News   May 02, 2024
 774     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 228     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 305     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

The only question I may ask for that map is why it all turns into BRT almost as soon as it hits the edges of the city...
I'm not sure if toronto needs ALL THAT, but it's looking good. However, if that were to all happen (Subway out to Malvern and across Lawrence,) what about a Highway 7, Dundas, or Hurontario subway?

Seeing how large York and Durham is sparsely populated (as opposed to Toronto), this is proposed not to just maximize the coverage of the entire city but to minimize sprawl outside Toronto. Subways in Markham, RH and Vaughan are proposed because they are the most densely populated in York Region. As for reasons for BRT instead of subway/RT in burbs, I intentionally left them out in mind to limited sprawl/mass intensification outside Toronto (I'd actually add Hurontario/Dundas/Eglinton/Lakeshore/Dixie/Hwy 7 subways as well, as do Islington/Bathurst/Jane/McCowan/Markham Rd/Pickering LRT later in revised version, though that would mean resolution to 48"x36" in size).

This is 36x24 in size, probably the highest size for high dpi (300).

The only question I may ask for that map is why it all turns into BRT almost as soon as it hits the edges of the city...
I'm not sure if toronto needs ALL THAT, but it's looking good. However, if that were to all happen (Subway out to Malvern and across Lawrence,) what about a Highway 7, Dundas, or Hurontario subway?

C'mon SIP, even a Fantasy Map has its limits! lol.

Wouldn't it make more sense to tunnel a Lawrence line straight under the Bridle Path mansions? To my mind, that would do a lot to reconnect the city and to let people do a currently impossible trip.

lol. Is that a subway on Rutherford? A street that doesn't even run full size buses? Until last year, it was mainly farmland, now it's entirely low density sprawl.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rutherford/Carrville ever intensifies, at least for another half a century.

leopetr,

It should, but I would see NIMBYs oppose a tunneling under Bridle Path McMansions. T.O. would have no guts to stand behind this construction plan. And where will a subway stop be placed around that area? A detour to Thorncliffe is more ideal due to more density within that precinct. Not to mention the green space that makes the routing through Bridle Path less than ideal.

Considering how bad the transit service and transit ridership and the sprawl in Mississauga is relative to the rest of the 905, as has been noted elsewhere at UT, it would make sense if Brampton had more subway stations than Mississauga (4 stations). On that map, Durham has equal number (4 stations, need one more), York Region has more (18 stations, which is enough), and it would make sense for Brampton to have more as well (add at least 3 more). Alternatively, some of the stations in Mississauga can be removed, such as Renforth and Carlingview, in which case all that would be needed is one additional station in Brampton. All the LRT lines can be removed as Mississauga just doesn't have the density for them and the roads are too much like 400-series highways, especially Highway 10, to support a sufficient ridership for LRT.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it make more sense to tunnel a Lawrence line straight under the Bridle Path mansions? To my mind, that would do a lot to reconnect the city and to let people do a currently impossible trip.
Yes ... I've suggested this before for LRT. Also on St. Clair eastward ...

Though it needn't go under any mansions; there's a ROW in place, and only a small gap near Bayview.

Considering how bad the transit service and transit ridership and the sprawl in Mississauga is relative to the rest of the 905, as has been noted elsewhere at UT, it would make sense if Brampton had more subway stations than Mississauga (4 stations). On that map, Durham has equal number (4 stations, need one more), York Region has more (18 stations, which is enough), and it would make sense for Brampton to have more as well (add at least 3 more). Alternatively, some of the stations in Mississauga can be removed, such as Renforth and Carlingview, in which case all that would be needed is one additional station in Brampton. All the LRT lines can be removed as Mississauga just doesn't have the density for them and the roads are too much like 400-series highways, especially Highway 10, to support a sufficient ridership for LRT.

You mean subway to Bramalea CC? That will give a stretch, but ok, voila!

Compared to previous versions, the McCowan branch of Queen-Vic is now severed as part of a separate line: College(Dundas)-McCowan Line. In case there could be overcrowding along YUS line, a relief vertical subway line, Bathurst Line, has opened.

Now this should give T-Dot a leading edge over Chi/NY/LA and even Mex City, and compete with London, Paris, Chinese cities, S'Pore, Tokyo and even Seoul.

Ya, like that'll happen over an millenium.

TTCFantasy3.jpg

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B5Ni4frCefkOZDI4M2RkYmYtMmJiYS00NTk1LTgzZmEtZTZiMGU0YWVhNjNl&hl=en

South of Eglinton, streetcar can remain as it is, or expand westward to Etobicoke. For north of Eglinton, however, streetcar is useless, so a subway is only a viable option to link between York, Toronto, Peel and Durham.

BTW, this is 48x36, thus the quality has dropped to allow large size files uploaded.

Last edited:
OK, this is the last major upload I am doing on an IDEAL TTC subway network.Still pissed off thinking about shitty delay on my last TTC commute weeks ago, I decide to refrain from going on a bitchfest by editing the map (I'm going little too psychopathic here with cartography). In addition to TTC subways, GO commuter rail lines, Sauga Transit/BT/YRT/DRT route networks are laid out together.

GO's typical hub & spoke still stands in Union but its majority of bus O&D networks have shifted to Square One, RHC and Pickering Town Centre. A railway north of Steeles is now a commuter rail (a PPP initiative between Metrolinx, GTA transit agencies [except MT] and major developers) spanning from Shoppers' World to Pickering Town Centre, giving a chance to transform Ontario's Worst road into one of the best in the province. Again mentioned earlier, with 11 subway lines T-Dot stands to compete against European and Asian cities and blows out rest of North American out of the water.

48"x36". Quality as same as last upload. This is my last upload of TTC fantasy map. I'm done with this.

Questions, comments, suggestions?
Thx

Here's the link:

TTCFantasy4.jpg

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B5Ni4frCefkOMzUwN2IyMzAtZDBlNi00Yjg1LTkyYjUtMmViYWY2YzU1Yzkz&hl=en

A railway north of Steeles is now a commuter rail (a PPP initiative between Metrolinx, GTA transit agencies [except MT] and major developers) spanning from Shoppers' World to Pickering Town Centre, giving a chance to transform Ontario's Worst road into one of the best in the province.

I like this idea. I've never thought of having it run from Bramalea down Steeles, instead having it run to Brampton GO or into the airport (providing a link for York and Durham to the airport). My version follows the rail line north of Steeles until it passes York U. Then it runs in the hydro corridor / 407 corridor. This allows connection with Langstaff and Unionville (by cutting north for those stations), plus potentially a transfer station on the Barrie line. I wouldn't have as many stops, though, to make it more of an express cross-town route. Or you could run service with a frequent stopper for local trips and express that only stops at major nodes if you 4 track the line all the way.

Greg

I made a map. Basically I took both the Sheppard Subway and the SRT and converted them both to LRT and ran a sheppard airport eglinton STC loop. Then I added a DRL. The LRT section between yonge and Downsview would be underground and the section going from Weston road to the airport would be grade seperated. Its a comprimise of technology but it should be fast where it needs it. The DRL serves the east side of the city specifically to address the over crowding thats happening on Yonge and goes all the way north to FINCH to make sure it gets as many ppl to move off of yonge as possible.

Attachments

• ttcmap.jpg
    ttcmap.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 318
A second more fantasy map has a DRL that when it reaches sheppard turns east and is tunnelled to Kennedy and then goes south to Kennedy station. At kipling the same line goes south to queen and across till it reconnects at osgoode. THIS is a fantasy line. But you could see how all the lines are essentially GIANT loops. Theoretically this should cut down on transfers.

Attachments

• ttcmap2.jpg
    ttcmap2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 284
The only beef I have with both of your proposal is lack of coverage outside the priority neighbourhoods, where the need is similar, or more. The subway lines drawn are few and the network seems conformingly follow the style of the original Network 2011 Plan or its predecessors.

Sixrings,

The beige loop and green 8-figure lines seem intriguing - Using same subway lines and reaching out to farthest corners of Toronto neighbourhoods seem like ambitious in paper. Have you thought about the communities inside those loops? Don't ya think it could use few LRTs to reach those stations in bi-directions?

the_yellow_dart,

YUS going westward through Finch does address now-revised Finch West LRT. Yet I thought instead of terminating at 27, it should follow the track to Humber College. SRT + Sheppard line fused into B/D is too far a stretch to even be called a fantasy. The DRL is fine, although it should align through existing GO tracks than going underground through Queen. My own opinions.

Back