News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 415     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I know through a travel agent that people in their industry (namely Sunwing) are recommending Presto to PanAm travellers to use UP Express at the lower rate. UP will be the entry point into the maze of confusing fare rules and overlapping systems that tourists will get lost in. With GO trains to PanAm venues and many downtown subway stations and some streetcars bearing the Presto logo and tap terminals, I can see tourists beginning their travel with Presto but getting totally confused as they're deadended on to non Presto vehicles and stations. It's going to be a mess.

Last edited:
Most of these things everyone declares will be a mess, tend up to be nothing. There was massive consternation from some on how making children's fares free, would suddenly lead to some rush hour service being overwhelmed by kids choosing not to walk. Have we heard one word of this since it happened (the only thing I've noticed, is perhaps a few more preschoolers on transit - but they tended to be free on every other Ontario transit system already).

They'll quickly discover if they try and leave the downtown core, or take surface vehicles, that they can't use Presto.

Though if heading to Pan Am events, then they don't need to pay a TTC fare anyways.

From Chief Executive Officer’s Report – June 2015 Update (Presentation Available) (For Information)

Six new low floor accessible streetcars are operating very reliably in revenue service on the 509 Harbourfront and 510 Spadina routes.

The transfer of technology and manufacturing from Europe to North America, including Mexico, has led to quality, design, and process issues that have caused significant delays in new streetcar shipments from Bombardier. The TTC continues to work with Bombardier to expedite deliveries while ensuring that all quality and safety objectives are met. The most recent car #4408 has been received and, if successful in testing, will enter service by the end of June 2015.

Bombardier is currently more than 50 new streetcars behind schedule from the approved contract schedule. The TTC received a proposed recovery schedule from Bombardier on February 19, 2015. Further to discussions with the TTC, the schedule was revised April 30 and June 1, 2015. Bombardier has committed to having 27 new streetcars in service plus another 3 streetcars on property for testing for a total of 30 new streetcars by year end 2015. Bombardier has also committed to completion of all 204 new streetcars by 2019.

At the request of TTC staff, Bombardier has been submitting detailed documentation to support their accelerated schedule and recovery plan. The information requested includes a detailed production schedule, quality control improvement initiatives, commitments from parts suppliers, and details on production equipment improvements for both of their plants in Thunder Bay and Mexico. Based on the detailed recovery plan and revised schedule, negotiation of the commercial terms of the contract with Bombardier is underway.

From New Streetcar Delivery Recovery Plan and Schedule (This report with confidential attachment contains information that is subject to solicitor-client privilege) (For Action)

The Contract stipulates a delivery schedule that outlines a Technology Verification Program phase (for 3 prototype cars); a detailed delivery schedule and penalties for non-performance.

Since Contract award, three “extensions of time” have been granted:

1. Six (6) months to incorporate changes required to improve on accessibility, wheel chair positions, PRESTO machine placement and fare enforcement modifications as a result of consultation with the stakeholders including ACAT during the mock-up phase;

2. Fifteen (15) weeks of “equitable adjustment” to allow for workflow changes to a paint system known and proven at the TTC, as opposed to a paint system that was argued to have met spec on the bogie frame (truck frame). This assures proven long life in the Toronto environment of high road salt content in the winter.

3. Force Majeure due to a Bombardier labour strike July 14 – September 12, 2014 - 47 days of disruption.

Except for the above extension of time provisions, the Contractual baseline delivery schedule has not been changed from when the Contract was executed. The TTC worked with Bombardier during 2013 and 2014 to design and build a spec-compliant accessibility ramp and ramp-door threshold interface, to appreciate the challenges in transferring technology and manufacturing from Europe, and to improve on production quality.

Despite continual CEO-President level conversations on delivery between the two organizations, the challenge to produce quality vehicles has unfortunately proven to be too formidable. This resulted in promised vehicles for the service launch for Route 510 Spadina on August 31st sliding from a forecast of 14 cars in March, to 8 cars in May, to ending up with only 2 cars on launch day. The reduced quantity at the end of August was partly due to the labour strike that started on July 14, 2014.

Bombardier has continued to restructure and retool to recover the delivery schedule. It submitted a revised schedule on June 1, 2015 that takes into account the above extensions of time, delays related to production and quality difficulties, and various claims.

In the June 1, 2015 schedule, Bombardier has committed to completing the delivery of 27 cars for acceptance by year end 2015, and completion of the 204 vehicles of the base LFLRV contract order in 2019. This revised schedule is the latest of a series of proposals submitted in January, February 19th, March 15th and on April 30th. Changes to the schedule from version to version were made partly due to scrutinization by the TTC for
substantiation to the recovery schedule. The following table compares the Contractual (adjusted) schedule to Bombardier’s June 1, 2015 proposal.

upload_2015-6-15_19-36-59.png

In summary, the revised schedule reduces the number of streetcars accepted as of December 31, 2015 by 46 cars, from 73 cars to 27 cars. The number of streetcars accepted by 2019 remains at 204 cars.

The following chart shows graphically vehicle acceptance rates based on the Contractual schedule, and Bombardier’s June 1, 2015 revised schedule.

upload_2015-6-15_19-40-15.png

The proposed June 1, 2015 schedule is being reviewed for acceptability along with Bombardier’s recovery plan.

Bombardier’s recovery plan outlines the carbuilder’s effort to increase production capacity and improve on build quality in its plants in Thunder Bay, Ontario and Mexico, and product quality and support from its supply chain. A new Baseline Delivery Schedule will be considered upon completion of technical assessment and negotiation of pertinent commercial terms in accordance with the Contract.

Bombardier’s claims of delays caused by the TTC’s staff instructions for changes to meet specification, as well as TTC claims against Bombardier will be part of the scope of negotiation.

Based on supporting documentation received to-date, and staff’s assessment of production readiness of Bombardier’s Thunder Bay and Sahagun, Mexico plants, TTC staff believe that there is a high risk that Bombardier may not be able to meet its revised schedule submitted on June 1, 2015 for year end 2015; and a medium risk that Bombardier may not meet the revised schedule for contract completion of 204 new streetcars by 2019.

An update Board Report will be submitted for the September Board meeting on the status of the actual delivery, agreement on a moving-forward schedule and agreement on commercial terms.

Attachments

• upload_2015-6-15_19-36-59.png
    upload_2015-6-15_19-36-59.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 938
  • upload_2015-6-15_19-40-15.png
    upload_2015-6-15_19-40-15.png
    127.7 KB · Views: 884
Last edited:
Six new low floor accessible streetcars are operating very reliably in revenue service on the 509 Harbourfront and 510 Spadina routes.

They are?

There have been a max of 3 running in the last 3 weeks.

TTC staff believe that there is a high risk that Bombardier may not be able to meet its revised schedule submitted on June 1, 2015 for year end 2015

21 more by the end of 2015 is laughable. There are 198 days remaining for 2015. The last gap between deliveries was 45 days (or so..I lost count). Does anyone really think they will get to a rate of 9 days between deliveries? Certainly the TTC doesn't.

The question then becomes what are the penalties when BBD fails to meet that timeline?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    581 KB · Views: 273
They are?

There have been a max of 3 running in the last 3 weeks.
I've noticed four out this week on Nextbus - yesterday I thought ... and either Saturday or Sunday as ewll. 4404 to 4407. At the same time 4403 has been spotted a few times doing training. And I thought someone had spotted 4400 doing training as well. Other than perhaps 4400 all present and accounted for.

Last edited:
I've noticed four out this week on Nextbus - yesterday I thought ... and either Saturday or Sunday as ewll. 4404 to 4407. At the same time 4403 has been spotted a few times doing training. And I thought someone had spotted 4000 doing training as well. Other than perhaps 4000 all present and accounted for.

I saw 4403 doing training on Spadina this afternoon. But you mean 4400, not 4000, right? Because 4000 is really, really old ...

I finally got to ride one on the weekend. Travels much slower than the old streetcars and sounds creaky, but the ride is so much more comfortable. You kind of forget that you are even on a streetcar. I noticed they are incredibly jerky during initial acceleration though. Is this just an issue with bad driving, or is this how they all start?

I think you had a new driver - the ones I've been on lately fly down queens quay with no jerkiness during acceleration. And, its nice to see the TTC using the new ones strategically. They've inserted/moved one to handle one of the biggest crunches on the harbourfront line in the AM.

I wonder if they have some of them out of service right now to train more operators on them. Does anyone know how many operators typically drive a given streetcar in a day?

I think you had a new driver - the ones I've been on lately fly down queens quay with no jerkiness during acceleration. And, its nice to see the TTC using the new ones strategically. They've inserted/moved one to handle one of the biggest crunches on the harbourfront line in the AM.
They also had them running out of Exhibiton Loop after the end of the Indy on Sunday.

That is exactly what's been happening of late. 2 cars - frequently 4400 and 4403 - have been allocated to driver and maintenance training.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Out of curiosity, just how much training does one driver need to transition from an "old" model to a "new" one? I've noticed there's been speculation on the vast amount of training hours. Plus, I wonder if they're training too soon for drivers. If there's only a few in service right now, will they forget their training by the time the new cars come?

Most of these things everyone declares will be a mess, tend up to be nothing. There was massive consternation from some on how making children's fares free, would suddenly lead to some rush hour service being overwhelmed by kids choosing not to walk. Have we heard one word of this since it happened (the only thing I've noticed, is perhaps a few more preschoolers on transit - but they tended to be free on every other Ontario transit system already).

It's been great for school field trips too, which tend to happen outside of rush hour.

Back