850     0 

Transit City Plan

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
I think the streets passing over the LRT tracks could simply duck under them via tunnels. That would also be cheaper then building underground LRT stations.

They could also include basic stations on a trenched part of the route, like Ferry Docks, but with elevators to the street of course.

i checked to see what that was (La Defense, Paris, either from east or west). That's just a subway train briefly surfacing to cross the Seine before ducking back underground.

I checked to see what that was (La Defense, Paris, either from east or west). That's just a subway train briefly surfacing to cross the Seine before ducking back underground.
The Grand Arch is at the end of the vista; that roadway that you see is part of the Historic Axis (which leads to the Arc de Triomphe and the Louvre and along the Champs-Élysées).

Hello everyone. This seems like a great forum, so I've decided to join. I haven't been able to find specifics on the LRT's planned around toronto and was hoping someone can help. Will the LRT'S be talking away a lane from the roads? If a typical street has 2 lanes going both directions, will one lane each direction be lost to a LRT or will these roads continue to function as they are now?

The roads will be widened to maintain vehicle lanes. In places where this is not possible (such as through central Eglinton) the LRT will be buried. The only hindrance to cars will be the inability to turn left out of mid block intersections, which with the amount of traffic on the streets today is essentially impossible already.

The roads will be widened to maintain vehicle lanes. In places where this is not possible (such as through central Eglinton) the LRT will be buried. The only hindrance to cars will be the inability to turn left out of mid block intersections, which with the amount of traffic on the streets today is essentially impossible already.

Is this correct?

Where it is burried, I thougt there are generally 5 through lanes (2 plus diamond lane in one direction and 2 in the other direction). Will this stay as is or will it switch to 4 lanes plus 2 bike lanes (1 in each direction). I thought is was to be the latter - which is a loss of one traffic lane (total).

Where it is located in the median, there are currently 6 through lanes in each direction (one being a diamond lane for HOV during rush hour). This will be reduced to two lanes in each direction, plus 2 bike lanes (1 in each direction) - so there will be a loss of one traffic lane in each direction (or a switch from a lane to a bike lane).

I mean Sheppard and finch where it will remain 2 lanes each way with left turns. I don't know that much about eglinton truthfully, but you might be correct.

Edit: I took a look at the EA and eglinton will become 2 lanes in each direction, so a reduction of 1 lane for eglinton, which is off limits in rush already so it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
I mean Sheppard and finch where it will remain 2 lanes each way with left turns. I don't know that much about eglinton truthfully, but you might be correct.

Edit: I took a look at the EA and eglinton will become 2 lanes in each direction, so a reduction of 1 lane for eglinton, which is off limits in rush already so it doesn't really matter.

Yes, elimination of the HOV lanes on Eglinton East to make room for the LRT. Only place in all of Transit City that lanes are being lost for the LRT.

I guess a more correct statement would be that no GENERAL traffic lanes are being eliminated to make room for the Transit City LRT lines.

Though hopefully, central Eglinton will get bike lanes in conjunction with the bike lanes for suburban Eglinton that are part of the plan currently. Continuous bike lanes from Scarborough to Etobicoke would be very useful for residents of this city and would represent a milestone for cycling infrastructure: a substantial crosstown route that links urban and suburban parts of the city from one end to the other.

Though hopefully, central Eglinton will get bike lanes in conjunction with the bike lanes for suburban Eglinton that are part of the plan currently. Continuous bike lanes from Scarborough to Etobicoke would be very useful for residents of this city and would represent a milestone for cycling infrastructure: a substantial crosstown route that links urban and suburban parts of the city from one end to the other.

The Beltline Bike Path parallels Eglinton Avenue West, for a part of the way. Would be nice if the city bridged the bike path over Allen Road.

Back