News   Jul 15, 2024
 465     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 570     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2.1K     1 

TTC: Automated stop and station announcements

The 35A? That doesn't even exist. I think someone ought to go to Transit Control and shut down HAL.

Oh no, my colleague was left driftless by HAL in Morningside Heights.

---

Anyway, if Stephen Hawking is coming to Waterloo, could we use him too?

ACcording to the TTC website, the 35A does so exist. Remember, the TTC is foolproof and incapable of error...well, ATU 113, anyway...

So I rode the old 94 twice today. Both times I boarded at Castle Frank and I got on the same brand new hybrid bus both times. How did I remember it was the same bus? Well for one my favourite seat was wet...and I soaked my pants both times. More importantly, I noticed that the LED next stop display was the same. Aren't they all the same, you're probably saying... well that's what I thought. The display was only the half size model, like is used on streetcars and the old GMs. WTF? Did they run out of big ones? Who messed up the order timing?

Interestingly, from Castle Frank to Bay St, a lot of the stop names could fit on the small sign without scrolling... Ontario, Jarvis, Church, Wellesley STN, Yonge, Bay all fit.
Maybe they figure they only need small displays? Or maybe it's cost savings?
The display went into "donut shop mode" when we got to Wellesley STN. I love it when it does that.

Back