News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 420     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

I'm pretty sure you meant to put this in the SRT thread, ehlow.

Could Waterloo, or potentially other LRTs like Mississauga potentially make up for some of the Scarborough portion of the LRV order being cancelled?

Mississauga probably would, Waterloo has long since been added to the order and may actually be the ones to receive the first ones off the production line.

Today I had a chance to ride the new streetcar, and I actually like them more than the subway trains. However does anyone notice that they move really slow around curves (in the tunnel, and around Spadina Circle)? Maybe it's just me, but the old ones seemed faster in those areas. But nevertheless, the 510 will still be excruciatingly slow even with all door boarding. I wish something could be done to speed it up.

Also, the new map is nice but it's hard to read because of the angle.

15110770121_1830a9d55b_c.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my video of the streetcar unveiling.

[video=youtube_share;KVE89Z2noLI]http://youtu.be/KVE89Z2noLI?list=UUX-Hig3SImVD5GxzlWb-IQQ[/video]

Notice how Ford wasn't there? I figured he'd have the nerve to show up and then say it was all because of his hard work.

Just had to ruin the footage by adding a cheesy dance beat eh?

Thanks for the video Torontovibe.

Just had to ruin the footage by adding a cheesy dance beat eh?

Hardly a dance beat. I like the music. Very subtle just moves things along.

Anyone not like the fact that on these new streetcars you're going to have to touch more things. Some people really don't like touching the public transit and this one is going to force you to hit a button on the door that thousands of other people have hit and touch the POP station that thousands of others have touched. I mean I know there's ways around it, but it does mean more chance to get germs.

Anyway, very excited to ride the new streetcars soon. Can't wait for them to roll out on my Carlton route in 5 years!

One of my favourite pictures to show friends who complain about being stuck behind streetcars. I say, well think how many cars you'd be stuck behind if all those streetcar riders had driven!

Gridlock_2.jpg

Not sure if I'm right, but I heard that one subway train is equivalent to all the cars headed southbound on the DVP from top to bottom. It says a train hold just over one thousand people so not sure if that's accurate or not, but probably close.

A single subway train is roughly equivalent to how much traffic a single highway lane can handle in an hour, so the entire DVP can theoretically be replaced by 3-4 subway trains an hour.

The busiest part of the 401(403-427) handles roughly as much traffic as the busiest part of the yonge line, for comparison. (Bloor-college)

Last edited:
Yup, especially considering that the 401 in that stretch is quite literally the busiest highway on the planet.

It also sort of shows how silly it is to build subways on places like Sheppard avenue, its like widening the 401 to 32 lanes along there, its a complete overbuild of infrastructure. Building a subway is roughly the equivilant of constructing an 18 lane highway in terms of capacity. (Roughly the same cost per km as well)

Last edited:
That's a great way to vizualize things for the layman. Much better than trying to get them to understand what exactly is 30,000 pphpd.

Is it fair to say that 10,000 phppd is equivalent to 10 lanes of highway?

The streets of Toronto would be a ghost town if everyone commuted with a streetcar

How did the people get around in 1900 when there were very few automobiles?
20101227-1900-Yonge_Street_crowd_celebrating_the_end_of_the_Boer_War.jpg

They walked, used bicycles, or rode the streetcars.

There would be more people on the streets, because there would be no single-occupant cars to block everyone.

That's a great way to vizualize things for the layman. Much better than trying to get them to understand what exactly is 30,000 pphpd.

Is it fair to say that 10,000 phppd is equivalent to 10 lanes of highway?

10 lanes of free flowing but heavily used highway is closer to 22,000 to 25,000 pph. That throughput drops significantly once congestion brings the speed down below 80km/h as often occurs at on/off ramps due to poor merging practices by most drivers.

Not sure if I'm right, but I heard that one subway train is equivalent to all the cars headed southbound on the DVP from top to bottom. It says a train hold just over one thousand people so not sure if that's accurate or not, but probably close.

Vintage_Train_Poster_large.jpg

Attachments

• Vintage_Train_Poster_large.jpg
    Vintage_Train_Poster_large.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 591
I am surprised that the top is not covered. Your photo show quite well how easy it is for road salt to be sprayed onto the top.

We can't even sell these things. We're stuck with them for 30 years, so the city will have to make the best of a bad situation.

If it turns out to be a major problem, it could be solved by elevating the Spadina line to keep it away from the road salt. As a bonus, there wouldn't be a need for the circle around Knox College (it would just go over it) so the reported problems with slow speeds around turns would be negated. As fate would have it, the building is undergoing a major renovation so now is a perfect time to incorporate this into the structure.

If the plan works, the waterfront route should be the next in line to be elevated because it also has to deal with sea spray on top of the road salts.

/sarcasm

Back