News   Apr 19, 2024
 430     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 585     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 983     3 

TTC CLRV Streetcars: Where will they go once they are retired?

I'm not fully understanding this. Is English your first language?
I see you live in Philadelphia, so yes. to you I speak a foreign language - Canadian English. I thought it was quite clear but to expand: the TTC's plan is to remove the trolley poles once they complete they finish upgrading of the overhead. Apart from need for more power (thicker wire) this work involves (eventually) removing all the 'frogs' which are essential for poles but not necessary for pans, they are also moving over to self-tensioning overhead (which is great for pans but poles won't work as there are then breaks in the contact wire ) and they will slew the contact wire right to left along the direction of travel so that wear on the carbons on the pantographs is evened out rather than forming a groove.

Was told that the system will be compatible to both modes so that pans can run for Flexities and poles for the historic fleet.

They can replace the historic CLRV's, PCC's, and even the Peter Witts with pantographs.

4506774831_ee636bbb7a_b.jpg

From link.

PAT4009_002_Washington_Junction_bag.jpg

From link.

I stand to be corrected, but once TTC removes all the frogs at intersections and elsewhere, that the end the line poles. Pans would have to replace the poles on the Heritage Fleet that will cost time and money to do it.

The earliest I can see any charter runs taking place is 2022 and gives TTC some time to start replacing poles with pans. Maybe why 4001 is up at Hillcrest now.

Reactions: DSC
Was told that the system will be compatible to both modes so that pans can run for Flexities and poles for the historic fleet.
Many parts of the system are already incompatible with trolley poles, such as St. Clair West Station which converted to rigid overhead in the underground section. TTC staff communicated to me that the plan is to install pantographs on the entire heritage fleet.

Many parts of the system are already incompatible with trolley poles, such as St. Clair West Station which converted to rigid overhead in the underground section. TTC staff communicated to me that the plan is to install pantographs on the entire heritage fleet.
You still can use an heritage car on St Clair only for one run in each direction going west of Bathurst St. Going east is DOA with the new overhead. I expect to see that overhead been use elsewhere in the system over time.

It was known years ago that the heritage fleet would have to be fitted with pans or put on display somewhere once the duel system was converted to pans 100%.

When 505 Dundas was converted to pantograph they weren't running cars with trolley poles west of Parliament because of a claimed incompatibility. All the intersection overhead was strung up with the same trolley pole compatible hardware you see elsewhere in the system. It looked like the only difference was the slewing of the contact wire.

There are likely large parts of the system on which the heritage fleet cannot run, which at this point include sections of 505, 506 & 512 routes. I recall the TTC also claimed it couldn't run the PCCs on the 509 in 2019 and that may have been for the same reason.

You still can use an heritage car on St Clair only for one run in each direction going west of Bathurst St. Going east is DOA with the new overhead.

No, you can't. All trolley pole operation is banned on the St. Clair trackage. They have done adjustments to the overhead west of Bathurst to optimize it for pantograph operation.

Dan

I stand to be corrected, but once TTC removes all the frogs at intersections and elsewhere, that the end the line poles. Pans would have to replace the poles on the Heritage Fleet that will cost time and money to do it.

The earliest I can see any charter runs taking place is 2022 and gives TTC some time to start replacing poles with pans. Maybe why 4001 is up at Hillcrest now.

Replacing trolley poles with pantographs would be like replacing incandescent light bulbs on the Peter Witts or PCCs with LED light bulbs (with the same colour temperature as the incandescent, 2700± K). The initial cost would be higher, but over time they will get cheaper. They'll in the end just grab a pantograph off their inventory.

I hope they are going to put it back! I loved seeing the PCC along Highway 6 when I drove that way, even if it is just sitting there rotting..

I'm actually glad to see it has been repurposed. So often, people collect old things without the resources or plans to maintain them. This particular vehicle was beginning to look pretty tragic.

It's not the first time a TTC vehicle has gone on to a life on a studio set.

- Paul

Long Way from Home.jpg

Back