News   Jul 04, 2024
 267     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 441     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 530     1 

TTC: Automatic Train Control and Subway Platform Screen Doors

"Cost benefit"

The commission meeting heard some fairly emotional pleas for platform screens on Wednesday. I understand TTC staff would now be required to prepare a business case, and look at the experience of other cities in retrofitting existing lines.

It appears Paris is converting its oldest and busiest line, #1. Are the Canada and other Skytrain lines already equipped?

I wonder how long a station must be closed to install the screens. Can you do Bloor station overnight...? (BTW, as stated earlier Union to Eglinton would likely be first, then the rest of YUS followed by BD. Maybe 10 years for the whole system?)

Of course, the $700-odd million is not budgeted and would likely have to push other capital projects down the list. Oh, and somebody just happened to put off $4B in transit funding today...

$10 million per station. Is it relevant to estimate the cost of putting trained people in stations to spot the warning signs of at-risk individuals, perhaps saving some lives?

Last edited:
Is this really necessary? Really, we have stations falling apart, vechicles falling apart, cancelled or should I say, shelved transit lines and yet someone thinks it makes sense to spend what amounts to hundreds of millions of dollars to prevent a few deaths. Priorities are completely out of wack here.

Well, the announcement couldn't have come with worse timing. The TTC announced this in the morning, expecting the province to pick up the tab and just an hour or so later, the provincial government announces that they're curbing transit investment. D'oh!

Yup. Our system is falling apart.

It's unable to service the city properly and it's obvious that we'll be going around in this same circle of announced transit projects and someone will find some excuse to shelve them due to "costs" for decades to come.

Toronto is really starting to look like a joke with how it's managed and the boot licking we go through with the other governments.

It appears Paris is converting its oldest and busiest line, #1. Are the Canada and other Skytrain lines already equipped?

No, they run automated trains without platform doors, like many other systems (and how the SRT was designed). The only Canadian example is the Link Train at Pearson I believe. There might be one or two installations in the USA at airports once again.

Are the Canada and other Skytrain lines already equipped?
AFAIK, no system in the Americas (except various airport shuttles, Las Vegas and apparently one station in Sao Paulo) have PSDs.

I wonder how long a station must be closed to install the screens.
Never. There will be continuous construction at each station for some time, but no station need ever be closed completely. When HK's MTR retrofitted all 30 of its underground stations with full-heights (and now its 8 open-air stations with half-heights), not a single station was closed for a minute during normal operation hours. But of course, this being Toronto/Canada, anything can be (im)possible.

With asbestos removal being needed apparently, I would hope stations would close during construction. May even have to not run through trains for a period.

With asbestos removal being needed apparently, I would hope stations would close during construction. May even have to not run through trains for a period.
Given that TTC has been doing asbestos removal for a while already without shutting down stations/sections, it would seem unnecessary. The one advantage would be to allow for longer work hours and potentially speeding up the work progress by shutting down for, say, a weekend.

picard102:

Averaging out the minutes on a per day basis doesn't make much sense considering that's not how the impact of the delay works. Using the numbers from the report I have posted - each suicide averages around 75 minutes of delay each; plus 10 minutes for each intrusion of track level.

AoD

The nanny-statism never ends.

I doubt that is the true goal of the barriers. It's just how they've chosen to sell it. Would you expect them to come out and say years of poor planning and subway expansions to nowhere have made the small efficiency and capacity gains from ATC and barriers almost necessary?

political 'suicide' for anyone to oppose this (pun intended), but it's really too bad that we're spending half a billion dollars on a project that isn't comprehensive - can't someone just go on the bloor line?

People that want to commit suicide will simply find another way. Half a billion dollars doesn't solve any problems. Trains can simply slow down prior to entering the station. More interesting is where the money is going to come from.

political 'suicide' for anyone to oppose this (pun intended), but it's really too bad that we're spending half a billion dollars on a project that isn't comprehensive - can't someone just go on the bloor line?

ATC for the Bloor line will be done sometime over the next 15 or so years too.

Back