News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 994     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

TTC capital budget amendments (BD to East Mall study??)

A

ahrvojic

Steve Munro: TTC Capital Budget

Some noteworthy amendments:

- Funding for various studies and Environmental Assessments in support of the Mayor’s transit plans. This will allow some preliminary work to be done on the proposed network of LRT/Busway schemes.

- A North Etobicoke rapid transit assessment for which Commissioner Hall (whose ward includes the study area) has indicated a preference for LRT.

- A Finch hydro corridor study from Yonge to Dufferin (where it would meet up with the York U busway).

- A study of extending the Bloor-Danforth subway to the East Mall.

- Funding for the first stage of developing improved customer information systems.
Wasn’t the BD extension to the East Mall already studied?

Steve: Yes, but this request is for an update and an estimated impact on the budget. The trigger is that there is a possible land swap involved with a pending development. Assuming that this extension would actually stay on the surface, we might see a subway line built for under $200M/km. While they’re at it, resignalling in the vicinity of Kipling would be nice to get rid of the needlessly glacial operation.

I hope they fix the street pattern around East Mall and Dundas as part of this. A fix of the street pattern at East Mall and at Kipling and Dundas will be almost unrecognizable.

Well, if they can provide this extension at minimal cost, why not? The spot would make a good TOD.

AoD

Absolutely, I'd just forgotten about the proposal and was surprised to see it in the list of amendments today.

Even just one stop west would make a difference and all the better if there's an opportunity to do it at minimal cost!

Even just one stop west would make a difference and all the better if there's an opportunity to do it at minimal cost!

Well if it follows the GO tracks above ground I don't see how this could cost alot. Back in the day the Islington-Kipling extension just cost under $40 million to build.

It'd be greater if it actually eneded at a major destination like Sherway Gdns or Cloverdale though! Stops at Shorncliffe/Dundas, East Mall/North Queen and West Mall/Queensway eliminates 123 bus, reroutes 191/2 & 46, bisects major intersections, serves the new big box store/ offices block on North Queen and allows the MT terminal to be relocated to Sherway serving southern Peel routes.

The line would not stop at Shorncliffe though - East Mall would be the only stop, so the 123 would stay. I'd like to see this study proceed quickly enough to keep Mississauga in just a temporary terminal at Kipling (in the Westwood's parking lot) so that a new Mississauga Terminal could be built at the East Mall, right off the 427, with the possibility of some new bus-only ramps. I think that spot would be much less problematic than a MT terminal at Sherway, and would also provide for great access for Airport Rocket buses to the BD line.

Ultimately, I would like to see the subway make it to Sherway too.

Oh, and getting Mississauga buses off of Etobicoke Roads east of the 427? Priceless.

I can't see the 46 moving either, so it, like the 123, would likely stay at Kipling. Routes 111, 112, 191, and 192 would end up here if done right. Kipling would still be a busy terminal with 30, 44, 45, 46, 49. I would not have parking at the new station if only to encourage the TOD.

This extension would neither preclude an extension to Sherway or into Mississauga.

But yes, this would be a boost to MT riders, with a shorter trip to the subway, and Burnhamthorpe and Bloor Street residents. Bus ramps, particularly from the southbound 427, would be great - the Dundas off ramp is terrible for congestion and with more MT buses would be even worse.

Unfortunately the TTC doesn't seem to believe in building any subway route on the surface anymore, no matter how obvious it seems. Even through undeveloped, government-owned hydro corridor land up to VCC, the TTC insists on tunnelling - not even cut and cover. Just west of Kipling, the old TTC plans have the route going into a tunnel along the railway corridor. Unfortunately, they seem to have made no effort to preserve a surface route, and one of the condos right to the west of the end of the tail track would make any fit through there very tight.

Relocating MT to East Mall makes no sense because there would be no connection to GO trains and buses. A terminal at Sherway would be the worst since it is so far out of the way of all MT routes that currently connect to the subway now.

The next MT subway/bus terminal after Kipling should be at Dixie. Even then many MT routes would still serve Kipling, like 3, 26, 11, 89, etc.

The only problem with East Mall is that it really isn't a destination. How do you market a subway extension to East Mall? Sherway Gardens makes much more sense. They should cajole some money out of Cadillac Fairview to build a subway extension right into the mall. Although, to be sure transit users aren't the demographic that Sherway is going for.

The line would not stop at Shorncliffe though

I suggested Shorncliffe because it was the last cross-street capable of interfacing with both Dundas and the GO tracks effectively. East Mall at the rail corridor is really a middle of nowhere area, that'd be a long walk out to hit Dundas Cloverdale, etc. There's enough vacant land for a bus terminal too rerouting 46 Martin Grove buses via Shaver south of Princess Margaret, 111. Even Honeydale would be better accessed at Shorncliffe, spurring a mass-developed Six-Points.

Oh, and getting Mississauga buses off of Etobicoke Roads east of the 427? Priceless.

Yes definitely, long overdue. With Sherway acting as a southern terminus (Eglinton or Pearson as the northern one) Toronto streets are free of MT buses and Peel gets on the subway 15-20 mins faster.

A terminal at Sherway would be the worst since it is so far out of the way of all MT routes that currently connect to the subway now.

Not necessarily. Private ROW along Hwy 427/West Mall could lead down to Sherway. Elimination of gridlock makes the reroute worthwhile.

They should cajole some money out of Cadillac Fairview to build a subway extension right into the mall. Although, to be sure transit users aren't the demographic that Sherway is going for.

And what demo might that be ;) !?!
I always envisioned a mass terminal hub at Sherway. It'd be accessible from Evans to Queensway with two exits into the mall and one crossing the border for Trillium Hospital and a relocated MT. It'd connect several modes of transit including some form of rapid transit on Brown's Line (123 would be no more)/ Hwy 427/27. It worked for the Sheppard Line, I'm sure a deal could made with Cadillac here as well.

YYYYYYYears ago the owners of Sherway (prior to Cadillac Fairview - hmm Great West Life maybe?) were prepared to pony up some cash for the subway extension ($20 Million or something), and were planning an extension of their own to the mall. A new hallway lined with stores would extend out to the northwest towards the corner of Queensway and The West Mall where the station would be so that the whole walk was climate controlled.

If the subway went to Sherway, CadFair wouldn't sneeze at it: the convenience would bring thousands of new customers to them. Sherway may have a more upscale image, but there are lots of stores aimed at the young too. It did have Canada's first Abercrombie and Fitch and Hollister stores, and is one of the few places in this country with an Apple store. Build the subway out there, and I can guarantee that H&M will open in the expansion area too...

Just like Yorkdale, which has many of the same characteristics (upscaleish, store mix), but bigger.

Back