News   May 17, 2024
 2.9K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Transit Fantasy Maps

I hope our next provincial government (whoever that is), gets Milton expanded to Cambridge (with more service), pushes Bolton (already slowly happening), and gets Midtown on the table (likely to Seaton) with HFR on the northern Peterborough corridor.
The more I look at Cambridge the fonder I get of extending Milton up the GJR with a riverfront station in Guelph. Especially in combination with a Fergus route to Cambridge I really have a hard time justifying Milton - Cambridge over it.

Only thing missing is the Orangeville line right after Streetsville.
since they ripped out the rails the chance of this happeneing (north of brampton at least) is now lowwww. Rapid service all the way to mayfield in brampton however is totally doable.
Put this together a while ago but here's my vision for what improved Milton and Richmond Hill Lines could look like, with a branch to Mayfield. These services could provide express alternatives to Line 1 and the Hurontario LRT. With short tunnels in MCC and under the Don Mills Trail, and the restoration of the Don Branch (plus some deals with CP) we can enable fast frequent express service between the GTAs largest urban centres currently lacking reliable rail transit.
Couple of my other GO expansion ideas seen in background (GO 407, Midtown-407) plus Bolton and Peterborough GO.
Mississauga Lines.png

Aside from my note about preferring Guelph to Cambridge, I’d observe again that given the corridor limitation OBR has north of Brampton there’s a lot to be said for a new ROW from Bolton to Orangeville instead of rebuilding OBR as it was.

I’d also suggest that the trains out to Cambridge or Guelph are the ones that should skip the MCC loop if it were built given that these are the ones begging for any time saving that can be achieved. Similarly, wouldn’t more useful connections be gained by turning Milton trains downtown and through running the Guelph spur to Richmond Hill? Actually, seeing as this would involve getting access to crosstown anyway, I’d say that the Milton trains should probably be the ones to skip Union and wholly eliminate trains terminating at Union.

Skip Union? As in, you think Milton trains should not call at Union at all?
As in if the Midtown corridor happens, yes, I'd be inclined (in this configuration) to service it by redirecting the Milton trains to Scarborough via Midtown rather than introduce an additional service. The only riders it would seem to really significantly hurt are those boarding between Milton and Streetsville who lose a one seat ride to MCC (if it's actually worth having any trains bypass MCC, which I'm not convinced of).

As in if the Midtown corridor happens, yes, I'd be inclined (in this configuration) to service it by redirecting the Milton trains to Scarborough via Midtown rather than introduce an additional service. The only riders it would seem to really significantly hurt are those boarding between Milton and Streetsville who lose a one seat ride to MCC (if it's actually worth having any trains bypass MCC, which I'm not convinced of).
So everyone taking the Milton line to Union would have to transfer off at Kipling station?

I never realised until now that there is a North-South track that runs parallel west of Kipling Ave. I'm assuming this track is owned by CP? Do they still use it? If Metrolinx were to take ownership of this track than you could run Lakeshore West trains into the Midtown Corridor. Connect Long Brach to Kipling. Potentially allowing passengers to take just one train from Hamilton to Scarborough (Agincourt).

Last edited:
Could the 5 lines that are not along the Lakeshore be rerouted along the Midtown Corridor alternating between it and Union?

So everyone taking the Milton line to Union would have to transfer off at Kipling station?

I never realised until now that there is a North-South track that runs parallel west of Kipling Ave. I'm assuming this track is owned by CP? Do they still use it? If Metrolinx were to take ownership of this track than you could run Lakeshore West trains into the Midtown Corridor. Connect Long Brach to Kipling. Potentially allowing passengers to take just one train from Hamilton to Scarborough (Agincourt).
This one?
1700834871767.png

Owned by Metrolinx.

The problem is frequency. You're cutting Union-bound frequency in half on LSW, and the track connection doesn't solve the problem of CP owning the Midtown Corridor.

Besides, we have a perfectly good corridor through downtown. Just through-run trains onto LSE. Until that is at capacity, any talk of Midtown will be just that - talk.

The problem is frequency. You're cutting Union-bound frequency in half on LSW, and the track connection doesn't solve the problem of CP owning the Midtown Corridor.
I definitely don't want to cut Union station frequency on the LSW line, and I understand this proposal is pointless until CP gets serious about construct a freight bypass. No doubt if we ever get the Midtown corridor, Metrolinx would have to invest in more trains and staff.

This one?

Owned by Metrolinx.

Besides, we have a perfectly good corridor through downtown. Just through-run trains onto LSE. Until that is at capacity, any talk of Midtown will be just that - talk.
This is a fascinating map. Where did you find this?

Back