News   Jul 09, 2024
 283     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 468     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

wrong photo thats the subway on the new RT route but here is the map:D

Based on that angular routing, I'm guessing it's not a subway. And therefore, I don't like it. Haven't 30 years of the SRT proved that everyone hates the transfer at STC? Why not just end the subway at a more logical point?

I'd love for someone to explain to me how VCC and RHC deserve subways, yet MCC and STC don't.

TTC_v8.png

I'm proposing this alternative map I made because it includes everything while being simple and easy to adjust.

Last edited:
^ That map is amazing. Just imagine if the DRL and Sheppard extension was included. :)

I'm proposing this alternative map I made because it includes everything while being simple and easy to adjust.

That is a very nice and clear map. Very Beck-like. It'd be a switch for Toronto to get away from a geographical based GO Transit map, but I think people could get used to it.

I would, however, use different lines for GO rail versus subway. Perhaps with "hollow" lines like the London Connections (aka Oyster services) map.

^ That map is amazing. Just imagine if the DRL and Sheppard extension was included. :)

That would be my next goal; I'd ideally like to put in the Vaughan extension first, since they are working on it already and I'd like to see what they would proposed as a rout for the DRL. I think I've played out the "Transit-Toronto" route too much already.

I would, however, use different lines for GO rail versus subway. Perhaps with "hollow" lines like the London Connections (aka Oyster services) map.

That's an idea worth trying, I was thinking of a better way to differentiate the GO lines without making it stand out too much.

That's beautiful! Maybe take a bit of information from the subway section (to make it less cluttered,) and that could make an outstanding Go map. Nice work! :D

Could you elabourate a bit more? I don't think I follow.

That's a nice map. A good change of perspective, though the lack of distinction between different levels of service causes some confusion.

Two small corrections:
You put the stop at Bloor on the wrong GO line (though that nicely illustrates how GO could serve as an Bloor Danforth Express line), and you also misspelled St. Catharines.

Could you elabourate a bit more? I don't think I follow.
I was just thinking that it's a bit cluttered with all the Subway stations. I'm not sure how to do it, but maybe making the subway lines a tad bit smaller, or by only labeling the interchanges, idk. Don't get me wrong, it's a great map, and I'd vastly prefer it to the current map Go uses :)

That's a nice map. A good change of perspective, though the lack of distinction between different levels of service causes some confusion.

Two small corrections:
You put the stop at Bloor on the wrong GO line (though that nicely illustrates how GO could serve as an Bloor Danforth Express line), and you also misspelled St. Catharines.

Hahaha, WHOOPS; it is now fixed (as Version 8.1.1). This goes to show you how much I know nothing about GO Transit let alone what's outside of Toronto. Thanks for the corrections.

As for line distinction, I'm working on it now with the suggestion GregWTravels (Post #1080) made about London's style of "hollowed lines" for their commuter rails.

@GregWTravels and @Second_in_pie

TTC_v8h.png

Any better? Is this a bit clearer?
A more in-depth legend will come later.

Last edited:
I chose this portrait style map layout as opposed to the regular landscape style so that we could follow what other transit cities do. They put their maps above the seats beside the doors rather than as a banner where all the advertisements are.

So it'd be like so:
map.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure whether or not it's a good idea, but have you tried putting in the lake as a reference? You could use either a pastel blue or light grey. I know Chicago does this (warning, PDF), but being as this map is much more abstract, I'm not sure how well it would work stylistically.

Here in London we had a BIG bru-haha when the Thames River was removed from the tube maps, so much so that the mayor had to step in and "reinstate" the river. People seem to like the concept of water on their subway maps. :p

Any better? Is this a bit clearer?

Very nice. I might add "connections" bubbles at stops where there are connections between lines (i.e. Union, Shepard-Yonge, etc), and a "long connection bubble" between Bloor and Dundas West (as they do between Spadina and Bathurst).

I like the mock-up you did of the map on the future subway trains. :)

Greg

Back