News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 436     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Re inward only seats - apparently some people with motion sickness issues have problems with so much side to side motion. Came up with the new subway trains were coming out.

as for Ford, I noted on twitter that Nenshi drove the first LRV into Calgary's latest LRT extension. Someone else reminded me that if Ford never drove anything again that might be a good thing.

I was on 4403 when it left the station 14 minutes late than plan. There was a large gap between the 2 cars at 2 CLRV were place in between them as we headed south. 4400 was coming around the circle when the cars started to fill the gap and we were at Dundas then.

All kind of TTC vehicles follow us down the route. Large number of buses line up around Spadina circle encase things went south. There was some switch issues at QQ loop and the grinder had to be used as well using the bar to throw the switch for car to reloop.

The CLRV's are chewing the top of the platform edge as they leave Spadina loop and you can see it really clear with the torn material and paint.

Nice to have the AC on for the trip.

The run was to be 40 minutes round trip, but took 110 minutes.

Very few riders got off that got on at Spadina from my location to the point a lot of people where doing more than one round trip.

I got off at Spadina and caught 4400 for a round trip. Same thing with riders as 4403 for staying on.

Some big gaps with a number of car going south to King only.

Both cars were man by temporary hired personnel for the next 3 months as well at all stops with fare machines.

When I decided to head home about 6 pm, miss getting 4403 at QQ and decided to catch 4400. No change in peak ridership coming south staying on going north. Most got off at Spadina.

Going back north we pass the PCC and it was at the QQ loop when we when back down. It had the old roll sign up for route and destination in place of the one we normally see. It was pack full. People on the street could get shots of both cars fast enough.

Some leaning curves for drivers, as it one thing to run the car without rider and with riders. I found the driver of 4400 on my home trip not as smooth as the first 2 drivers, but will change as they come more comfortable with the car and riders.

Should have videos up later tonight with luck, but photos are about a month away with the 1'000's I have in front of them and only doing Aug 3rd now.

The side lights as well end flashing lights will not work on the ROW using GPS unless the drivers turns them on.

Was told there more cars on line than there should be. To me, it was encase one or both cars fail in service.

Getting cars out of QQ loop and across the lakeshore was a problem all day cased by traffic and pedestrians. Some time traffic was illegal in the intersection blocking the cars.

They removed all the logos considering they stated on Wed that they would stay on the cars for a few days after going into service. Nice to see this clean look.

Come Tuesday, the fare enforce will be out in force to make sure you have proof of fare payment.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I said that I was concerned about the external route announcements getting annoying. I take that back. The external route announcements are great. You can't even hear them inside the vehicle.

Loved the ride. Smooth throughout, it had door chimes (I love those!), and best of all, AIR CONDITIONING!!!

Did you notice that the car would "jerk" every once in a while? Almost as if it lost electrical power and the motors stopped running for a split second. Other than that the ride was very smooth.

I'm also a fan of the interior. It doesn't feel as sterile as the Toronto Rocket.

Did you notice that the car would "jerk" every once in a while? Almost as if it lost electrical power and the motors stopped running for a split second. Other than that the ride was very smooth.

I did notice that. It wasn't a jerk as much as something activating. I paid attention to it and it seemed to happen once the car was accelerating off a stop. It reminded me of a hybrid car--in which the gas engine will shut off at a stop so as to save power, but obviously that doesn't apply to the LFLRV. I don't know what it was, but because it was so regular (off a stop) I assumed it normal. It wasn't so bad of a jerk.

Hopefully it's trolley pole related, so temporary. Nice that people thought the car was cool temp wise (on twitter) as my understanding was AC was not full power when on trolley pole.

FqjVD0m.jpg

I'm a little peeved that the electronic sign has to look bad in every picture.

Having a couple of goes with 4400 today, the streetcar was nice. It was interesting being at the back and there was speakers for the bell and a horn as well! There is definitely room for improvement even after all the consultation and planning that's gone into this.

First big thing is the speakers. It was difficult hearing the operator when he tried to tell people four times that the Queens Quay Loop platform was not in-service for off-boarding passengers.

Some of the stops called were interrupted by the PA
Some of the stops called were incorrect. "Willcock Street" was one.. "Spadina Avenue" for Queens Quay was another and the oversight of the female saying "510 Spadyna. To Queens Quay..and Spadeena" at nearly every instance of the doors opening. The last few are small bugs that can easily be fixed.

The jerking I felt was going forward and side-to-side especially when we hit a switch or curve Spadina Circle.
Now that I have had 1.5 round trips on this thing, I'm done. I'm going to prioritize the A's and C's while their days are numbered. Especially the A's..
..even if they have no air conditioning.

I would most definitely like to get one of these on the Queensway to see how it handles the usually higher speeds.

At the time of this post, I didn't see 4403 out on the line. And a lot of the CLRV's in service were near empty around 4pm today.

The jerking I felt was going forward and side-to-side especially when we hit a switch or curve Spadina Circle

The swaying side to side definitely caught me off guard. I wouldn't expect that from a vehicle that large. I expected it to ride more like a TR. But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised since the LFLRV isn't any wider than CLRV/ALRV.

Back