News   Jul 15, 2024
 358     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 526     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 557     0 

TTC: Cherry Street reconstruction and streetcar trackage (City of Toronto/TTC, U/C)

At the Gooderham & Worts Neighbourhood Assn tonight Laurence Lui of the TTC announced that the Cherry Street streetcar (514 Cherry to Dufferin) will start on June 19 (if TTC Board approve in March.) At same time the new 121 bus (Fort York to Distillery) will start. It will run from Fort York to Cherry/Mill along Front and The Esplanade and be 'frequent'. Once people move into West Don Lands and they evaluate ridership the are open to extending this route further east into Canary district and, at some future date, further west to Liberty Village. He will present this all again at the SLNA meeting on 24 February. See www.slna.ca

Erm.... aren't people already moving in to the Canary District now?

So why can't the TTC run a few excursion streetcars on the weekend. Like every hour or something, for the public to ride the spur and see the district before service starts.

So why can't the TTC run a few excursion streetcars on the weekend. Like every hour or something, for the public to ride the spur and see the district before service starts.

If it's not a "new" service (i.e. no new drivers), I don't see why the TTC needs to seek board approval for what otherwise is a minor route change or short turn (At least in the short term using existing king runs)

If it's not a "new" service (i.e. no new drivers), I don't see why the TTC needs to seek board approval for what otherwise is a minor route change or short turn (At least in the short term using existing king runs)

I guess I mean something that isn't regular revenue service, and only run on weekends. Perhaps using a PCC, and running back and forth between Broadview and Cherry Loop. And it'd be a good way to show off the neighbourhood to potential investors, so maybe the Prov would be willing to pay to run this temporary excursion shuttle.

I guess I mean something that isn't regular revenue service, and only run on weekends. Perhaps using a PCC, and running back and forth between Broadview and Cherry Loop. And it'd be a good way to show off the neighbourhood to potential investors, so maybe the Prov would be willing to pay to run this temporary excursion shuttle.

I don't think the PCC are up for service right now as they haven't given them some TLC for a little bit

I don't think the PCC are up for service right now as they haven't given them some TLC for a little bit

I thought they were always on standby for charter. Which is basically what it'd be, a charter of sorts. Thinking about it now, I'm actually more surprised the Prov isn't doing this to sell this neighbourhood. I'd wager that if you asked the average Torontonian where the Canary District is, or where the Pan Ams Athlete's Village was located, 95% would have no idea. People don't know this area of the city, or this amazing neighbourhood. Which is a shame because it's a perfect showcase.

Looking up the charter rates, it says:

PCC streetcar
  • Passenger capacity: 46 seats (maximum 65 total seating and standing)
  • Three hour minimum $1,665.00 + $216.45 HST = $1,881.45
  • Each additional hour $392.00 + $50.96 HST = $442.96
  • The PCC streetcar is available for charter between April and October
*not sure why it's not available in the winter months

I thought they were always on standby for charter. Which is basically what it'd be, a charter of sorts. Thinking about it now, I'm actually more surprised the Prov isn't doing this to sell this neighbourhood. I'd wager that if you asked the average Torontonian where the Canary District is, or where the Pan Ams Athlete's Village was located, 95% would have no idea. People don't know this area of the city, or this amazing neighbourhood. Which is a shame because it's a perfect showcase.

Looking up the charter rates, it says:

PCC streetcar
  • Passenger capacity: 46 seats (maximum 65 total seating and standing)
  • Three hour minimum $1,665.00 + $216.45 HST = $1,881.45
  • Each additional hour $392.00 + $50.96 HST = $442.96
  • The PCC streetcar is available for charter between April and October
*not sure why it's not available in the winter months

I almost want to do a group charter of the PCC to run it down Cherry before the line officially opens. In doing so, you would literally make history. $1,881.45 divided between 65 people is only $28.95 per person, or similar to a non-Presto ride on the UP Express.

I don't see how that's even possible at peak.
The current buses that supplement the streetcars between Dufferin and Parliament on the 504 King will, apparently, be replaced by streetcars (going to the Cherry loop) as soon as we get a few more. Even if there are not more TRIPS there will be more CAPACITY as streetcars hold far more people.

The current buses that supplement the streetcars between Dufferin and Parliament on the 504 King will, apparently, be replaced by streetcars (going to the Cherry loop) as soon as we get a few more. Even if there are not more TRIPS there will be more CAPACITY as streetcars hold far more people.
Those buses were streetcars previously. And at peak, the schedule has them all the way up Broadview.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do this. But I don't see how they going to be NEW trips.

Back