News   Jul 30, 2024
 672     0 

Trinity College on Queen St.

Jarrek

Member Bio
Reaction score
Shame it was demolished in the 50's ... :(

trinold.jpg

wow! That's an amazing building. I assume that it was located within Trinity Belwoods Park?

What was it torn down for? The Trinity-Belwoods Centre?

If it were still around today, some developer would be putting up a fifty storey tower right smack next to it.

Actually this might sound odd but I would argue that in this instance demolition of the building has left an important legacy in green space that in the long-run may trump the importance of preservation of the building. It certainly would be a shame if such a structure were demolished to put up another structure in its place.

You all DO realise that a near exact copy of this building was built at Harbord and University, just as this one was being demolished? It even has the same name.

I recently graduated from Trinity College at UofT and lived in residence there for two years. I can assure you, while the building has many of the same design features as the original, it is not even close to being a near exact copy.

The current building was completed in 1925 (vs. 1852), it is much smaller, and Body and Cosgrave houses, which enclose the quadrangle, date from the early 1960s. Though the College is beautiful, there are a number of modern "innovations", like radiator heating and faux fireplaces.

Following the move to Harbord, Trinity Bellwoods was sold to the City of Toronto and used briefly by a charity (the Salvation Army?). The buildings were largely demolished in the 50s because they were in horrible state of disrepair.

The campus was large, so I have to disagree with TR - it's a shame TC is gone.

Back