News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 964     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

TTC: Cherry Street reconstruction and streetcar trackage (City of Toronto/TTC, U/C)

There's a sign on the bulletin board in my condo (along The Esplanade) advising people of the imminent loss of the 172A route, encouraging people to attend a meeting and call our councillor in protest. Looking at the proposed routes, it looks like the 121 covers most of the 172A route, but some people aren't happy with this proposal.
Apparently they were saying that the 121A (main branch that runs most of the time) doesn't take them to Cherry St. So seniors can't take one bus to T&T or Sound Academy which they can do now with the 172A. They were told to take the 121 west to Union and then east along the 72B. A simple fix would be to just extend the 121 to Commissioners/Cherry. TTC's answer is they only represent a very small percentage so for the greater goods, who cares about them.

The point is the old 121 Front-Esplanade, 72A Pape and 172A Cherry St all went from The Esplanade to Commissioners.

TTC board has approved the new 514 Cherry streetcar. It goes into service in June with a mix of old and new streetcars.

I wonder when they will run a test of the new streetcars down it sometime in May possibly or sooner in case they have to make changes?

I wonder when they will run a test of the new streetcars down it sometime in May possibly or sooner in case they have to make changes?
Of course they will. They'll run it with the trolley pole and pantograph too. Probably in the middle of the night.

Hopefully 4401 is at least allowed to do that and not have a service car to do it when it could be in service or being serviced.

So now they say that the route won't start off with just the new streetcars. So they'll have to make 514 banners for the old streetcars.

So now they say that the route won't start off with just the new streetcars. So they'll have to make 514 banners for the old streetcars.
It was always assumed that they won't have 10 brand new shiny streetcars delivered by June for the 514. The 514 will have a phase in period between June and Spetermber. What's coming in April and May would be for the 509.

CLRV's or ALRV's first for 514?
Since this the the heaviest ridership section, I expect to see ALRV being use with the odd one doing the full line run until TTC has enough cars come the fall/year end to go 100% with new cars.

If we "DO" get/have 54 cars in service by year end, expect to see the odd car or 2 showing up on lines that don't see them now. This would be a soft roll out for all lines so everyone can get the opportunity to ride these new cars sooner than later.

Since this the the heaviest ridership section, I expect to see ALRV being use with the odd one doing the full line run until TTC has enough cars come the fall/year end to go 100% with new cars.

If we "DO" get/have 54 cars in service by year end, expect to see the odd car or 2 showing up on lines that don't see them now. This would be a soft roll out for all lines so everyone can get the opportunity to ride these new cars sooner than later.
Also lets the TTC say "HEY Look! all our Lines are now accessible!.....(if you wait a long time for an LFRV)"

Back