News   Jul 17, 2024
 583     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 510     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     0 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

I feel like we're all lame ducks, or some sort of helpless losers who can't do shit about stuff that was decided with little consideration and critical thought/analysis.

Heck, we can write up our own EA, couldn't we?

I feel like we're all lame ducks, or some sort of helpless losers who can't do shit about stuff that was decided with little consideration and critical thought/analysis.
That's only because we're all lame ducks, or some sort of helpless losers who can't do shit about stuff that was decided with little consideration and critical thought/analysis.

And yet, Madrids super excellent subways were built with even less thought consultation or analysis.

Nothing ever gets done when we study them to death. All the great transit systems in the world were Just built. not studied and analyzed endlessly.

Unfortunately, we are victims of public apathy here. The public just want something built. They don't care what. But as soon as it's done, I can't wait for people to start saying how stupide the SELRT is. And why the hell does it no go to STC? And why didn't they just extend the subway. Just wait. Those comments will start within 6 months of putting this thing into service.

People who still have ride buses on Finch and Lawrence, half way across town or have to divert to use the LRT are going to think this line is just as much a waste of money too. In a way, maybe the SELRT will showcase the worst aspects of LRT and kill LRT completely in this city. And that would be just as unfortunate as how subway construction has been completely written off in recent times.

And yet, Madrids super excellent subways were built with even less thought consultation or analysis.

Nothing ever gets done when we study them to death. All the great transit systems in the world were Just built. not studied and analyzed endlessly.

Maybe we can hold a title of the most studied and EA-ed subway system in the world? Both in terms of time and money spent? At least something to be proud of :)

Unfortunately, we are victims of public apathy here. The public just want something built. They don't care what. But as soon as it's done, I can't wait for people to start saying how stupide the SELRT is. And why the hell does it no go to STC? And why didn't they just extend the subway. Just wait. Those comments will start within 6 months of putting this thing into service.

People who still have ride buses on Finch and Lawrence, half way across town or have to divert to use the LRT are going to think this line is just as much a waste of money too. In a way, maybe the SELRT will showcase the worst aspects of LRT and kill LRT completely in this city. And that would be just as unfortunate as how subway construction has been completely written off in recent times.

I think the more likely scenario is that the line gets built, the streetcars are filled with people every day, everyone complains when the line is slow or the cars get bunched up or whatever (as people do), and life goes on.

The city's made less-than-ideal decisions when it comes to transit in the past. People adapt.

What would it take to do that? Protests? New government? What can you do, what can I do, what can my neighbor do, what can my friend do?

How can they start a project if they do not have the plans finalized for the entire thing?

If one of the Toronto's mayoral candidates appears willing to reconsider Transit City and include subway network expansion into the mix - support that candidate, take part in the discussions, public meetings etc.

If one of the Toronto's mayoral candidates appears willing to reconsider Transit City and include subway network expansion into the mix - support that candidate, take part in the discussions, public meetings etc.

Is there any such candidate?

That's only because we're all lame ducks, or some sort of helpless losers who can't do shit about stuff that was decided with little consideration and critical thought/analysis.

*cries*

Back