News   Apr 23, 2024
 7     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 531     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 396     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

View attachment 243575

A bit of a different scale from what I usually do, but I feel like there's a bus route needed right here to close a bit of a gap in the TTC network.

It starts in the east at Laird Station to bring people off of the Crosstown and to serve the RioCan Centre. It then turns onto Rumsey Road, with a stop at Broadway, before entering the Toronto Rehab Complex. It hits the Rumsey Centre, Holland Bloorview, and the CNIB before heading straight to the Sunnybrook Hospital. (This section overlaps with Community Bus 407, which does not operate on Fridays and weekends.) The bus then serves the entirety of Blythwood Road, skips past Yonge without stopping (unless an infill station is built in the area), and proceeds down Glencairn. At Glencairn Station, the service will either reverse direction or turn onto Marlee and end at Lawrence West Station.

It's not really a high density route, or one that should necessarily be redeveloped, but I imagine most people getting on or off the bus east of Yonge and at Glencairn Station.
I would take that route in a heartbeat, since I sometimes work in Holland Bloorview.

However, there's a gate at Rumsey and Kilgour.

I would take that route in a heartbeat, since I sometimes work in Holland Bloorview.

However, there's a gate at Rumsey and Kilgour.
Damn. If the gates were replaced with some other system, or somehow allowed buses past, I would actually shift the line to stop at the Lyndhurst facility as well before taking Lyndhurst or Laird to Laird Station. I guess it could also backtrack to Bayview and then either continue to Leaside Station or follow Broadway Avenue to Laird.

Also, why end Line 3 at Davisville and St Clair West? Yonge could do with the extra capacity, and turning trains around at St. Clair West doesn’t seem ideal unless we do some major work on the station.

St Clair West is where the pocket track is (the TTC currently short-turns some trains during rush hour there), and Davisville has a 3rd platform. The idea would be that the train would do a quick turn-around at St Clair West, and then take recovery at Davisville.

Woodconnor.png

Here's an idea for a subway or light rail line servicing the East End, and the industrial area around O'Connor and St. Clair. Not sure what the necessity of this line would be; I suppose it's more of a thinkpiece?

View attachment 247984

Here's an idea for a subway or light rail line servicing the East End, and the industrial area around O'Connor and St. Clair. Not sure what the necessity of this line would be; I suppose it's more of a thinkpiece?
Something like this, but extended into Downtown, could be used to relieve the Ontario Line once that’s overcapacity

Last edited:
Conceptually, I like the idea of the city taking a look at our housing crisis, identifying an area like O'Connor as near downtown and able to sustain high-density mixed-use development, and building a line like the one depicted.

Given that O'Connor is supposed to be realigned away from Eglinton and become a new east-west collector road south of Eglinton between Victoria Park and Warden (or was it as far east as Birchmount?), I wonder if there was a way to make the Golden Mile into the Golden Loop.

View attachment 247984

I call it the Relief Relief Relief line. The first relief for relieving line 1 and 2, the second relief for the Ontario Line and the third for the purpose of this line.

I call it the Relief Relief Relief line. The first relief for relieving line 1 and 2, the second relief for the Ontario Line and the third for the purpose of this line.
Now, if we could get Toronto Blue Jays closer Ken Giles (or a future relief pitcher, most preferably a closer, for the Jays) to sponsor a station in the Relief Relief Relief Line, it would be great.

Last edited:
Parliament LRT.png

This one would be relatively easy to implement, as some of the infrastructure already exists. It's a streetcar on Parliament Street! Grade separated along Queen's Quay, shifting to street-running on Parliament Street itself. White circles with black outlines are the stops that should absolutely be there. Black circles are the stops that would be useful but can be consolidated out.

The line might relieve a little bit of pressure off the subway system, but mostly make it easier for neighbourhoods along the street - particularly around Wellesley - to access rapid transit.

Excellent idea! It is a good way to jump-start the Waterfront LRT on Queen's Quay East as well, as you could built the necessary ROW and infrastructure for LRT on Queen's Quay East and support the developments taking place there, while we wait for an actual Waterfront LRT service that extends into the Portlands.

View attachment 249400

This one would be relatively easy to implement, as some of the infrastructure already exists. It's a streetcar on Parliament Street! Grade separated along Queen's Quay, shifting to street-running on Parliament Street itself. White circles with black outlines are the stops that should absolutely be there. Black circles are the stops that would be useful but can be consolidated out.

The line might relieve a little bit of pressure off the subway system, but mostly make it easier for neighbourhoods along the street - particularly around Wellesley - to access rapid transit.

A no-brainer to everyone but the TTC it seems.

Duffronto.png

Hearing about the city's plan to expedite bus lanes on a number of streets was good to hear, and I think the most important corridor for that is Dufferin, as it's a very busy one but unlikely to get a light rail line. This is how I would mark out the completed route.

NORTH END: York University - The Pond Road - Murray Ross

These "stations" would be curbside stops along the York University Busway. Murray Ross would not have a direct connection to Finch West, as the two stops immediately before York University would be designed to be optional and for the convenience of York University students.

NORTH OF 401: Finch - Steeprock - Sheppard West - Allen - Home Road - Wilson

Somewhere north of Allen Station, the buses would ideally shift from curbside to middle-lane, running through the Downsview Airport redevelopment. Ideally the bus lanes would go through this area as straight as possible, with the two stations positioned at high density nodes.

MIDTOWN: Yorkdale - Orfus - Lawrence - Glencairn - Castlefield - Fairbank (Eglinton) - Preston (/ Gibson) - Rogers - St Clair - Davenport

Maybe the busiest part of the line? Dedicated bus lanes all the way through here, without detouring to the Yorkdale bus terminal.

SOUTH of the TRACKS: Dupont Lappin - Bloor - College - Bank (/ Stonehouse) - Queen - King - Liberty - Exhibition

A station would be positioned on the east edge of the Galleria development as opposed to on either corner. Bank, Queen, and King stations could potentially be skipped if the space is needed to end dedicated bus lanes. The route turns onto Liberty Village and stops curbside across from the Lamport Stadium parking lot, and terminates at Exhibition.

I decided to extend the line through Downsview as it would be the most natural route to serve the future developments there, perhaps detouring through Transit Road and Allen Road before that route is built. I also chose York University as the terminus because the York University Busway branches off Dufferin right as the development potential peters off.

I hadn't really considered taking Dufferin north of Downsview before, but I like that. Maybe cut it back to Finch West though, between the Finch LRT connection and the University's desire to keep out surface transit; a new ROW into the campus seems like a hill not worth fighting over, let alone dying on.

What I keep coming back to on Dufferin though is that even BRT isn't going to have space for dedicated lanes on the places it's most needed, and that capacity is as critical as speed and reliability here. Light rail in the true sense isn't likely (if it's even doable), but how about a very high end streetcar? Use the curb lane and eliminate parking, but continue in mixed traffic where necessary for traffic flow. The biggie though is building double length platforms. Keep this as part of the city system, but order a number of MU capable cars for train operation (or Edmonton length single units). This should do more for the capacity problems and at least as much for bunching than surface BRT is capable of given the ROW constraints.

Back