514     0 

TTC: Easier Access Phase III

Pre-construction community presentation for Rosedale station:

1601585542230.png

1601585584384.png

1601585471856.png

1601585483162.png

1601585632941.png

2 years + 6-9 months for 2 elevators, that are above ground, out in the open.

That really does seem excessive to me.
Yes, that's an amazingly long project for a station that has no other buildings nearby to make things complicated. The TTC needs to look at the schedule! (Oh, I forgot. It's the TTC : schedules are simply an annoying distraction!)

I wish they would FULLY cover the Rosedale Station, for better protection against the weather. Wonder if the Ontario Line outdoor stations will be fully enclosed or open to the weather?

I wish they would FULLY cover the Rosedale Station, for better protection against the weather. Wonder if the Ontario Line outdoor stations will be fully enclosed or open to the weather?

I trust you have never visited London, UK? The Hammersmith and City line is almost entirely outdoors while a large chunk of other stations on the more prominent lines are as well. They are not demanding enclosure of all their stations.

Enclosing stations is a frill that is not really done unless there is no other option.

I trust you have never visited London, UK? The Hammersmith and City line is almost entirely outdoors while a large chunk of other stations on the more prominent lines are as well. They are not demanding enclosure of all their stations.

Enclosing stations is a frill that is not really done unless there is no other option.

With great respect; London doesn't get much snow; and is nowhere near as cold in the winter months.

Its really not a reasonable comparison, any more than comparing Toronto to Vancouver or Miami.

You could reasonably compare Montreal or Chicago.

But if you've ever been on Chicago's El...........well, the experience, I would argue leaves something to be desired, as do many of the stations.

Last edited:
With great respect; London doesn't get much snow; and is nowhere near as cold in the winter months.

Its really not a reasonable comparison, any more than comparing Toronto Vancouver or Miami.

You could reasonably compare Montreal or Chicago.

But if you've ever been on Chicago's El...........well, the experience, I would argue leaves something to be desired, as do many of the stations.

The same reason elevators were not installed on the original Yonge subway. The designers were not handicapped at the time of design. Wonder if the current designers of any of the public transit projects even use public transit today.

What a weird flex. "You clearly haven't been to London, where many a tube station is merry and uncovered, you poor, uncultured country bumpkin."

There's a stronger argument for fully covering a subway station in Toronto than there would be in London: weather.

Since Metrolinx is considering installed PSDs, it would be more than easy to have the platforms be climate controlled environments.

Well *more easy* perhaps, sealing the platforms will require a lot of work since they are designed to be open-air in many cases. In many cases I would expect PSD's to be like the ones on Sydney Metro or Paris Line 14, leaving air free to flow in and out.

There's this new invention called "screens". So it won't be "sealed".

There's this new invention called "screens". So it won't be "sealed".
People seem to have this idea that when they put in platform edge doors they will be full length and then the TTC is going to spend money retrofitting every subway station to have heating and Air conditioning systems in them.

People seem to have this idea that when they put in platform edge doors they will be full length and then the TTC is going to spend money retrofitting every subway station to have heating and Air conditioning systems in them.

While Platform-Edge-Doors are a pre-requisite for A/C or Central Heat; that it most certainly not planned or budgeted for in the preliminary project plans.

If the PEDs were full-height and substantially sealed off the air flow from the tunnels, the stations would overwhelmingly require new ventilation systems.

That would be more expensive than the PEDs themselves.

It would be possible to do directional heaters, such as those being into bus shelters onto portion of select platforms; but to be of any utility, you would likely require a semi-enclosed shelter on the platform itself.

This isn't a particularly likely outcome.

The biggest benefit of this type that may result from PEDs is that it might cause new stations to have HVAC in the design.

Retrofitting older stations is likely a very, very long way away.

The biggest benefit of this type that may result from PEDs is that it might cause new stations to have HVAC in the design.
I don't really see that happening either because of the added expense of it. Is there any system in the world that is either operating or being built that has full HVAC in its stations or even some of them?

. Is there any system in the world that is either operating or being built that has full HVAC in its stations or even some of them?

Riyadh, in Saudi Arabia (under construction)

Tokyo Metro has air conditioning at many underground stations (not sure about all)

Underground stations in New Delhi also have a/c

Guangzhou Metro is putting a/c in their new stations (not sure if its in older ones)

Tehran's system has a/c in all the stations I believe.

Back