News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 621     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 899     0 

TTC: Easier Access Phase III

Any reason not to knock some windows into the station, like they did at Victoria Park?

To get more natural light in, a skylight would actually be easier to do.

Though, w/the TTC's record on maintenance of same.....

I hope someone gets to document the old structure before it comes down. That station has an unbelievable number of nooks and crannies. There's a long closed entrance (still used by the retail units for loading), and there's a pile of space above the bus bays, and I recall a few other spots that had just sort of been walled off and forgotten.

I hope someone gets to document the old structure before it comes down. That station has an unbelievable number of nooks and crannies. There's a long closed entrance (still used by the retail units for loading), and there's a pile of space above the bus bays, and I recall a few other spots that had just sort of been walled off and forgotten.
I think the only walled off section was under the train platforms which was walled off around the same time that they got rid of a number of small areas that people couldn't be seen in for safety reasons.

At Warden? The retail spaces use the stairs for access now via the bus bays. They had a small elevator in the kiss and ride that no longer functions and has not for years. Late at night the retail spaces get their deliveries through the bays.

The only access to the rear corridor is beside Gateway News stands which is not a finished corridor.

The walled off corridor for the public was in the "mezzanine" level behind the escalators are and where the former telephones were located. That has since been turned into a space for TTC Employees

I think the only walled off section was under the train platforms which was walled off around the same time that they got rid of a number of small areas that people couldn't be seen in for safety reasons.

Not sure if this is the rationale for Warden, but it is definitely true - there was a murder at St. Patrick station that lead to certain sections of stations getting walled off for security reasons:

AoD

Not sure if this is the rationale for Warden, but it is definitely true - there was a murder at St. Patrick station that lead to this:

AoD

At Warden it was more about turning it into usable space for TTC staff. It was oversized for current needs given that it was built as a terminal. The corridors may have been closed for safety but I doubt it. If that was the rational they would have closed the entrance onto warden as well (which is one long corridor)

At Warden? The retail spaces use the stairs for access now via the bus bays. They had a small elevator in the kiss and ride that no longer functions and has not for years. Late at night the retail spaces get their deliveries through the bays.

The only access to the rear corridor is beside Gateway News stands which is not a finished corridor.

The walled off corridor for the public was in the "mezzanine" level behind the escalators are and where the former telephones were located. That has since been turned into a space for TTC Employees
It's been about twenty years, but I've serviced that elevator. There were two entrances from the Kiss and Ride, mirror images of each other. The north entrance is still in use, and the south entrance is closed. The elevator (it was actually a dumbwaiter) ran up to the retail corridor on the second level of the bus bays, south side of the station, running behind all the units.

If memory serves, there was a corresponding corridor on the north side of the second floor, and there were large spaces/rooms above the bus bays (corresponding to the spaces occupied by the retail units on the other side).

And I could swear I remember other random back-of-house spaces, but could be mixing it up with other stations. But I distinctly remember that janky dumbwaiter.

It's been about twenty years, but I've serviced that elevator. There were two entrances from the Kiss and Ride, mirror images of each other. The north entrance is still in use, and the south entrance is closed. The elevator (it was actually a dumbwaiter) ran up to the retail corridor on the second level of the bus bays, south side of the station, running behind all the units.

If memory serves, there was a corresponding corridor on the north side of the second floor, and there were large spaces/rooms above the bus bays (corresponding to the spaces occupied by the retail units on the other side).

And I could swear I remember other random back-of-house spaces, but could be mixing it up with other stations. But I distinctly remember that janky dumbwaiter.

Who are you calling a dumbwaiter?
Nuk, nuk, nuk.

I did some digging and you may be right.

I found an image from the City of Toronto Archives via Transit Toronto here: https://transittoronto.ca/photos/su...oor-danforth-subway-29-warden-19680510-1.html

It shows a sign indicating an exit to Warden Avenue via the bus bay area. I cannot place where the second entrance would have been located though as if it was further south, it would have been exiting into the fare paid area just behind the escalators (currently walled off).

The North Side of the bus bays has a washroom, bus bus, 1 store, 1 operator area and a service closet. I have been in the operator room when my father worked TTC but there was no sign of any corridor in there. The retail corridor is bare brick and not capable of being an entrance.

I could be mistaken (I have no memory of the second entrance being open), but I believe there may have been two fare collector booths, one for each entrance. But I'm 100% certain that that station had two entrances from the Kiss and Ride. I should also clarify when I saw "south" I mean "southwest". The second entrance led to the mezzanine with the escalators, on the other side of the stairs to the bus waiting area.

I'm pretty sure the door to the north corridor was beside the door to one of the washrooms. There was a long corridor that ran past and around the washrooms

Again, this is fuzzy from a couple decades ago. I've been back-of-house in most stations and some of them do blur in memory

Edit: Not my photo, but there's a picture of the door to the former second entrance, on the right https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ra9a1Rv2uFX6UTnc7 . There also used to be a bank of telephones there that got bricked over. Many more photos at https://www.stationfixation.com/2015/06/warden.html?m=1

Last edited:
Renderings of Warden station Post-Reconstruction.
1618169917701.png

I'm assuming that this would mean the area outlined in green would be available for development by Create TO - with the potential of a pedestrian friendly station entrance leading to a mid block route through to Warden Ave. Looks good!

Back