News   Jul 10, 2024
 266     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 445     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Transit Fantasy Maps

The thing that bugged me about Transit City was how disjointed it was. It seemed like it was slapped together. The Finch LRT came to an abrupt stop at Yonge. The Sheppard subway was not connected to Downsview, but instead carried east using an LRT. Madness!
So how's about this. Seeing as how Transit City appears dead in the water, and Toronto is hellbent on not building subways anymore, I've taken some lessons from the LRT systems in Edmonton and Calgary and created this map. Here, the only new subway construction is a completion of the Sheppard line to Downsview, making the stub useful. In addition, the SRT as we know it is replaced with something that's not ICTS. There are four new LRT lines running, for the most part, at grade in the roadways. These lines are not glorified streetcars; stop spacing is only marginally less than midtown subway stop spacing. And in my mind, these trains would use a combination of priority transit signalling and some sort of traffic light synchronization so that they never stop at a red light because they never encounter a red light. Hopefully that can bring out a speed advantage over a streetcar.
The new LRT lines are: Don Mills - Downtown - Weston; Eglinton Crosstown; Finch - Scarborough (basically a looooong extension of the SRT); and Kipling. I attempted to increase connections with the various GO Train lines. I was tempted to mothball the entire Sheppard line since the Finch LRT is not too far away, but why destroy what you already (more or less) have? I figure the LRT vehicles would arrive at stops every 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the time of day. Some of the stations are underground.
Let me know what you guys think!

Fresh Start
I love the map but not only due to it's design but also the fact that it is doable within 15 years at the most. It uses interlining, rail ROW, and much of the Sheppard ext will be elevated due to your configuration. I also like the DRL which will be useful for people crossing downtown not just those going straight to Union.
I also like the use of BRT which can be very effection at a fraction of the price of LRT.

A side point is that Richmond Hill Centre would be a transfer to Langstaff GO.

Edit: Also, the York University GO station will be moved south to interchange with the Sheppard West subway station.

There are several new GO stations in the plans. There will be a St. Clair GO station on the Barrie line, etc.

Last edited:
Seeing as how Transit City appears dead in the water, and Toronto is hellbent on not building subways anymore, I've taken some lessons from the LRT systems in Edmonton and Calgary and created this map. Here, the only new subway construction is a completion of the Sheppard line to Downsview, making the stub useful.

Hold on. Everyone loves subways, and many of the mayoral candidates have said that they want to build them, and we're building more subways right now; maybe there's a bright future for our venerable subway network after all.

I love subways too. Call me jaded, but politicians have a way of saying they'll do something and then not doing it once elected. I dunno.
Anyway, updated map!

FS: I like the proposed TTC system as you mapped it on May 12th-I agree with all of the proposed Subway lines there-even though I feel that the E/W Subway thru Downtown should directly replace either the King or Queen Streetcar/LRV lines.
A "loop" line created via Sheppard West to Downsview would be another thought here...
Penguin's map from today (May 19th) shows some very interesting TTC Subway and LRT routes also.
That proposed 2075 map you mention - judging by the map you posted - will be rather interesting I believe...LI MIKE

Last edited:
new maps

Attachments

• ttcmap3.jpg
    ttcmap3.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 431
  • ttc4.jpg
    ttc4.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 446
Okay here's my latest entry into the fray:

TTC2050.jpg

Tah dah! Why use Photoshop when you can just manipulate a proprietary map instead? ;)

Great map Fresh Start. It looks basically like our SOS map. Maybe we should use it on the SOS website? :p

As a fantasy map, I'd extend Sheppard west to Downsview, and I'd add in the Yonge extension, and bring the DRL north to Sheppard, and extend Bloor to Dixie at the very least or go all the way to MCC (which I realize isn't on the map).

Inkscape is a good, free, open-source vector-based drawing program (like Illustrator or Corel).

Use the step-by-step tutorial on Wikipedia to get a good start on making attractive transit maps.

I thought it might be a good idea to use this Inkscape of yours to try drawing some maps for SOS. Make some pretty maps. Unfortunately, this program drove me up the wall. I followed the tutorial step-by-step and the goddamn program wouldn't let me do the things the tutorial asked me to do. I drew a line, followed by some circles. I got that far. And then I had to draw more stupid lines. It asks you to make them 12 pixels wide, and 1.5x the width of the line in height. OH MY GOD something so simple never seemed so complicated. First of all, I set the width to 12, okay that's fine. Then I try to resize the line in the toolbar. Bad idea. It instantly resizes the width as well. And no, the proportions are NOT locked. I have no idea why it does this. When I try to do it manually, when I make the line shorter it suddenly decides it wants to be curvy. WTF. I don't think I've been so frustrated with a computer program since university. Such a simple step and I got stumped. And gave up. Eff that. Bye bye freeware.

TO_penguin

My only complaint is that Kipling seems like a silly place for an RT line - it's a lot more needed on Jane. (or if you insist on Etobicoke, at least choose Islington, it's busier)

Be careful what you wish for. Subways are very expensive compared to surface technologies so for every 10km of subway you may get 100km of LRT.

A finer grid of LRT lines will make the entire city more accessible to transit. A less-fine grid of subways will only serve selected corridors.

A finer grid of LRT lines will allow alternative routes if there are problems on one line. A less-fine grid of subways can be greatly affected by one malfunctioning train.

A finer grid of LRT lines will encourage a humane scale of development through-out the city. A less fine grid of subways will concentrate very high densities at nodes while leaving large portions of the city as suburban wastelands.

LRT's add to the character and liveliness of the streets. Subways don't.

Be careful what you wish for. Subways are very expensive compared to surface technologies so for every 10km of subway you may get 100km of LRT.

A finer grid of LRT lines will make the entire city more accessible to transit. A less-fine grid of subways will only serve selected corridors.

A finer grid of LRT lines will allow alternative routes if there are problems on one line. A less-fine grid of subways can be greatly affected by one malfunctioning train.

A finer grid of LRT lines will encourage a humane scale of development through-out the city. A less fine grid of subways will concentrate very high densities at nodes while leaving large portions of the city as suburban wastelands.

LRT's add to the character and liveliness of the streets. Subways don't.

*First, the debate should not be "Subway vs LRT", as it sounds apple to oranges.
Subway vs streetcar, or HRT vs LRT. Apple to apple.*

And you get what you pay for. Subways are long-term transit investment compared to surface street-mop (TTC Streetcars). Subway last as little as half a century while streetcar has short maximum lifespan (as much as only 30 years).

"A less-fine" grid of subway still able to generate higher ridership and allow easier connection to other forms of transit as long as they are placed in grid form as streetcars. Streetcars' incompatibility with subways would mean unnecessary transfers, delays and slower trips. And the way TTC utilizes streetcar is mostly in-median arteries, slowing down the neighbouring traffic and in chance of upgrade to metro, it would force delaying entire transit operations along that artery. Only Eglinton Crosstown (as Transit City) minimizes that slowdown (by marginally, at least around the midtown) and SRT improvement is only a step above that already-craptastic ICTS.

LRT and HRT works the same (the only difference is capacity). Subway and streetcars DO NOT. For a cheaper streetcar you can have a traffic chaos, with no alternative shuttle service along the affected route. And a route diversion or detour, would slow down another streetcar routes. Subway on the other hand, interrupts any aboveground traffic by close to nil (at usual stage) apart from deploying extra shuttle buses. If the subway breakdown creates that delay, A same streetcar network would freeze the entire traffic along the surrounding areas.

Both LRT and HRT encourages any development throughout the city. Subway, though, if properly implemented (not like TTC's Sheppard Line), actually reduces sprawl by concentrating at very high densities at nodes (a smart growth, considering sprawl = mass concrete waste on greenfields) and discouraging sprawls outside the nodes. Developers are in competition for the land grab near the subway hub and spokes, saving much of a space for possible later development in proper time stage. Scarborough (and pretty much of Toronto) is a wasteland because of poor planning, lack of rapid transit access, and no discipline for developers to develop smart growth along the transit corridors. As for streetcars, sure they do encourage even scale of development, but how fast can they develop on streetcar corridors as compared to subway corridors?

Streetcars adds the "character and liveliness of the streets" at an expense of traffic. Subways do the same job as streetcars, sans the interference of traffic. Don't think that a busy street with "streetcar" stickered onto a middle of the street would make a street look good. It's cheap excuse of a real transit improvement.

To create a healthy city, traffic is crucial. Getting from point A to point B must be seamless, convenient, and precise. It is as important as the growth of developments around the city. Subways fulfill that role. Streetcar is nothing more than a drag-racing carrousels. Believe me, I took too much Spadinas and Queens already. Queen St. needs a subway of its own. As do Bathurst.

I'm not against LRTs in favour of HRT. I'm bashing Transit City as a call for a only solution to burgeoning traffic in 416 and to/from 905. SOS does respond to a more-focused traffic movement in Toronto and alleviate the overdependence on inefficient downtown streetcars and buses. Transit City overlooks the opportunity for free development in transit-crucial corridors and rather respond to "rationalize the sprawl" in car-overloaded streets.

Cost-analysis, TTC just gave too much control to unions, Liber-rats, Kim Jong Miller & Co. The City does not have a revenue-boost strategy of its own. The transit agencies lack comprehensive relationships with neighbourhoods, businesses, developers and planners. Canada should follow the footsteps of China, London, Brazil and California on allowing foreign investments into transit. Canada is seriously too protectionistic. I thought Canada was embracing diversity. Not so in business. Canada has Bombardier, so why not convince the company to engage a transit development for them? Or foreign rail companies? No wonder Canada engaging into NAFTA does too much harm onto itself.

Last edited:

Yonge has no character and liveliness? Everyone who uses the Yonge and Bloor subways only live or work on those corridors. No one from outside these corridors?

The fact is, subways have more of a regional impact, especially in Toronto where the stations have bus terminals in fare-paid zones. A grid of subway lines does not have to be as fine-grained as a grid of LRT lines. The geographic influence of a subway line is much greater than that of an LRT line. Subways have that "funneling" effect that LRT lacks, or at least LRT as defined by Transit City doesn't.

Plus, it doesn't make sense to have LRT everywhere when not every corridor can support LRT. Most corridors so not have the development potential. If makes sense to focus on a fewer number of corridors with subway.

Back