News   Aug 01, 2024
 238     0 
News   Aug 01, 2024
 338     1 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 1.5K     0 

TTC Cutting Service at the end of month

Increased bus service brings more people to the subway, which means a longer wait until you can squeeze onto a train. Decreased bus service brings fewer people to the subway, but means a longer wait until you can squeeze onto a bus. Either way, you'll have a longer wait for at least part of your trip.

Only relying on the subway, I will happen to benefit from this change by only having to wait for 3 trains to go by instead of 4 by the time I can board.

At the end of the day, the current TTC map bears a striking resemblance to the map that existed 40 years ago, at which time the city was 50% smaller. Therein lies the largest problem! In the bigger picture, it is inconsequential that a few bus routes are seeing slightly worse service.

The service cuts aren't enough to turn many riders away (just some who give up trying to get on buses) to affect your personal subway ride, Chuck. This is a case of poor management - I heard that these cuts were planned earlier as a result of reduced ridership due to the 25 cent fare hike. Well, the ridership never dropped, yet the TTC is doing this anyway.

Three buses are being removed from the 96 Wilson both in the AM and PM, over all, there will be 21 fewer buses and streetcars in the AM peak and 17 fewer buses and streetcars on the road in the PM peak (accounting for a few increases, such as an extra bus on the 192).

Weekend service seems to be more of an re-allocation of buses.

Details:
http://stevemunro.ca/?p=3474

Why is the TTC reducing service when "Analysts believe gas prices could zoom past $3 (USD) per gallon by spring"? Shouldn't they be increasing service if the price of gasoline is forecast to go up? Maybe the price of diesel fuel will be too high, so that is why they are reducing the number of buses to save on fuel?

Click on this link.

Last edited:
That's not the reason. The TTC buys its diesel at a contracted bulk rate. Why would they cut a streetcar from each of the Dundas and Carlton lines, then?
I don't know, why would they? ... unless the reason is that they are running short of streetcars that are in reliable working condition, as I have heard suggested?

Why would they cut a streetcar from each of the Dundas and Carlton lines, then?
The board period is fairly close to the end of university lectures at the end of March. Exams begin in April so surely there's some drop in traffic both to UT and Ryerson.

Back