News   Apr 18, 2024
 240     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.9K     4 

TTC: Automatic Train Control and Subway Platform Screen Doors

Does low floor LRT really need platform screen doors? Given the expected ridership of the crosstown or current ridership of the TYSSE, it doesn't justifies PSDs. The TYSSE was never budgeted for PSDs as they originally plan to install the old signal system on it.

There is also a big chance a mechanical problem occur with the PSDs themselves cause the TTC gives me no insurance that it'll be always functional. They would have various excuses from motor problems, communication problem, etc. Somehow nothing is ever working at world class cities standards in the GTA.

Since they only have a small pot, it would be the best to install them in locations that is the most necessary.
Low floor needs them almost more. If it's a short step to from platform to track, rider incursions are much more likely. This could be kids playing around, people picking up dropped items, or people standing much closer to platform edge because fear of falling not as great.

From the Financial Report for Major Project, to the upcoming TTC meeting on Sept. 24th, an update on this project.

Project Update & Accomplishments:•ATC is currently in operation on 50% on Line 1 from Vaughan Metropolitan Centre (VMC) to St. Patrick Station.
Four workcars have been commissioned to date with Automatic Train Protection (ATP).
•Completed Phase 3B (St. Patrick – Queen Station) design and installation of ATC assets.•Phase 3B low speed software is in development and under simulation.
•Phase 3B testing is at 50% and dynamic low speed train testing is scheduled to begin in August. Phase 3B remains on schedule to be in revenue service by Q1 2020
.•Installation of ATC assets in Phase 3C (Queen – Rosedale Station) is at 90%

Note that the CEO report actually puts complete in the high 90's up to Rosedale in terms of installation, but they have not moved up the target date for operation from Q4 2020 as yet.

From the latter report, installation is at 12% in the Rosedale to Eglinton section.

Financial Report link below:

Low floor needs them almost more. If it's a short step to from platform to track, rider incursions are much more likely. This could be kids playing around, people picking up dropped items, or people standing much closer to platform edge because fear of falling not as great.

TBH, getting off the tracks is also easier on low platforms, the power supply is more safely located, and I swear the LRTs don't seem to enter the stations as fast.

Does low floor LRT really need platform screen doors? Given the expected ridership of the crosstown or current ridership of the TYSSE, it doesn't justifies PSDs. The TYSSE was never budgeted for PSDs as they originally plan to install the old signal system on it.

There is also a big chance a mechanical problem occur with the PSDs themselves cause the TTC gives me no insurance that it'll be always functional. They would have various excuses from motor problems, communication problem, etc. Somehow nothing is ever working at world class cities standards in the GTA.

Since they only have a small pot, it would be the best to install them in locations that is the most necessary.
They also increase capacity. Screen platform doors cut off a crowded platform more quickly, and lets a train accelerate into/away from a crowded platform more quickly. It's almost mandatory for 90 second headways on crush-loaded platforms, since you have to cut off boarders mid-boarding, to force them to wait for the train.

On some lines elsewhere in the world, newer platform-side doors set of a very flashy alarm that embarasses you if you try to force them ("as if you're jeopardizing the safety of the whole line"), so they pretty much encourage compliance and good behavior by not keeping the doors open.

That's cheap.
Maybe American dollars? Or the 1867 Canadian dollar?
I struggle to buy lunch for $10, yet alone platform doors for an entire subway station ;)

Come on guys, not everything needs to be expensive. They clearly spoke to Sharon:

pitch_platform_technology_lead.jpg

Source: CBC

I struggle to buy lunch for $10, yet alone platform doors for an entire subway station ;)
...but they've budgeted it to be $10-15 per station.
I think they meant $10-$15M

It's like those real estate advertising saying condos available for $300s and also Urban Towns starting $500s

A newspaper article I read sometime ago, mentioned an new immigrant family trying to hand $300 (yes, 300 dollars) to a real estate agent for a house.
...A bit embarassing for the realtor to explain the missing zeros.

...In half-jest, If they actually meant $10-$15 for doors without the M, then somebody needs to be sent...
...to gently break condolences to crushing dissapointment.

</Marvin the depressed robot>

Last edited:

It's like those real estate advertising saying condos available for $300s and also Urban Towns starting $500s

A newspaper article I read sometime ago, mentioned an new immigrant family trying to hand $300 (yes, 300 dollars) to a real estate agent for a house.

...In half-jest, If they actually meant $10-$15 for doors without the M, then somebody needs to be sent...
...to gently break condolences to crushing dissapointment.View attachment 207495

Reminds me of this...

...to gently break condolences to crushing dissapointment.View attachment 207495

Indeed, one of my recent immigrant acquaintances thought that "$300 car insurance" meant 300 per year. Imagine his surprise when I broke the news to him. He swore off buying a car because of that which I think should make @W. K. Lis happy.

Don't forget that many construction and management simulation video games (such as The Sims, Cities: Skylines, and Planet Coaster) have unbelievably low prices for structural elements (and infrastructure), though to be fair, many of these games use a fictional currency, despite using real currency symbols.

Back