265     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
No one even supported Coruscanti Cognoscente's suggestion. I think just one reply in opposition would have been sufficient.
Several of us have been telling him this for months, and had no impact. I don't think one reply in opposition is enough.

Fifthed.

Several of us have been telling him this for months, and had no impact. I don't think one reply in opposition is enough.

Fifthed.

Unfortunately I can't take credit for the "Transfer City" moniker. But I do find it amusing and shall continue to use it. Although it best describes the Sheppard corridor situation, where you have buses to the west, then you have the Sheppard Stubway, and then you have the planned Sheppard LRT, and beyond that you'll have buses again. All those transfers seem silly to me. Especially when the Sheppard Subway was always supposed to terminate at STC.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't take credit for the "Transfer City" moniker. But I do find it amusing and shall continue to use it. Although it best describes the Sheppard corridor situation, where you have buses to the west, then you have the Sheppard Stubway, and then you have the planned Sheppard LRT, and beyond that you'll have buses again. All those transfers seem silly to me. Especially when the Sheppard Subway was always supposed to terminate at STC.

The "Transfer City" moniker is only applicable to two projects: the Sheppard subway / LRT split (where the moniker is well-deserved), and the connection between Danforth subway and STC (where the situation is more nuanced, and technically that corridor was not a part of the original Transit City plan).

In other cases, the proposed Transit City lines either follow existing bus routes (Finch, Don Mills, Jane) or combine two routes into one (Eglinton). No new transfers.

Transit City plan has its shortcomings, but transfers are not the largest of them.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Its because of that jerk that ripped off North Haverbrook!

Good one.

200px-9f101.png

My biggest concern is that the failure of a poor plan (Transfer City) will justify the belief that a good plan could not succeed (a network based on need, transfer reductions, and reducing trip times). If a whole lot of money is spent on Transfer City and then ridership does not significantly increase I worry that it will be used to prove there is a sufficient transit network in the city, there are no more improvements required, and that transit investments are a waste of money. If the existing Sheppard Line investment had been used to create a DRL or Eglinton line I wonder if the city would be so anti-subway today.

My biggest concern is that the failure of a poor plan (Transfer City) will justify the belief that a good plan could not succeed (a network based on need, transfer reductions, and reducing trip times). If a whole lot of money is spent on Transfer City and then ridership does not significantly increase I worry that it will be used to prove there is a sufficient transit network in the city, there are no more improvements required, and that transit investments are a waste of money. If the existing Sheppard Line investment had been used to create a DRL or Eglinton line I wonder if the city would be so anti-subway today.

A DRL, maybe, but an Eglinton line, probably not. Eglinton would have gotten a stubway used by like 50K people per day, and it would have been a subway to nowhere (a *real* nowhere, not a mall surrounded by one of the largest blobs of towers in the city). The difference, of course, that might permit Eglinton to be different and have a pro-subway influence over the years is that Mel Lastman is not associated with Eglinton. Sheppard is not being extended partially to spite his Melgalomania. It's quite petty and Scarborough, not Mel, suffers.

Elements of Transfer City - individual lines - could succeed, but the plan as a whole can only fail and has been failing this city ever since announced.

Back