News   Aug 12, 2024
 346     1 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 529     0 

TTC: Cherry Street reconstruction and streetcar trackage (City of Toronto/TTC, U/C)

Is there a map of the proposed streetcar route with stops anywhere?
It runs down Sumach / Cherry from King to just north of the rail bridge so a map is hardly needed. As it will not actually be working until late 2015 I do not think that the TTC has actually decided on stops but I would anticipate maybe only one between King and the loop - probably at Cherry and Front (and maybe one at Cherry/Sumach and Eastern.)

Well what do you know... it's already on Google maps. Just a cute little spur.

Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 3.22.51 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 3.22.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 3.22.51 PM.png
    453.3 KB · Views: 1,256
I came across a document that listed the address among several provincially-owned properties that were in arrears on their municipal property taxes. I’ve not had any luck relocating that link, but perhaps that was the issue that held things up.

Nope, can't be, because the province doesn't pay property taxes. It's possible a previous private owner had been in arrears, but that liability remains on them after the province buys, IIRC.

Oddly enough, I can't recall ever actually seeing a nice clear one. The EA doesn't really discuss the stops in any detail, but the renders in that document show a nearside stop in each direction at Front, and the map in it has unlabelled black markings that correspond to stops both there and in the loop. I would also take it as a safe bet there'd be a last northbound stop at the King light before turning, but there's nothing firmly indicated.

This is the best map of the streetcar stops that I could find. Pulled it form the Canary District website.
Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 00.43.30.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 23.37.44.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 23.37.44.png
    922.2 KB · Views: 867
  • Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 00.43.30.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-29 at 00.43.30.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,059
Frankly, I doubt Streetcar have any real idea of where the TTC will eventually install stops. Personally, as the TTC are now keen to reduce stops in the, rather mistaken, view that stops cause delay I will be surprised to see one at both Front and Mill and bet it will be Mill so that it connects to the 72/172 bus route. We will find out in fall 2015.

Frankly, I doubt Streetcar have any real idea of where the TTC will eventually install stops. Personally, as the TTC are now keen to reduce stops in the, rather mistaken, view that stops cause delay I will be surprised to see one at both Front and Mill and bet it will be Mill so that it connects to the 72/172 bus route. We will find out in fall 2015.
Haven't they already done the concrete work?

Yes, the ROW is finished and there are no obvious signs of any of the new TTC streetcar stop ramps on Cherry but the streetcar is in a separate ROW so I think the ramps are not necessary.
Good point. Hmm, I wonder why they don't use some kind of metal pad to indicate where the accessible streetcar doors are - but they aren't doing this on Spadina either are they?

I just walked on Cherry to look at the situation 'on the ground' and am now a bit confused. There is no problem having as many stops as they want going northbound as the track is adjacent to the sidewalk. Going south there is a thin strip of concrete that has trees and plants separating tracks from road. For southbound stops they need to install some kind of a concrete 'platform' rather than the trees/plants. There is definitely no such thing at Eastern; there is a rather short concrete 'platform' at Front that's a bit wider than the normal tree/plant 'barrier' but it does not look long enough to me. I could not see much at Mill. At the loop I assume there could be stops with no problem. I suspect that they may need to do a bit more work when they decide where the southbound stops will be!

Or maybe they forgot? (It IS the TTC you know! :->)
I don't think they forgot. It could be that Front and the loop south of Mill are the only two stops. This is a 500m spur line so you don't need more than 2 stops. King/Sumach will be a stop, then Front/Cherry, then Cherry/Mill loop.

I don't think they forgot. It could be that Front and the loop south of Mill are the only two stops. This is a 500m spur line so you don't need more than 2 stops. King/Sumach will be a stop, then Front/Cherry, then Cherry/Mill loop.

Considering the controversy that pops up over closely-spaced streetcar stops every now and then (not without legitimate reason of course...we all know about the Yonge then Victoria stops), I wouldn't be surprised if those were the only stops.

Still, I find it a slight bit laughable that the West Don Lands are being billed as fully transit-accessible when their primary transit access comes from the aforementioned 500m streetcar spur, located at the westernmost point of the entire neighbourhood, with less-than-frequent service and (potentially) very few stops.

I may come across as griping a bit, but having recently ridden the utter travesty that is the Queens Quay ROW that the TTC spent years refurbishing, my patience with the TTC grows a little thin. I'll believe "fully transit-accessible" one day when the West Don Lands get a DRL stop or a satellite GO RER station.

Still, I find it a slight bit laughable that the West Don Lands are being billed as fully transit-accessible when their primary transit access comes from the aforementioned 500m streetcar spur, located at the westernmost point of the entire neighbourhood, with less-than-frequent service and (potentially) very few stops.

I may come across as griping a bit, but having recently ridden the utter travesty that is the Queens Quay ROW that the TTC spent years refurbishing, my patience with the TTC grows a little thin. I'll believe "fully transit-accessible" one day when the West Don Lands get a DRL stop or a satellite GO RER station.

Buses aren't transit?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back