News   Mar 28, 2024
 970     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 544     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 839     0 

TTC CLRV Streetcars: Where will they go once they are retired?

Alex, do you intend to lay enough track to run it, at some point?

That would be a dream, and I’d love to, but cost is the main prohibitor at this point. 60 feet of track cost around $1200 when the cost of rail (1930s headfree), joiner bars, spikes, and plates was factored in. I was lucky to have the ties donated by a generous short line, which can run for between $17 and $30 each. As I’ve said, the farm has half a kilometre of flat rail bed on it, which would be perfect to run it on. If I won the lottery, that’s the first thing I’d do. Interestingly, I also signed something that said that I wouldn’t use it for revenue service, so as long as I didn’t charge a fare, I assume it would be fine.

There will be a lot of moisture and condensation on the car when we get into fall when the nights are chilly and the days are warm, that's when getting some cover on it will really help. The condensation gets into cracks in the paint and body filler and then later that trapped moisture expands when you get frosty nights. Anything you can put over it to keep moisture out of cracks in the paint will make a difference to slow down body deterioration.

It will be interesting to see if any of SEPTA PCC-II will see a new home come Jan 25 when they retire. They are currently on Route 15 there.

Like most of TTC old Fleet that is seeing the scrap yard, the PCC will join them. At the rate SEPTA is going, streetcars will be a thing of the past as they have no plans to order more cars, considering they were looking at TTC Flexity to replace 141 50' Kawasaki 1980-82 trolleys, since they had 30-33' foot curves.
They're not being retired.
They're being overhauled since they have structural issues in the undercarriage.
3 are at Woodland Shop being done as we speak. The remaining 18 are at Elmwood Depot alongside the K cars.
They're scheduled to return later this year pending covid didn't push the schedule back too much.

What's the pantograph conversion status?
Once the TTC streetcar network is fully converted to pantographs, what will happen to the museum vehicle fleet? The Peter Witt, etc. Will they be converted to pantographs, or will certain streetcar routes remain permanently trolleypole compatible?

P.S. I see Spadina exclusively using pantographs now, but trolleypoles everywhere on Queen.
Was told that the system will be compatible to both modes so that pans can run for Flexities and poles for the historic fleet.

Was told that the system will be compatible to both modes so that pans can run for Flexities and poles for the historic fleet.
That is not technically possible if (or when) the TTC adjust the overhead so that the pans work to their full potential. They are working towards this already and aim to be 100% done in about 2 years.

Back