News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Unlikely. Bombardier knows that no one is going to be able to compete with them on price for these cars, especially after they've finished manufacturing 204 of them.

Also, if you open up the bid, you might have Bombardier submit a bid for the 60-cars, with a higher price-tag than originally guaranteed by the option in the original contract. There might also be some sort of clause that waives the right to the option if the TTC were to do something like this.

TTC will also look for parts commonality. I'm pretty sure having 60 black ducklings mixed in with 204 whites will be a pretty big turnoff for TTC regardless on if alternate companies can undercut BBr.

I'm curious if anyone has actually seen 4407 in service yet. I'm around Spadina pretty often, but have yet to see it. I'd estimate that Spadina is around 20% flexities right now, so don't see too many anyway.

I'm curious if anyone has actually seen 4407 in service yet. I'm around Spadina pretty often, but have yet to see it. I'd estimate that Spadina is around 20% flexities right now, so don't see too many anyway.
It's been in service a lot.

Someone posted a video of it running at Spadina station out the Portal on YouTube:
[video=youtube;BzncbzeKH68]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzncbzeKH68[/video]

Right now, NextBus shows it on 509 westbound on Fleet - http://doconnor.homeip.net/TransSee/FleetFind.php?a=ttc&lowrange=4407&highrange=4407

Thanks for the link. Interestingly that same site shows only 3 of the new vehicles in service right now and only 1 on the 510. I think that explains why I haven't seen them much lately.
Four right now. If one is off-route, or in a loop somewhere, then it won't see it.

If you look at both http://webservices.nextbus.com/service/publicXMLFeed?command=vehicleLocations&a=ttc&r=509 and http://webservices.nextbus.com/service/publicXMLFeed?command=vehicleLocations&a=ttc&r=510 you'd be able to catch those as well.

It's not unusual to see 5 of the 6 out at rush hour. Sometimes you see all 6 - even on a Sunday.

Thanks for the link. Interestingly that same site shows only 3 of the new vehicles in service right now and only 1 on the 510. I think that explains why I haven't seen them much lately.

It seems that 4407 is on the 509 route more often.

I live just off Spadina and I seem to be seeing the new streetcars almost exclusively now. I see the odd older one here and there. How many streetcars in total are in service at any given time? Could it be that there are more of the new ones running at this point?

I live just off Spadina and I seem to be seeing the new streetcars almost exclusively now. I see the odd older one here and there.

Do you live on BizarroSpadina? The LFLRV's are very much in the minority on the 510. This morning there was only 4400 and 4407 running but 16 CLRV's.

I was away for 5 days from Toronto and *of course* 4408 has not arrived yet. Saw that coming.

Last edited:
So I finally rode a new LFLRV the other day, and I couldn't believe how creaky it was! All sorts of weird noises that made it feel like the thing was not put together correctly. Is this normal? Is it due to the articulated design or because Bombardier really does have serious manufacturing problems?

So I finally rode a new LFLRV the other day, and I couldn't believe how creaky it was! All sorts of weird noises that made it feel like the thing was not put together correctly. Is this normal? Is it due to the articulated design or because Bombardier really does have serious manufacturing problems?

Did you catch the number on it? I can't say I've noticed any major creakiness and I've ridden on all of the new ones so far except 4407. What I have noticed is that while the ride is generally smooth in itself, existing stretches of uneven track (such as College/Spadina, pre-rebuild) really highlight the difference between legacy tracks and the kind of trackage that would be built nowadays and that these new cars should ideally ride on.

So I finally rode a new LFLRV the other day, and I couldn't believe how creaky it was! All sorts of weird noises that made it feel like the thing was not put together correctly. Is this normal?
I haven't noticed, either on the curve out of Spadina, or the curve out of Union.

Four cars in service right now (4400 and 4407 on 510; 4404 and 4405 on 509). In addition, I just came down Queen and saw 4406 parked at Russell, and 4403, doing some kind of test run eastbound on Queen East, with lots of safety vests on-board. So all 6 TTC vehicles accounted for.

I have noticed excessive creakiness too. Seems to be primarily the older ones but they're all creaky to an extent.

I took one of the new streetcars from Union to Porter airport with luggage. While certain parts of the train are narrow (the parts with two sets of double chairs), I like that there's an open area with lots of room for luggage near the doors. Works well for travel to the airport when it's not crowded, I also like the direct subway to streetcar connection at Union.

Back