News   Apr 26, 2024
 10     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 284     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 503     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Would have been only a couple of months in the body shop, but scarce budget dollars are deemed to be better spent keeping running ALRVs and CLRVs on the road. They may have savaged the seats, but I'm sure they retained more valuable things like trucks, motors, control modules, compressor and the LVPS.
The CLRV retirements are supposed to start later this year. With the ALRV rebuild program starting, it probably just wasn't worth it.

Exactly, even with a car shortage. Money is scarce so it has to be spent more efficiently.
That's right, money has to be spent more efficiently on things like giving kids a free pass and ridiculous wrap jobs. I'd rather have that money used to repair that streetcar (even if it would only stick around for 1 more year) and provide more reliable service, than provide a pretty worthless free ride.

That's right, money has to be spent more efficiently on things like giving kids a free pass and ridiculous wrap jobs. I'd rather have that money used to repair that streetcar (even if it would only stick around for 1 more year) and provide more reliable service, than provide a pretty worthless free ride.
It's more than just money. The staff doing this can instead do another project, such as the ALRV life extension. And one more year? What if they start retiring CRLVs in September? Might well get fixed, and then retired a few weeks later! No point!

If you got in a collision in your 15 year old car that you intended to retire in a few months, would you bother spending thousands of dollars to repair it?

It's more than just money. The staff doing this can instead do another project, such as the ALRV life extension. And one more year? What if they start retiring CRLVs in September? Might well get fixed, and then retired a few weeks later! No point!
Don't get me wrong, it definitely would've been a waste of time and resources (staff) repairing it I think we all know that. Putting those 2 factors aside, I was just alluding to the TTC's "efficient use" of money lately. Spend money on the flashy, news-worthy stuff but neglect important operational matters

Money wouldn't matter so much if they hadn't wasted millions on the black fleet number boondoggle.

Don't get me wrong, it definitely would've been a waste of time and resources (staff) repairing it I think we all know that. Putting those 2 factors aside, I was just alluding to the TTC's "efficient use" of money lately. Spend money on the flashy, news-worthy stuff but neglect important operational matters

I'll agree with you on that point.

Not sure what you are referring to. In terms of $ of cost per passenger-mile, TTC is ahead of most agencies in North America.

Kids getting a free ride was the mayor's idea and the Commission went along with it, even if staff weren't in favour. The RT wrap jobs are a cheaper way of avoiding giving the RT cars a proper paint job. Wraps have often been used to disguise streetcars in desperate need of body repair and paint. If the car was repaired it might actually stick around and be one of the last ones to go. Not sure if this has any bearing, but if 4062 had been struck by a private vehicle, would the TTC get any money from an insurance claim if the other vehicle was at fault?

Not sure what you are referring to. In terms of $ of cost per passenger-mile, TTC is ahead of most agencies in North America.
I was referring to capital expenditures, which in turn translate to daily operations. The TTC has a habit of deferring numerous projects (ie: streetcar track reconstruction, vehicle maintenance/rebuilds, accessibility projects, etc..) due to a "lack of funds". My point is that instead of wasting money on pointless things, they should focus on putting these funds (regardless of how small they are) into improving things that have an impact on daily operations. For example, instead of the free pass for kids, put that money into reconstructing various streetcar loops and tracks instead of deferring these projects every year, which results in the constant screw ups of service (if you don't know what I mean just look at the 510).

I was referring to capital expenditures, which in turn translate to daily operations. The TTC has a habit of deferring numerous projects (ie: streetcar track reconstruction, vehicle maintenance/rebuilds, accessibility projects, etc..) due to a "lack of funds". My point is that instead of wasting money on pointless things, they should focus on putting these funds (regardless of how small they are) into improving things that have an impact on daily operations. For example, instead of the free pass for kids, put that money into reconstructing various streetcar loops and tracks instead of deferring these projects every year, which results in the constant screw ups of service (if you don't know what I mean just look at the 510).
I doubt the $4 million of revenue they lose for giving under 13s free transit leaves much once they stop printing the children's tickets and distributing them to 3,000 or so ticket sales locations.

I don't see streetcar loops or tracks being significantly deferred. There's a steady stream of money for those infrastructure upgrades, which have in the last 10-15 years pretty much rebuilt the entire network. They are down to routine maintenance and rarely used non-service track.

Back