News   May 06, 2024
 184     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 710     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 584     1 

TTC: Cherry Street reconstruction and streetcar trackage (City of Toronto/TTC, U/C)

One reason any future DRL should go as far south as possible. The Port Lands is a huge area that will at some point generate significant traffic. The closer to a subway the better.

That would make sense. Possibly as a limited service spur like seen in other cities (say, Philadelphia's Broad Street line). I do have my reservations about how realistic it would be to bring the DRL south of Lake Shore. Both because it would be difficult constructing a tunnel through that toxic saturated infill - but also because it’d create too circuitous a route.

Maybe at the very least label a streetcar line as a ‘spur’ of the DRL, and have it run grade-separated (or mostly) through the Port Lands...similar to the setup of Boston’s Ashmont-Mattapan branch of its Red Line. If the DRL were to somehow use Light Rail – or even streetcars – have a branch similar to their Green Line; thus offering a transferless ride into downtown.

All things considered though, I think streetcars are the most we can hope for. I’d like them to be as grade-separated as possible, but am expecting traffic lights and intersections every hundred metres. Frankly the only part of Doug’s “backroom vision” for the waterfront that I supported somewhat was the use of an elevated line through there. I’d wager that, track-for-track, it could be built for less than QQEast and Cherry lines.

* Clearly the first requirement is to have the QQE line operating up to Parliament Street.
* It will, eventually, be extended to Cherry when QQE is extended to Cherry but this is probably several years away.
* Cherry Street will be completely rebuilt south of the rail berm and a new bridge constructed (though streetcars can use lift bridges - several in Amsterdam.)
* An LRT line into the Port Lands may then happen but extending it to Leslie Street is decades away.
* Bringing the line under the rail berm is not a cheap thing as it requires a new tunnel as it cannot (they say) use the existing road one.

Okay, right. I figured QQE would be built in one go from Union to Cherry, but I guess Parliament is the foreseeable terminus. And you’re correct that going under the railway berm wouldn’t be cheap. As it stands a Parliament-Union QQE is what, +$300M? I’m not sure how much this berm underpass would cost, but I’m guessing the total Union-Cherry streetcar will be $400M – which is an insane amount of money. Add in the vehicles and inflation and we’re looking at over half a billion. Many cities can build an entire rapid transit line for such money.

It’s definitely hard to get a straight answer on timelines, because much of this has fallen off the radar. I’m aware that in Aug Byford bypassed City Hall in asking higher levels of gov’t for funding a complete Waterfront West and East Bayfront (QQE) line, and that private developers/stakeholders are pushing very hard to get this through.

As for anything south on Cherry and into the Port Lands, I don’t think any timeline is reliable. Even with the recent accelerated Port Lands studies, things seem to be morphing all the time, and any transit financing is unheard of. But thanks for clarifying that lift bridges can work for streetcars - although such infrastructure would only compound the cost and complexity.

Perhaps the scope of this post makes it belong in the Port Lands or QQE threads, but all seem to be off people’s radar. Frankly I’d love for this area to be like Boston, San Fran, or Philadelphia - with various rail modes connecting to subway stations and tree-lined grade-separated ROWs. But at the same time I feel like we’re trying to fit a costly square peg into a round hole...only to end up with slow transit that ends up diverting funds from, say, a DRL. And considering the amount of development and cross streets planned, this line will be less Transit City and more Spadina in terms of speed.

Although it doesn’t offer the same level of high density linear development like a streetcar line, I figure an elevated ‘light’ line along QQE to the Port Lands could be built for less money overall – while offering real rapid transit and higher speeds.

As a follow up.

There are only 2 options to take Cherry St south and costly. The rail berm is a barrier that either Cherry underpass is lower with a single lane of mix traffic as well have 2 new tunnels for cycles as option 1. Option 2 is a full new underpass at a cost of about $50 million and would have an impact on GO service for 2 years. Under option 2, there was talk of building a GO station there to service all GO lines. With the talk of a DRL station to the east, the GO station would be move there with the RH line not servicing it.

Transit in the Portland is a 25-50 year time frame using streetcar as transit first option when I and other wrote the Master Transit Plan back in 2004. The only problem doing Streetcar as transit first for the area is TTC not willing to do it as well not having a design what the streets will look like. This include building the infrastructure now.

The new Cherry St to the shipping channel will not be in place for at least 10-15 years at the rate things are going along with changing the approved layout. It will be west of where it is now as noted.

QQ east is a huge barrier at this time due to TTC Dumb idea for Union Station Loop that has stall the the extension to Parliament St. Between TTC demand for the loop that has increase in cost and no money to cover it, it dead at this time. That extension was to be completed next year as plan along with the new road that the west is getting now. There has been a number of studies about using an BRT in the east until funds are found to build the tracks as well for the Portland area. It been almost a year that we last looked at a BRT on QQ E and it was DOA. This has been a barrier getting East Bay built since transit was promises to be there with new cars back operating in 2007.

Have to thank the Ford's for this mess for both areas since they had a total different vision for what the waterfront should look like and hate streetcars.

The Gardiner has no impact on extending Cherry St other than where the Lake Shore will cross it. Cherry St Line has been (or was) design to use any line on the waterfront with lines running all over the place.

One of the big push was to get Commissioner St design and built ASP so it would allow TTC to get cars in/out of the new carhouse faster as well moving traffic better. Hydro One is an issues here at this time.

Until the city gets it act together, transit and the waterfront are screw at this time.

What was vision for the Waterfront and what happening now, it will be more density than plan and you will need streetcars 100%.

I should note that The Master Plan got change by TTC after the plan was approved by dropping the Lake Shore line and a huge mistake.

Good stuff, seems you have the insider knowledge. You mentioned "streetcar as transit first". Were there options for rapid transit?...or maybe I'll check this report you mentioned. Perhaps WaterfrontTO should somehow take control of all area transit planning, building, and financing?

Last edited:
The view from the GO Train yesterday:

P1430049.jpg

Attachments

• P1430049.jpg
    P1430049.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 1,976
Some fencing and trees going up along the Sumach section.

IMAG0236.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0236.jpg
    IMAG0236.jpg
    913 KB · Views: 1,784
It's open! Walked through it today. Traffic lights at Front and Cherry aren't yet active, intersections are all-way stop.
I cycled down it today and suspect that the lights at Cherry/Front and Cherry/Mill will not be turned on until Mill and Front go east of Cherry, after the Games. It took a hell of a long time to get Cherry and Old Eastern opened. Now to get Underpass Park Part 2 open.

This on Star website today:

One really has to wonder why or how the change of ownership from one level of government to another could possibly have taken so long. Let's hope they are busily working on ensuring that Mill and Front can be reopened immediately after the PAG as they too probably moved a bit and more land transfers may be necessary. Bureaucracy! (I like the positive spin by the IO rep - I know that the 'local community' (the West Don lands Committee) had been complaining bout the continuing closure for well over a year and had recently sponsored an online petition to get it opened. Yes, they (we) are pleased it has reopened but it took FAR too long!

After being closed for about three years, Cherry St. in Toronto’s West Don Lands has finally reopened.

The street, which runs from the Distillery District to Toronto’s waterfront, was closed in 2011 as part of the West Don Lands revitalization project and the construction of the Pan Am and Parapan American Games Athletes’ Village.

Mandy Downes, communication manager for Infrastructure Ontario, has said the response to the Nov. 17 reopening of Cherry St. has been positive.

“The community has been really supportive and patient with us for this project. We were in regular contact with them, and gave them updates,” she said.

“I would say the general sense from the community is that they are really excited to have it open again.”

Downes said the revitalization included the widening of Cherry St., the creation of a dedicated streetcar lane, and the addition of “improved streetscape features.”

Most of the streetcar tracks have been laid, but TTC service won’t be running along the dedicated lane until after the Pan Am games in 2015.

“There isn’t a huge rush to put a streetcar that goes down once and then is cut off for a year,” said Pam McConnell, Ward 28 city councilor, to the Star in October.

“But having the infrastructure in early does mean that we can do it as soon as we open the residential community. We’ll be in better shape to make sure the transportation will be ready as well.”

The TTC expects the streetcar to have three stops.

A portion of Cherry St. south of Mill St. to Lake Shore Blvd. was reopened to the public in June of this year, but the rest of the street had to remain closed until Monday.

“The rest of the street had to remain closed until we completed all of the construction and finalized the process of transferring the provincially owned portions of the expanded road to the City of Toronto,” said Mandy Downes, communication manager for Infrastructure Ontario.

In order to widen Cherry St., the city had to obtain ownership of the provincially owned land on either side. The road was completed during the negotiations.

The ownership transfer was made official on Nov. 14.

One really has to wonder why or how the change of ownership from one level of government to another could possibly have taken so long.

Three or four years ago I was trying to do some wwweb research on the house that used to stand at 90 Mill Street (which is the lot on the north-west corner of Mill and Cherry), and I came across a document that listed the address among several provincially-owned properties that were in arrears on their municipal property taxes. I’ve not had any luck relocating that link, but perhaps that was the issue that held things up.

Three or four years ago I was trying to do some wwweb research on the house that used to stand at 90 Mill Street (which is the lot on the north-west corner of Mill and Cherry), and I came across a document that listed the address among several provincially-owned properties that were in arrears on their municipal property taxes. I’ve not had any luck relocating that link, but perhaps that was the issue that held things up.
I suspect that the delay was because they only started the process when the road was finished and someone realised that ownership needed to be transferred.

Back