News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

TTC: Automatic Train Control and Subway Platform Screen Doors

Fixed-block signalling was never installed in the TYSSE.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Not according to Steve Munro:

On March 30, 2012, the TTC approved a contract to design and install a replacement fixed block control system, including new computer-based interlockings, for the remainder of the YUS including the TYSSE. The contract was awarded to Ansaldo STS Canada Inc. (formerly Union Switch & Signal) for $30.3m to resignal the remaining portions of YUS (Finch to Lawrence, St. Patrick to Downsview) and for $26.7m to install a fixed block system on the TYSSE.

On February 25, 2013, the TTC approved a change order to Alstom to extend the scope of the ATC project over the TYSSE at a cost of $18.4m. There was, however, a small problem with funding:

It is recognized that the TYSSE project does not have sufficient funds within the project budget to pay for the implementation of ATC on the TYSSE. Funding is being sought for this purpose from the funding partners, specifically the Province of Ontario, the City of Toronto and the Regional Municipality of York.

The contract change will not be exercised until such time as the funding has been confirmed. [p. 1]

Although I might be misreading since the signalling contracts were complicated; maybe fixed block signalling was originally purchased but never installed.

Whether or not it technically got to the installation stage, it still doesn't reflect well on forward planning of the TYSSE project.

Last edited:
I emailed the crosstown team... they said there wouldn't be platform screen doors at any of the stations.

The lack of forward thinking in design projects like this is mind-boggling. Kind of like how the TYSSE was originally done with only fixed-block signalling and needed to get ATC added on later.
It was going to have ATC, to begin with, but the TTC fired the origaonal contrater after they didn't like how theyt were handling it. Alos the TYSSE platforms were designed to have platform edge doors but they didn't end up installing them because of the change of contrator for the ATC sytem.

It was going to have ATC, to begin with, but the TTC fired the origaonal contrater after they didn't like how theyt were handling it. Alos the TYSSE platforms were designed to have platform edge doors but they didn't end up installing them because of the change of contrator for the ATC sytem.

It was a smart move. ATC has tripped up some systems (BART) for ages. Their first attempt was in '95 (then 2002, then 2008 IIRC) and they've recently tendered out for a new signalling system yet again.

At the time Spadina started construction, there was really no telling whether ATC would be ready for it in 2018 or 2028.

Last edited:
Not according to Steve Munro:

Although I might be misreading since the signalling contracts were complicated; maybe fixed block signalling was originally purchased but never installed.

Whether or not it technically got to the installation stage, it still doesn't reflect well on forward planning of the TYSSE project.

You are misreading - the contract was signed but later cancelled when they realized how much of a mess the project was turning into. They never actually got to the point of installing any hardware beyond the section from Bloor to Union.

The system installed on the TYSSE is the same Alstom system that is being installed everywhere else on the YUS as a replacement for existing fixed-block systems.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

New TTC RFP for a platform edge door study:

PLATFORM EDGE DOOR STUDY

The TTC requires the services of a consultant to provide professional services to the TTC in the form of a Feasibility Study and Business Case Report that will, investigate the retrofitting of all existing stations with a Platform Edge Doors (PED) system and adding PEDs to future extensions lines as well as providing the TTC with the necessary tool for projecting consequences of the initiative of implementing the installation of PEDs throughout its subway system.

Interesting timing, since Montreal just announced the same thing. The supposed motivation for the study is because the blue line extension will exacerbate overcrowding in the most crowded section of the orange line... just like how the Scarborough subway extension will do the same to the Yonge line:

STM to launch study into protective barriers on Metro platforms

stm.jpg

Even though it would be the easiest to add, Line 4 Sheppard East will likely be the last line done.

...unless the Relief Line extension north of Eglinton merges with Line 4, in some distance decade or 22nd century.

I am surprised no one posted this one about the ATC - from the Star:

Crucial TTC subway project under review amid executive departures

AoD
Good recall! When I first read that, it documented a bombshell, and yet I can't recall seeing any more follow-on stories for that....which makes you wonder on other things...but on the upside of that, Keesmaat must have some zingers yet to reveal, and since Byford is singing a different tune while banging his head on Manhattan rock, he may not be spitting out secrets, but he's not covering up any more.

There's a lot more juice to squeeze out of the tunnels yet.

I am surprised no one posted this one about the ATC - from the Star:

Crucial TTC subway project under review amid executive departures

AoD

It's such a crucial project. Senior management did not get weekly updates on the progress? And yet the study will take until the end of 2018?

At some points more heads need to roll. I have seen organizations where there was no accountability and a new CEO basically fired a senior level manager once a week for incompetence until people realized they had to actually work.

It's such a crucial project. Senior management did not get weekly updates on the progress? And yet the study will take until the end of 2018?

At some points more heads need to roll. I have seen organizations where there was no accountability and a new CEO basically fired a senior level manager once a week for incompetence until people realized they had to actually work.
Part.....a *good part* of the blame lies with incompetent top management, let alone a Council and Board who haven't a clue. Even without evidence to state it, I hold Byford as the ultimately responsible one. If it wasn't him, then best he start singing, and "Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner" won't cut the mint sauce. (In all fairness to London, Byford is from the 'West Country' but I digress...)

Back