573     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 956     3 

TTC Fleet Procurement Strategy - 2022

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
As noted above a new Fleet Procurement Strategy is being brought to the October 22nd TTC meeting.

The strategy encapsulates many items that were known such as a new fleet of 80 trains for Line 2; seeks delegated authority for a further 300 bus purchase of hybrid-electric buses........to be delivered in 2022-2023

But most notably, seeks to approve immediate purchase of 13 new streetcars for delivery in 2023-2025; with a fixed price option for a further 47.

This work would go to Bombardier and be for more of the Flexities.

Report is here:

From the report:

1602856312104.png

1602856340540.png

1602856405023.png

1602856435385.png

1602856521225.png

Also included in the above report are several technological changes to the bus fleet that are under consideration.

These include:

Driver Safety Assist System

1602856839013.png

Enhanced Turn Warning System

1602856884778.png

Bus Platooning

Bus platooning is the linking of two or more buses in a tightly grouped convoy. The bus at the head of the platoon would act as the leader and would be operated by a human driver. The buses behind, connected through a virtual coupler comprising of sensors, cameras, and wireless tethering, would react in real-time to the leader’s commands to steer, accelerate, or brake.

1602856980064.png

Hydrogen Fuel Injection System for Diesel Engines

Responding to an unsolicited proposal from dynaCERT Inc., the New Technology and Innovation team is evaluating a system that generates hydrogen from water through a small electrolyzer and subsequently injects the hydrogen into the engine’s air intake. The premise is that the addition of hydrogen to the engine results in a more complete combustion process, leading to reduced fuel consumption and greenhouse gases emissions.

1602857085582.png

Free Wi-Fi Internet Service

Design Mitigations for COVID-19 and Other Pathogens

1602857184293.png

Hydrogen Fuel Injection System for Diesel Engines

Responding to an unsolicited proposal from dynaCERT Inc., the New Technology and Innovation team is evaluating a system that generates hydrogen from water through a small electrolyzer and subsequently injects the hydrogen into the engine’s air intake. The premise is that the addition of hydrogen to the engine results in a more complete combustion process, leading to reduced fuel consumption and greenhouse gases emissions.
This is pretty interesting. The Ajax Pickering Transit Authority and Oakville Transit tried similar systems in the 2000s. Nothing proceeded past the trials.

Nice to see the intention to buy hundreds of all electric buses starting in 2022. I wonder if they've settled on a specific model yet.

As noted above a new Fleet Procurement Strategy is being brought to the October 22nd TTC meeting.

The strategy encapsulates many items that were known such as a new fleet of 80 trains for Line 2; seeks delegated authority for a further 300 bus purchase of hybrid-electric buses........to be delivered in 2022-2023

But most notably, seeks to approve immediate purchase of 13 new streetcars for delivery in 2023-2025; with a fixed price option for a further 47.

This work would go to Bombardier and be for more of the Flexities.

Report is here:

From the report:

View attachment 276988

View attachment 276989

View attachment 276990

View attachment 276991

View attachment 276992

So the $140 million for 13 vehicles...is this funded? In other words, does the City already have this funding or will they need help even for these13 from the province/feds?

The first table says total cost is in thousands but is actually millions. But... streetcars are $8.3M a piece? Yikes...

So the $140 million for 13 vehicles...is this funded? In other words, does the City already have this funding or will they need help even for these13 from the province/feds?

Yes, they have the 140M; what they don't have is the money for the remaining 47, which is why this is structured the way it is; they need 60, but this is 'purchase 13; and option for 47 more. '

Table 1 in my post above shows the % of funding in place for each purchase.

Last edited:
No, they are testing models from 3 manufacturers at the moment. When they finish testing (late 2021?) they will decide.
Is there a chance of choosing more than one manufacturer. I don’t know about other bus brands on the system but I doubt they are all the same?

Thanks for pointing out that “funded percentage”. I should have been more careful and looked.

That funded percentage is depressing. Especially more so given the hole in city finances next year.

Is there a chance of choosing more than one manufacturer. I don’t know about other bus brands on the system but I doubt they are all the same?

They aren't buying electric in this proposal; they are buying hybrid-electric.

The report requests authority to buy from one, the other, or both makers of said technology.

a. Negotiation of an acceptable agreement, satisfactory to the TTC Chief Executive Officer and General Counsel, with the one or both of the only two qualified suppliers of hybrid-electric buses compliant with Transport Canada’s Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Standards

Decision on all-electric will be made later, post-testing.

Reactions: UD2

Back