News   Apr 18, 2024
 232     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 397     0 

TTC Fleet Procurement Strategy - 2022

Something I missed in my first reading, that's of interest:

Lastly, the CIP identified the need to replace the existing fixed block signalling system on Line 4 with ATC in order to enable deployment of 6-car consists, matching capacity long-term ridership demand - this program is currently unfunded.

The TTC is musing about upgrading the Sheppard Line to handle full-length trains.

That would require spending some $$$ on the stations!

It would be great if they could start by tiling the bare concrete walls!

Some $, but probably a lot less than the ATC. Knock down some non-structural cinder-block walls, and some new finishes. Nothing of significant expense.

With the current 6-minute service at peak, unchanged since opening, I don't see this happening this decade.

Entirely reasonable supposition.

Two thoughts.

1) Will Yonge North be the trigger for Sheppard West, strictly to allow the train movements from Wilson?

If so, then I imagine there would be a desire to have a re-fit of Sheppard in time for that project's completion.

2) The CIP which envisioned this project is billed as a 15-year document, dated from last year.

Which may suggest a time span in the range of mid 2030s.

Of course, the Bloor-Yonge Expansion and Relief Line were both up for discussion the late 80s ..........anyone else remember ""Network 2011"?

So..... I'm feeling by 2060 at the latest............:D

This is what happens when you don't exercise options in time.

The TTC deserves this for delaying them for so long.

To be fair to the TTC, notwithstanding serious flaws and delays, I think they wanted to exercise their option; but the City wouldn't advance funding.

I've heard rumors of TTC and New Flyer not getting along. Anyone know the history behind it. But yet they have 25 E-electric buses from New Flyer. So what ever so-called beef they had must not be true? I wonder how this will affect bids for future hybrid buses

I've heard rumors of TTC and New Flyer not getting along. Anyone know the history behind it. But yet they have 25 E-electric buses from New Flyer. So what ever so-called beef they had must not be true? I wonder how this will affect bids for future hybrid buses
This requires NFI to submit a bid in which they didn't do claiming they were at a disadvantage with NovaBUS. They also need to meet all the TTC requirements for a bid which they have failed to do in the past. TTC can't even evaluate them if they don't want to be evaluated.

There is no beef. We're talking about two massive corporations, not high school.

Dan

^Although to be fair, there are several instances of TTC management acting like immature pre-teens (outside of them dealing with New Flyer).

The Toronto Rocket design is proven and reliable (they are a tad on the slow side), so could Alstom make a revamped version of the TR's?
Would like to see railfan windows in the front (back) of the trains, so that railfans and kids can see out front (back) during the ride.

Especially if they go driverless...
cd91d40606a12e988e84cfd75576de3c67a556ce-x425.jpg

eb90fa9e3edc693d372e87267e9ea62e6da73d24-x425.jpg

From link. (Will likely go to Line 1 first, shifting the current Toronto Rocket fleet over to Line 2.)

Would like to see railfan windows in the front (back) of the trains, so that railfans and kids can see out front (back) during the ride.

Especially if they go driverless...
cd91d40606a12e988e84cfd75576de3c67a556ce-x425.jpg

eb90fa9e3edc693d372e87267e9ea62e6da73d24-x425.jpg

From link. (Will likely go to Line 1 first, shifting the current Toronto Rocket fleet over to Line 2.)
Windows on the front probably won't be in the design except for the drivers. I don't see the TTC ordering a driverless fleet anytime soon, Maybe the Ontario line will be but we don't know anything about what they are planning on.

Windows on the front probably won't be in the design except for the drivers. I don't see the TTC ordering a driverless fleet anytime soon, Maybe the Ontario line will be but we don't know anything about what they are planning on.
We've known the Ontario Line is planned to be fully automated for a while now.

the info on the TTC website indicates new trains are being designed specifically for line 2 so I doubt they're going to be moving the TR's over. I don't think they plan on having the Obico yard finished by the time they want to start rolling out new rolling stock (2026) so the new trains will probably have to fit in greenwood yeard for at least a little while which I'm pretty sure the TR's dont

Back