News   Apr 24, 2024
 945     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 616     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

I made some Tokyo style fare maps for the TTC Subway system. Over in Tokyo they use a distance based system with fares increasing the farther you travel although the system is segmented into zones that encompasses a certain range of distance. These zones being 0-6km, 7-11km, 12-19km, 20-27km, and 28-40km. As you could probably guess over there you tap in at your origin point and then tap out at your destination and your fare is then charged. I made 2 maps showing how the fare would be based off the current Tokyo Metro fare converted from Yen to Cad. As well this is only for the Subway system, I don't know how this would encompass the bus/streetcar network and in Tokyo people who use the Suica or Passmo card pay a reduced fare similar to our Presto; this is not facotred into the map it is only base fares.

Map 1 is if your journey started at Bloor-Yonge. Due to Bloor-Yonge being in roughly the centre of the system the fares spread out radially and only 3 zones are present.
TTCFare1.jpg

Map 2 starts at Lawrence East as this is usually where I enter the system from. You can see since Lawrence East is at the eastern periphery of system the fares spread in a linear fashion from east to west. As well due to the start point being at the eastern end of the system the 4th fare zone presents itself at the western end of the system.
TTCFare2.jpg

Now these maps as stated before use the Tokyo Metro fares converted to Cad (rounded to the nearest nickel) and obviously a real world implementation here would have a different set of fares.

Last edited:
Zoned fares are never going to happen. The amount of political capital needed to push that through would be immense.
Suburbanites would see it as a punishment and another reason to not use the TTC.
Activists would see it as a tax on the poor, who live on the periphery of the city already due to the housing crisis.
And replacing all the turnstiles again this decade isn't a likelihood.

Zoned fares are never going to happen. The amount of political capital needed to push that through would be immense.
Suburbanites would see it as a punishment and another reason to not use the TTC.
Activists would see it as a tax on the poor, who live on the periphery of the city already due to the housing crisis.
And replacing all the turnstiles again this decade isn't a likelihood.
Well, it makes more sense if the zone system maintains similar fares from suburb to downtown. Extra fare if one is riding from Etobicoke to Scarborough while a discount fare should be made available for people taking 1-3 subway stops or less than 10 minutes on the bus outside of peak periods. This would help boost ridership for those people that would walk instead but might increase trip times.

They wouldn't need to replace any turnstiles for a fare zone system. The are designed for tap out which the TTC never implemented (yet). All they really need is a presto update. The GO runs on a distance based fare system and it totally works with Presto. Also GO/YRT riders would suppose to be able to travel in Vaughan down to York U with their GO/YRT fare if they tap out but somehow that never happened.

Are there tap outs on the current gates?
No. I don't see the ttc wanting to pursue it either. It's unnecesary for such a linear subway system... Maybe in 2200 this will be possible?
Pretty inaccurate, doesn't make any sense and quite a waste of time. There are 18 lines including Subway, LRT, BRT, and High Speed Rail. There are more than 500 stations! This is quite literally insanity. I'm done.
fg (2).png

Last edited:
The development potential of Don Mills is somewhat limited particularly where the stations would be, and be somewhat too close to the Yonge Line so north of Science Centre the Ontario Line should veer north east toward Agincourt to cover more ground and better to catch more easterly commuters which could also provide an alternative to using the Danforth line at all to go downtown.

No. I don't see the ttc wanting to pursue it either. It's unnecesary for such a linear subway system... Maybe in 2200 this will be possible?
Pretty inaccurate, doesn't make any sense and quite a waste of time. There are 18 lines including Subway, LRT, BRT, and High Speed Rail. There are more than 500 stations! This is quite literally insanity. I'm done.
View attachment 231568
Good plan. But we'd be remotely lucky to have this by the 25th century.

Hey everyone,

For all the ArcGIS and Google Maps users, does anyone know if the Mississauga Dundas BRT map exists in a Shapefile or KML format anywhere?

I've scoured some Open Data sources and the ArcGIS database but couldnt find it.

Thanks!!!

The development potential of Don Mills is somewhat limited particularly where the stations would be, and be somewhat too close to the Yonge Line so north of Science Centre the Ontario Line should veer north east toward Agincourt to cover more ground and better to catch more easterly commuters which could also provide an alternative to using the Danforth line at all to go downtown.

Good idea but where exactly? Adjacent to the Midtown corridor or tunnelled beneath it? Or somewhere else?

I feel like the Relief Line/Ontario Line could split into 2 branches north of Eglinton. One branch headed towards Richmond Hill Centre, the other towards Malvern. Or two lines sharing the same tunnel from Science Centre to Exhibition or wherever it terminates in the west end.

Something like this.

Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 2.51.48 PM.png

Hey everyone,

For all the ArcGIS and Google Maps users, does anyone know if the Mississauga Dundas BRT map exists in a Shapefile or KML format anywhere?

I've scoured some Open Data sources and the ArcGIS database but couldnt find it.

Thanks!!!

I don't think there are any stations confirmed yet. In terms of a shapefile, it's basically just a line on Dundas Street from border to border, so would be easy to draw in ArcGIS or Google MyMaps. The Dundas Connects study (link) would have the most current info, but really you have to wait for the TPAP/EA (probably starting this year) which will confirm the alignment and stations.

A project I've had on the back burner for a while ago, I was compelled to pick this up again when I had nothing to do last week. Presenting a new map of expanded TTC service across Toronto, and reaching into Vaughan, Markham, Mississauga, and Richmond Hill.

iJNtnVQ.png

Streetcar and BRT services were not included.

Here's a little summary of all of the lines:

Metro Transit
Line 1 Yonge-University-Spadina: The Yonge branch has been extended north to Richmond Hill Centre, and a single infill station has been added between Eglinton and Lawrence. Outside a few station names, nothing else has changed.
Line 2 Bloor-Danforth: The line has been extended west by one stop to Cloverdale, approximately at the site of the former Honeydale Mall. The three-stop Scarborough Extention has been added as well. I would prefer it be elevated, though.
Line 3 Ontario: It's the Relief Line. Extended north to Steeles along Don Mills Road, and west along Queen to Dufferin, then over to Dundas, then north through Dundas/Keele/Weston to Wilson.
Line 4 Sheppard-Downsview: From stubway to spine. Extended west along Sheppard, through the Downsview Airport lands, and west along Wilson. It hugs the 401 and the GO corridor to reach Pearson Airport, to serve as a more direct route for airport travellers coming from north of the city. The Sheppard East LRT was passed over in favour of an eastwards extension to McCowan: I think an LRT beyond McCowan might actually be overkill when there are more desirable areas to be intensified. The stop placement was iffy east of Warden because of a lack of a focal point along the avenue.

Light Rail Transit
Line 5 Eglinton:
Extended east of Kennedy to Kingston Road. The proposed western extension has been left as is.
Line 6 Finch West: Extended south of Humber College to the Woodbine Racetrack area. Line 4 makes an extension to the airport redundant. On the eastern end, the line is extended east to Yonge Street.
Line 7 Waterfront: Might replace the 501 west of Parkside. Grade-separated through downtown. The eastern routing follows Greenwood to Line 2, to increase redundancy and preserve the 501/2/3 streetcars.
Line 8 Jane: Meant to funnel Jane passengers into Lines 1, 3, and 5. Probably at-grade for the most part, like Finch West. Avoiding the difficult terrain south of Eglinton by terminating at Mount Dennis also serves as a more convenient transfer than Jane/Bloor for downtown commuters.
Line 9 Spadina-Dupont: The 509 extended north to Dupont Station, and then west along Dupont and Dundas until Jane. Some intermediate stops consolidated or removed.
Line 10 Kingston: Begins at Main Street, travelling east on Gerrard and then Hollis or Danforth until reaching Kingston. Stops at Lawrence, in a big box area with potential for development into a proper anchor district.
Line 11 Lawrence East: An at-grade route mostly intended to spur development at key intersections, including Vic Park, Birchmount, and Markham Road.
Line 12 St Clair: The 512 extended west to Jane. Some intermediate stops consolidated or removed.
Line 13 Warden Markham: Partly to plug the hole between Line 3 and the Scarborough extension of Line 2, partly to provide a link to downtown Markham that takes VIVA buses off of Don Mills. Its effectiveness in some areas would hinge on future developments on the Stouffville GO line.
Line 14 Downtown Express: The 504, with some intermediate stops consolidated or removed. Could run concurrently with the existing King streetcar service.

(edited to add a better resolution image of the network)

Back