News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 529     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

I find it astonishing how so people here oppose subway extensions into Scarborough and support the continued segregation of the poor in Scarborough from the rest of Toronto. I guess "the ones among us who truly love this city" don't want blacks and Asians from Scarborough to "ruin" it. There's no story there - it's pure racist rage without a human element.
I'd say that your rage is far more racist that anything the pro-LRT people on this forum have in mind. After all, you're proposing that the LRT supporters are A) all white and B) all hate blacks and Asians. Both of those seem like fairly racist assumptions to me. In fact, I half suspect that the only reason you're bringing this up is so pro-LRT members join your side in order to look non-racist.

I mean, seriously, fight for subway all you want and I'll be on your side. The minute you start playing the race card with the hope that someone will join you on that basis alone, I start losing respect fast. Save such accusations for real discrimination, not bad planning that's replicated in six other places in the city, including some areas that contain a white majority.

And all this anger is because all you geniuses who signed have already somehow coughed up the money to build this subway of yours?

Well then by all means. Build it.

Draft a contract up that says stop the LRT project and you'll pay to build a subway and I'll sign it in a second.

Otherwise, go whine somewhere else please.

Pathetic.
Is there some particular reason why you're acting like such a tremendous cock to us when we're trying to be civil in return? I wrote out a post which laid out all of my reasons for disagreeing with you and you turned around and called me pathetic. I don't even know where to go from here because you insist on responding to everything someone says with an insult to their intelligence, as if you and only you know what's best for the city.

No, he's right. The hope is that the blacks and asians will be stuck waiting at traffic lights for hours leaving white downtown hipsters more opportunity to live it up and have street festivals.

And all this anger is because all you geniuses who signed have already somehow coughed up the money to build this subway of yours?

Well then by all means. Build it.

Draft a contract up that says stop the LRT project and you'll pay to build a subway and I'll sign it in a second.

Otherwise, go whine somewhere else please.

Pathetic.
The only one whining and inciting anger here is yourself ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say that your rage is far more racist that anything the pro-LRT people on this forum have in mind. After all, you're proposing that the LRT supporters are A) all white and B) all hate blacks and Asians. Both of those seem like fairly racist assumptions to me. In fact, I half suspect that the only reason you're bringing this up is so pro-LRT members join your side in order to look non-racist.

I mean, seriously, fight for subway all you want and I'll be on your side. The minute you start playing the race card with the hope that someone will join you on that basis alone, I start losing respect fast. Save such accusations for real discrimination, not bad planning that's replicated in six other places in the city, including some areas that contain a white majority.

Considering the labeling all supporters of subway as haters of Toronto on the same page, I would have thought that an equally, if not more, outrageous labeling of all LRT supporters as haters of blacks and Asians would been seen as obvious sarcasm, but I guess I was wrong. Perhaps there is more truth to this racism angle than I thought.

...anyways.

There are some very good reasons to oppose the Sheppard LRT. Lack of speed, high cost, poor route layout, too many transfers and so forth. A good indicator of how bad an idea the SE-LRT is is that the main line of defense is that we might as well just do something because something is better than nothing, and all opposition to something called Transit City is being done by anti transit zealots.

I find the biggest waste is the east half of the line.

This will be the major intersection of the SRT/Sheppard LRT... single family homes backlotting onto an arterial

sheppardstation.jpg

this is just down the road, two LRT stations are shown
thehomedepot.jpg

There does not seem to be a plan for these areas like for the Spadina and Yonge extensions, they are mostly stable neighbourhoods and low-density employment areas.

And if you cut out the east part of the line, you might as well not build Sheppard East and just extend the subway instead rather than having the extra transfer.

Transit service will probably be worse, as the minimal increase in speed will be offset by the need to transfer several times to get anywhere.

reposting this image to illustrate that transit city needs to reconsider all these new lines that will just increase transfers and not offer significant speed improvements
Transfer_City_North.jpg

Last edited:
This is a silly idea and I am convinced it will fail.

Also, from an optics perspective, you do understand that the fact that your postal code begins with an 'L' kind of hurts your legitimacy on this issue? The media is unlikely to pay much attention to a dude from Mississauga opposing the expansion of transit in North York & Scarborough. There's no story there - it's pure transit nerd rage without a human element.

But whatever. More petitions! Did you know these so-called trains will stop at TRAFFIC LIGHTS?

The fact that my postal code starts with an L and I live in Mississauga should be an eye opener, not a detriment. The fact that someone from Mississauga can see the benefit to a line that doesn't directly influence him whatsoever should show you that I don't have personal interests at stake.

I thought we had moved beyond petty 416/905 bickering. But apparently not.

Did you know these so-called trains will stop at TRAFFIC LIGHTS?

Yes, we knew that. The EA makes it clear that vehicles will stop at red lights (which is why increased stop spacing wasn't recommended). What's being questioned here is the [lack of] wisdom in spending a billion dollars on something that does stop at red lights and will utterly fail to improve on existing bus service.

The fact is that it's a great thing that's going on for Toronto and some buffoons are trying to ruin it for the ones among us who truly love this city.

The Sheppard LRT is not a great thing for Toronto. It's not good for anyone. A billion dollars down the drain to end up with service that's no better than what currently exists (and could be improved).

The back yards along the street are indeed a blight, but the corridor also has lots of brownfield opportunities. If the infrastructure is in place before these sites are redeveloped, then it will attract the kind of people who will use the LRT.

The problem with online petitions is that anyone could sign it. Someone used 'Adam Giambrone'

Yes that is a problem with online petitions. But with these things it's only the number of "signatures" that matters. It's a way to express discontent with what is happening.

Back