News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

TTC: Flexity Streetcars Testing & Delivery (Bombardier)

Technically you're not supposed to do that. I've had drivers get upset at me a few times for asking for a transfer when getting at a bus at a station.

I didn't know this until a few months ago. All my life I've assumed you take a transfer from each station/vehicle you use.

And this is why the TTC really needs to move to standard 2 hour transfers. The existing transfer system can be complicated especially for a tourist.

The TTCs transfer rules are quite clear:

Valid at transfer points on day of issue for a one-way continuous trip - or as otherwise noted on the transfer.

If your trip involves connecting routes and requires a transfer, in subway stations you can get one from the automated transfer machine after you pay your fare and pass through the turnstiles. On buses and streetcars, ask the Operator for a transfer after you pay your fare. Note: Pass holders do not require, and are not entitled to receive, a transfer.
From: http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/Fare_information/Transfers/index.jsp (I assume this page will need an update once the Spadina all-door boarding starts.

Well apparently it's not clear enough, seeing how drivers inconsistency enforce the rules. For example, I've seen drivers refuse entry onto vehicles because they're boarding the bus from the station where the transfer was issue. Mind that even though this is how I see almost everyone use transfers, this is technically prohibited. Conversely, I've seen a driver once refuse entry to a student because the transfer wasn't issued where he was boarding the bus. He said something about the him not being so stupid to allow people on his bus with a transfer they got from some random station.

The machines are a little smaller than the Presto coming in Nov, but will not accept Debit or credit card. The Presto will, as well your phone.

Well it's about time that they did this.

Do you know how it will work? Personally I don't see how mobile payments will work with Presto since there's not a Presto app.

For those of you who don't know, your Presto cards use Near Field Communication technology to communicate with the Presto terminal when tapped. This NFC technology is also found in any half decent Android phone and probably soon the iPhone 6. They can technically be used with tap-to-pay systems such as Presto, but this is not something that Metrolinx has allowed even though it should be trivial to do so.

I actually tried to hack together a method of duplicating the NFC tags in my Presto cards to my phone but was unsuccessful. It's unfortunate because it would be hugely convenient to be able to pay my fare with my phone.

Last edited:

Do you know how it will work? Personally I don't see how mobile payments will work with Presto since there's not a Presto app.

For those of you who don't know, your Presto cards use Near Field Communication technology to communicate with the Presto terminal when tapped. This NFC technology is also found in any half decent Android phone and probably soon the iPhone 6. They can technically be used with tap-to-pay systems such as Presto, but this is not something that Metrolinx has allowed even though it should be trivial to do so.

I actually tried to duplicate the NFC tags in my Presto cards to my phone but was unsuccessful. It's unfortunate because it would be hugely convenient to be able to pay my fare with my phone.

NFC is in all new androids and blackberries.....have you actually heard that Apple are putting it in the 6? That would require them to finally ditch the metal case.

I actually tried to hack together a method of duplicating the NFC tags in my Presto cards to my phone but was unsuccessful. It's unfortunate because it would be hugely convenient to be able to pay my fare with my phone.
This is a short term plan until the the Presto machines roll out in the fall, if them. Some of the Presto fare payment may not work until 2015.

Okay. It's frustrating how long Metrolinx takes to do this. A teenager in his basement over a weekend could easily get Presto payments on a smartphones to work.
Given that last time that Presto tried to bring a large transit agency on board, it went completely south, the equipment didn't work, and the head of Presto got fired, does it surprise you that they are being cautious as they are bringing a much bigger transit agency on board?

NFC is in all new androids and blackberries.....have you actually heard that Apple are putting it in the 6? That would require them to finally ditch the metal case.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/08/28/wired-nfc-mobile-payments/

There are numerous analysts and part leaks that are all saying the same thing. Apple looks to be jumping in with both feet when it comes to NFC now, so I would expect NFC payment to become much more mainstream in the next couple of years. Right now it's kind of a fringe thing.

But yes, a Presto app that a) allows you to pay your fare with your phone, and b) has a way to instantly load your ePurse from the app, or c) ditches the ePurse entirely and simply bills your CC via your iTunes account, would be amazing to have.

As for the 2 hour transfer: God, yes please. Come into the late 20th century like every other large city in Canada. Enough with this antiquated route-based transfer BS.

Great videos as usual

I hope the wheelchair ramp shown in your video is reliable. I understand that the ramps on some of our Orion busses were (are?) notoriously unreliable, often causing busses to go out of service. This cannot be happening with the LFLRV.

4403 wishes you a merry christmas!

Hoo5aj2.gif

The official
New TTC streetcar event details for Aug. 31
from this link:

Media are invited to join the celebration when the TTC’s new low-floor, accessible streetcar officially enters service on the 510 Spadina route this Sunday. Festivities begin at 9:30 a.m., followed by brief remarks, then a dramatic entrance of streetcar #4403, operated by 25-year TTC veteran Eddie Braga. Media are welcome to join customers on the first ride, which will follow the normal 510 Spadina route to Queens Quay loop. Streetcar #4400 will enter service immediately following streetcar #4403.

When: Sunday August 31
Festivities: 9:30 a.m.
Remarks: 10 a.m.
Entrance and inaugural run: 10:10 a.m.
Where: Spadina Station, streetcar platform

From this link,
Proof-of-payment coming to the TTC's 510 spadina route on august 31

The 510 Spadina streetcar route will operate on a proof-of-payment (POP) system beginning this Sunday. All-door boarding on all streetcars on the 510 Spadina line will take effect with the start of service on August 31. In the event of a fare inspection by one of the TTC's new Fare Inspectors, customers will need to show their proof-of-payment (pass, transfer or POP receipt).

Customers will be able to use new fare vending machines and ticket validators located onboard the new streetcars and on-street at the eight busiest stops on the route. Customers riding on the older streetcars will continue to pay at the farebox if they don't have a Metropass or transfer. Here's how the fare payment will work on Spadina.

• Customers boarding the new streetcars can use coins or tokens to purchase a single-ride POP ticket from one of two onboard vending machines. Customers must keep their POP ticket as proof-of-payment and for transferring to intersecting routes or entering stations. The POP ticket acts as a transfer. Riders also have the option to use an on-street vending machine to purchase their fare before boarding.
  • Customers boarding the new streetcars with Senior/Student and Child tickets must validate their fare at one of the two smaller, validator machines next to the fare vending machines. A stamped, validated ticket is their proof-of-payment and transfer, which must be deposited in a farebox when transferring to an intersecting route. Customers also have the option of validating their tickets at an on-street machine before boarding.
  • Customers boarding the new streetcars with a transfer must keep the transfer handy as proof-of-payment. Fare Inspectors, and additional customer service staff, will be assisting riders with the new fare payment process.

POP has been in effect on the 501 Queen route for several years. The 502 Downtowner and the 503 Kingston Rd streetcars use the POP system while running on Queen Street. The 508 Lake Shore cars use POP while running on Lake Shore Boulevard.

Globe & Mail: Why Toronto is still a streetcar city
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/streetcar-city/article20280747/#dashboard/follows/

Being someone who lives near a road with very heavy bus use (Eglinton), I agree that there's something to be said about the noise & ambiance of the transit vehicle.

Diesel buses are extremely noisy and frequent along that road. They do a good job along Eglinton with regards to carrying people. I often see 2-5 buses in a row, each one carrying a lot of people, and you usually see at least one or two every few minutes.

However, the ambiance of sitting on a patio on Queen street with frequent streetcars gliding by is much nicer than sitting on a Patio on Eglinton with the loud buses rumbling by. Not just the engine but the sound of them braking vs the sound of steel wheels on track is much less appealing.

Last edited:

Back