News   Apr 24, 2024
 517     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 718     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 519     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Looks clean and simple, BUT, where is the Sheppard East line?
Could you add in GO's lines in the area as well?
Have you thought about adding in a North Arrow and scale bar? Or at least put in "N.T.S." (Not to Scale)
Did you use Illustrator to create this?

I was contemplating about putting the Sheppard LRT thinking it make look too congested, But I think I'll only put a part of the line.
The GO lines are a "no" for me since they would crowd the map. I could however signify which stations are connected to GO stations by putting the GO logo beside the names.
I will put both map indicators; I knew I was forgetting something!
I used PhotoShop to make this, althought I'd like to use Illustrator one day :D

ScarboroughV25.png

I tried to implement the Sheppard LRT, but it looked too crowed and not aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
I added the GO logo as a means of indicating nearby GO train connections.
I also changed the font in favour of something more clearer and not so heavy.
The cardinal direction was added because technically all maps should have them.

Other than the issue with the Sheppard LRT, any other suggestions?

Last edited:
ScarboroughV25.png

I tried to implement the Sheppard LRT, but it looked too crowed and not aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
I added the GO logo as a means of indicating nearby GO train connections.
I also changed the font in favour of something more clearer and not so heavy.
The cardinal direction was added because technically all maps should have them.

Other than the issue with the Sheppard LRT, any other suggestions?

No, I think it looks fine. I also think that your use of route line weights indicating the difference between subway/lrt line is very appropriate, don't know if you knew about that, but thought I'd point it out. :)

Just one additional suggestion that may or may not work. If you wanted to add in Sheppard East, but couldn't find a way to, would zooming out help? In turn you would get more context and you may even be able to add in municipal boundaries, unless you consider that too much as well.

I don't like how that station label overlaps with the Lake Ontario shoreline. The Lake looks kind of weird too because the rest of the map is not to scale. The label for the lake probably should be different from the other labels too, maybe italicized and/or serifed font. Also I think the label for the Guildwood neighbourhood should not be aligned with the LRT along Kingston. It makes it look like the label is for the LRT.

Sheppard LRT doesn't need to be shown if the focus is Kennedy station, but the entire Scarborough RT and Morningside LRT should be shown, no?

I like how aligned all the station properly, e.g. all stations on Markham Rd aligned, both stations on Brimley aligned, etc. It is simple thing, but a lot maps don't do this properly (*cough* GO *cough*). Perhaps there are way too many stations though? (Or are these the actual proposed station spacing?) You might also consider actual station names instead just indicating the location of the stations.

Side note: I must admit I softened my stance on the Malvern LRT of late, considering how great a Kingston/Highway 2 LRT into Durham Region would be (which I have on my fantasy map).

Nice map, I think it could be a great in-vehicle map for those routes (in addition to some normal subway or full system maps). How do you feel about including an arrow for the Eglinton LRT leaving from Kennedy?

No, I think it looks fine. I also think that your use of route line weights indicating the difference between subway/lrt line is very appropriate, don't know if you knew about that, but thought I'd point it out. :)

Just one additional suggestion that may or may not work. If you wanted to add in Sheppard East, but couldn't find a way to, would zooming out help? In turn you would get more context and you may even be able to add in municipal boundaries, unless you consider that too much as well.

I think I may have an alternative idea, versus adding in the entire line. I'll try it out and post it back later.

I don't like how that station label overlaps with the Lake Ontario shoreline. The Lake looks kind of weird too because the rest of the map is not to scale. The label for the lake probably should be different from the other labels too, maybe italicized and/or serifed font. Also I think the label for the Guildwood neighbourhood should not be aligned with the LRT along Kingston. It makes it look like the label is for the LRT.

Sheppard LRT doesn't need to be shown if the focus is Kennedy station, but the entire Scarborough RT and Morningside LRT should be shown, no?

I like how aligned all the station properly, e.g. all stations on Markham Rd aligned, both stations on Brimley aligned, etc. It is simple thing, but a lot maps don't do this properly (*cough* GO *cough*). Perhaps there are way too many stations though? (Or are these the actual proposed station spacing?) You might also consider actual station names instead just indicating the location of the stations.

Side note: I must admit I softened my stance on the Malvern LRT of late, considering how great a Kingston/Highway 2 LRT into Durham Region would be (which I have on my fantasy map).

The map is somewhat to scale actually, I took some screen shots of Google Maps and overlayed the track map over the roads, and the lake border is to scale.

The whole station name overlapping the lake as a problem for me too. I kinda wished they chose shorter names for these roads, hahaha.

I might scrap the entire neighbourhood idea, because people who are not locals of Scarborough may not even know what these places are or what relevance it has.

Well, in terms of station names these are pulled directly from the Transit City proposal for where each LRT station is gonna go. Each station is spaced apart about 500m from each other. With Transit City I think they're actually gonna be adding the Rd/St/Ave to each location.

Nice map, I think it could be a great in-vehicle map for those routes (in addition to some normal subway or full system maps). How do you feel about including an arrow for the Eglinton LRT leaving from Kennedy?

I actually meant this to be an in-vehicle map. Like the Scarborough RT I know only has its route map. In Europe, some of the subways I know have their own dedicated route map depending on what line you're on. I might experiment with the Eglinton LRT mini route since it DOES connect with Kennedy. I completely forgot about that!

ScarboroughV4.png

After much deliberation and critiques read; I think I've come up with a map that meets everyone's general suggestions of how my map should look like.

Any further suggestions or critiques?

• In this edit I added the partial routes of the Eglinton LRT and the Sheppard East LRT.
  • Sheppard East LRT is missing a station name because it hasn't been decided what name it should be called.
  • I know on Wikipedia and the Transit City files some of these stops have hyphenated names, but for simplicity's sake I chose the more familiar roads of each two (or which were more significant).
  • I scrapped the individual neighbourhood names in favour of a more stylized Scarborough logo to fill the void left in the middle. I used the neighbourhoods which each LRT line in the map crossed.
  • I changed the shape of the Bloor-Danforth line to an angular line to save space for the Eglinton LRT name.

Last edited:
Much better. :D

Anyways, here's my proposal for what TTC should be like.
I'm dissapointed that the reality would never go as close as this (at least, not for a millenium).

TTCFantasy.jpg

https://doc-08-78-docs.googleusercontent.com/docs/secure/rb76hs62dof3nkvdingba5cedl9ltjag/hn0il9klu5gcvsuvkv6nam462lvrji33/1272672000000/01667564288060424383/*/0B5Ni4frCefkOZGFmMWYyMmItZWQzMi00MTg2LTkyNjgtZWUwOTFlNzM5Y2Jk

Too bad that much of the quality is lost when uploaded.

In this map:

- A fully realized form of YUS line, with fantasy Spadina extension to Rutherford (Vaughan Mills Mall)
- B/D from Sherway Garden to Malvern (B/D merged with SRT)
- Sheppard Line is presented as originally proposed by TTC, plus ideal extension westward to Royal York Station.
- Eglinton West Line presented as close to being original plan proposed by TTC, with ideal extension eastward to Pickering Town Centre;
- Finch Line should be entirely subway, stretching from Pearson to Morningside (where Eglinton and Lawrence might meet)
- Lawrence from Airport to Morningside (a subway line that actually links close to linear from Midtown Toronto to Scarborough via detour at Thorncliffe.
- DRL + Jane + Don Mills: DRL follows through mostly GO trunk lines around downtown then diverts away from either directions.
- Modified proposal of Queen Subway, with westbound extension in two branches toward Etobicoke, and eastward (actually northbound) through Victoria Park to Unionville.
- Etobicoke West (Kipling) Line to serve west portion of Etobicoke from proposed Highway 50 terminal to Sherway Gardens.
- Neighbouring regions outside Toronto would consist of BRTs and Mississauga LRT route network (not shown entirely).

This proposal maximizes the coverage of entire Toronto, farther than what Transit City can serve in the long term. It intensifies most (if not all) neighbourhoods of Toronto and actually reverses sprawl within GTA. There should be no substitute to this.

Last edited:
Thats incredible! Ahhh, wouldn't it be great if we had anything even close to this. I also like how you showed the connections to neighbouring transit services. Just a few concerns though, I believe that some of the stations near the airport might not get enough passenegers to make them economically feasable. And I also am conerned about the tunnel between Steeles-Clairville and Gore Terminal. I realize that it is parkland but it would be very expansive to tunnel that far without any stations. Finally, I would suggest that while you created a station at Pearson Terminal 1, you might as well extend one more station to Terminal 3 while you're at it.

Overall, this is an incredible piece of work you have made! Thanks.

Last edited:
I do believe the TTC began that trend, when naming the station 'Bessarion' which has a cul de sac and about 30 houses, instead of the more major arterial Burbank.

Thats incredible! Ahhh, wouldn't it be great if we had anything even close to this. I also like how you showed the connections to neighbouring transit services. Just a few concerns though, I believe that some of the stations near the airport might not get enough passenegers to make them economically feasable. And I also am conerned about the tunnel between Steeles-Clairville and Gore Terminal. I realize that it is parkland but it would be very expansive to tunnel that far without any stations. Finally, I would suggest that while you created a station at Pearson Terminal 1, you might as well extend one more station to Terminal 3 while you're at it.

Overall, this is an incredible piece of work you have made! Thanks.

In response to savevp,

-Yes, I found out that "Finch Line" route to YYZ is through Carlingview rather than the obvious Hwy 27. And the intersecting line is mistakingly drawn at Carlingview rather than Atwell-Skyway, which is right near Hwy 27.
-As for Steeles-Clairville to Gore, you would be right that there are possible need for a stop (since there are possible development along Hwy 50.) So that is covered now.
-Ditto for Eglinton/Lawrence/Finch to T3.

Thx for the corrections

the_yellow_dart,

Bessarion isn't just the station at where there are approximately 30 houses along the road. Edithvale, Thicketwood and Terraview comes in mind as well, though I added them due to significant presence of high-rises and community facilities.

I also revised the map, fixing fonts (for small station to 12 pt, major node stations @ 20pt), aligning names to subway lines (appropriately and organized where possible). In possible way to link York Region entirely with no stubways, a proposed extension along Carrville Rd (connecting the stubs of Rutherford and RHC) and a loop around Scarborough and Markham is added. Now the region looks more complete (though this can only happen if YRT & TTC consolidates fare operations entirely)

One last omission I intentially left out was Steeles line (both on legend and adding possible stops), since it would not be entirely operated only by TTC/YRT, but BT and DRT as well.

here are the links:

TTCFantasy2.jpg

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B5Ni4frCefkOZjE5OTBhMTQtMGIyZS00ZjkxLWEyZGYtODEzMjQzNjNiZDRm&hl=en

Last edited:
Does the Airport-Lawrence line go down to Thorncliffe and then back up to Lawrence along Don Mills (following the same path as the red line)? What is the route you see it following from Bayview down to Thorncliffe and then back up again?

Thanks,
Greg

Yes, Airport-Lawrence goes down to thorncliffe and back up to Lawrence along DM (following the red line). It seems hardly visible as red is layered above the tan line.
The route? southbound to Thorncliffe along Bayview Ave, then veers toward an existing railway at Bennington Heights. The veered line would meet DRL/J+DM at Throncliffe and follow along through Don Mills before it goes eastbound at Don Mills Centre (Lawrence E & Don Mills)

Last edited:

Back