News   Jul 17, 2024
 187     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 816     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 543     0 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

compared to the porkbarrel-lobbyist method that preceeded it?

Compared to building a form of public transit that is proven to get people out of their cars due to its reliability and existing solely in its own ROW.

I got a question.

Is there any hope in hell to see the sheppard line extended victoria park or warden in the near future?

^ It would be nice to move the transfer point further east, either to Vic Park or to Kennedy (Agincourt mall and the GO station). That would make the existing portion of Sheppard subway more relevant.

The construction of Sheppard LRT starts from the east, hence a chance to upgrade the western section of the route still exists. But that would require extra funding.

^ It would be nice to move the transfer point further east, either to Vic Park or to Kennedy (Agincourt mall and the GO station). That would make the existing portion of Sheppard subway more relevant.

The construction of Sheppard LRT starts from the east, hence a chance to upgrade the western section of the route still exists. But that would require extra funding.

How far east does it start?

What would it take to do that? Protests? New government? What can you do, what can I do, what can my neighbor do, what can my friend do?

How can they start a project if they do not have the plans finalized for the entire thing?

How can they start a project if they do not have the plans finalized for the entire thing?
Easily. Only the parts that need to be done *now* need to be planned by now. Overlapping design and construction is hardly uncommon, as it reduces project timelines and allows the design process to adjust to unplanned events.

Having said that, the changes of Sheppard East being reopened so that a subway extension can be accomodated are very low. It's not nil, but it's close.

Easily. Only the parts that need to be done *now* need to be planned by now. Overlapping design and construction is hardly uncommon, as it reduces project timelines and allows the design process to adjust to unplanned events.

Having said that, the changes of Sheppard East being reopened so that a subway extension can be accomodated are very low. It's not nil, but it's close.

I just looked it up... they are starting at the meadows, quite far away...

...it would take them at least a year to get to kennedy. How can the chances be close to none to get something changed by then? What would it take to change something? Some protests? I wouldn't resort to domestic terrorism, but I think that something has to be done, and that that should be our obligation as citizens of Canada.

I will switch to supporting the SELRT if someone can explain to me how the Spadina (and to lesser extent Yonge) lines get extensions while the Sheppard line gets a transfer and an LRT (read lessor technology). Both have, or will have, major transportation nodes, development, etc but one qualifies for a subway extension and the other doesn't.

What do the Spadina (and Yonge) extensions have, at their new termini, that a Sheppard extension to STC does not?

Sprawl Potential.

...it would take them at least a year to get to kennedy. How can the chances be close to none to get something changed by then? What would it take to change something? Some protests? I wouldn't resort to domestic terrorism, but I think that something has to be done, and that that should be our obligation as citizens of Canada.
Why won't it happen? Because decisions have been made and money allocated. You're talking about halting construction, going through an entire new EA process (and one would be required), finding new funding, and - through all of that - getting all of the powers that be in this being willing to say "we made a mistake".

Sure, significant protests might be enough - but let's get real. There was an online petition on this a while back and 30 people signed it. There is NO hue and cry about this out there in the larger world, and the politicians are well aware of that.

Get some real public interest on this - such as the Save our Subways group is intended to do - and things might change. Otherwise, what is planned is going to be the plan, and a bunch of people grumbling on an Internet forum isn't going to change anything.

Last edited:
I will switch to supporting the SELRT if someone can explain to me how the Spadina (and to lesser extent Yonge) lines get extensions while the Sheppard line gets a transfer and an LRT (read lessor technology). Both have, or will have, major transportation nodes, development, etc but one qualifies for a subway extension and the other doesn't.

What do the Spadina (and Yonge) extensions have, at their new termini, that a Sheppard extension to STC does not?

Both prongs of the YUS subway head to York Region, which is two chances for York Region to call for extensions and two chances for the province to fund something that integrates regions and creates connections and generates buzzwords. Sheppard just runs in Toronto, and Toronto no longer wants to build subway lines. That's the difference.

If Scarborough and North York were separate cities, it might be different. In post-amalgamation Toronto we saw stuff like Scarborough councillors and citizens erupting into a very brief frenzy when trying to get a Danforth extension to replace the SRT, but this enthusiasm fizzled in about a week...councillors flipped and the public flopped and that was that.

And yet, while it is true that the two proposed Yonge termini are located in places where transit ridership will be generated and molded over time, and that Sheppard's terminus (STC and/or Downsview) will replace existing and more established corridors, that does not mean that Sheppard is a higher priority project or that one or both prongs of the YUS line should not be extended into York Region.

Even if someone supports extending Sheppard, they have to admit that when the nuts and bolts of money and timing are worked out, it's difficult to place Sheppard higher than about 5th in the "transit-funding-for-subway-projects line of succession." That doesn't make the LRT on Sheppard any less idiotic, of course.

I just looked it up... they are starting at the meadows, quite far away...

No, no. Definitely resort to domestic terrorism. This fully justifies it.

No, no. Definitely resort to domestic terrorism. This fully justifies it.

And the response by the current mayor would be to refuse to deploy the Police and build an LRT line to whatever neighbourhood he lives in, since it obviously need the socio-economic advantages that come with centre of the ROW LRT.

If he could convince the Tamils that Sri Lanka was secretly funding the Sheppard East LRT you might have a chance at stopping it.

And the response by the current mayor would be to refuse to deploy the Police and build an LRT line to whatever neighbourhood he lives in, since it obviously need the socio-economic advantages that come with centre of the ROW LRT.

An initiative to ban police cars and have officers only travel by LRT? I think Adam Giambrone just got his election platform.

Back