broken up over the next few years.

“I feel very passionate about those cars,” says Lam, “But we must move on because the major shortcoming of those cars, despite all the benefits, is it cannot provide accessibility.”

Last edited:
There's a streetcar (and other transit) museum near Guelph.
Yeah, I'm aware. Still would be cool to have one in Toronto. Maybe as part of a City of Toronto Museum.

Speaking of which, anyone know if any CLRVs will be headed to the Halton Radial Railway?

Speaking of which, anyone know if any CLRVs will be headed to the Halton Radial Railway?

I think I saw on the Transit Toronto Yahoo group that there not really interested because of not being able to get parts for them. Because so many of the parts are electronic as opposed to the PCC which has more mechanical parts on them and are easier to reproduce or find.

That would be sad if HRR decides that - seems rather short-sighted.

not really if they want to be able to run it they have to be able to get replacement parts for them if something breaks and if you can't rep[lace it it's just pretty much useless to them. As it is now the TTC has to source parts from wherever they can to keep the current ones running.

Could still be a static display - at least for the first couple of hundred years or so ... perhaps by then they'll have printers that will just print up whatever part you want!

Could still be a static display - at least for the first couple of hundred years or so ... perhaps by then they'll have printers that will just print up whatever part you want!

It's possible they might take one as static display but there not really in the best of shape I think most of them have taken a beating over there 30 to almost 40 years of service. As for parts it's stuff like circuit boards and stuff that can't be easily reproduced.

Where are the new streetcars being stored/maintained right now? I assume they are all parked in one of the existing car barn facilities overnight at the end of service?

So they drive them all the way along other routes to get to those shops? (Sorry - I just don't have a clear picture in my head of how start up and shut down work each day)

Back