News   Apr 26, 2024
 599     2 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 222     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 705     0 

TTC Cartography, Signage, and Wayfinding

I found Tokyo easier - even though I don't speak the language (I think they have some complicated system where you have to pay different fares to switch to certain lines, but for tourists it's all included in one price).

^Unlike most western nations, Tokyo's rail system is essentially privatized similarly to how Westjet and Air Canada charge different prices on the same route and also partly why they are so reliable (customers will stop using your train if you're always late). The numbering system is an interesting concept, it definitely helps in Toronto's case given a significant amount of tourists coming from Asia nowadays and some stop names, like Spadina, aren't in line with English pronunciation. As much of a good idea that it sounds, the TTC always seem conservative on these sort of ideas and likes to copy Europe in regards to signage, so anything as revolutionary as this would probably needed to be adopted widespread elsewhere first before the TTC ever catches on.

^Unlike most western nations, Tokyo's rail system is essentially privatized similarly to how Westjet and Air Canada charge different prices on the same route and also partly why they are so reliable (customers will stop using your train if you're always late). The numbering system is an interesting concept, it definitely helps in Toronto's case given a significant amount of tourists coming from Asia nowadays and some stop names, like Spadina, aren't in line with English pronunciation. As much of a good idea that it sounds, the TTC always seem conservative on these sort of ideas and likes to copy Europe in regards to signage, so anything as revolutionary as this would probably needed to be adopted widespread elsewhere first before the TTC ever catches on.

TTC would almost certainly wait for other countries feedback before launching something similar. European style maps are a large part of this, reason they waited so long is because wanted to see how other countries reacted to it first.

From link.

ECWoBPMXkAUIoy0

Noticed that streetcar routes are shown on the single line subway maps. Finally, the higher-ups are accepting that streetcars are a higher form of public transit, above buses.

Next, single-line maps on the streetcars themselves and better headways on the streetcar routes. Will streetcars get priority over single-occupant automobiles making left turns, just wishful thinking.

From link.

ECWoBPMXkAUIoy0

Noticed that streetcar routes are shown on the single line subway maps. Finally, the higher-ups are accepting that streetcars are a higher form of public transit, above buses.

Next, single-line maps on the streetcars themselves and better headways on the streetcar routes. Will streetcars get priority over single-occupant automobiles making left turns, just wishful thinking.
System Maps should have been in place before the strip map re-installation. The next step should be audio announcements for Streetcar and GO routes, potentially with "go to gotransit.com for details" if not all day service.

Maybe the all-day express bus routes?

That could definitely be helpful.

I realize some people don't have smartphones, but generally speaking it's quite easy to plan out a trip before you leave or even on the go these days. I see wayfinding and signage becoming even simpler, which is a good thing.

Maybe the all-day express bus routes?

I think those should be included, yes. IMO, the connections should highlight all higher order transit, regardless of if it's rail or bus. It may also increase awareness that those express bus services actually exist.

I see wayfinding and signage becoming even simpler, which is a good thing.
Sometimes though things can be too simple and not have enough information. For example with the new line 2 maps it would help if they at least put a line showing what the end destination of the interchanging lines went to

Another posable problem with the new Line 2 maps there isn't anything to tell someone what the line numbers in circles mean or the red rectangles with numbers in them mean. If you don't know anything about the TTC then you could look at it an be very confused about it.

Back