News   Apr 24, 2024
 963     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 623     0 

Transit City - Common Elements (Carhouses, station amenities, fare collection)

So I imagine the two LRT stations you show would have a fair paid area with an attendent. The LRT stops at grade we would have to show the operator proof of payment like a regular streetcar or bus stop?

So I imagine the two LRT stations you show would have a fair paid area with an attendent. The LRT stops at grade we would have to show the operator proof of payment like a regular streetcar or bus stop?

No, it is likely that the tickets will be proof-of-purchase. You just put it in your pocket, and if a ticket inspector comes around, you have to show your ticket or be fined.

No, it is likely that the tickets will be proof-of-purchase. You just put it in your pocket, and if a ticket inspector comes around, you have to show your ticket or be fined.
Uh, let's keep in mind that Metrolinx and the province have said that PRESTO is a requirement for these lines. I doubt that there will be tickets.

Uh, let's keep in mind that Metrolinx and the province have said that PRESTO is a requirement for these lines. I doubt that there will be tickets.

As long as we have occaional travellers (like tourists) who won't want to commit to purchasing a PRESTO card, we'll still have tickets. Just like New York, London, Paris...

As long as we have occaional travellers (like tourists) who won't want to commit to purchasing a PRESTO card, we'll still have tickets. Just like New York, London, Paris...
If the vast majority of riders boarding our LRT routes are using Presto as seems very likely, I'd have a hard time believing that we would ALSO install ticket vending machines at each and every stop.

More likely, we'll offer tourists day passes, which will also work for on-vehicle POP inspections. Occasional riders are a trickier problem, and we'll have to see what decisions are made to handle them.

A ticket machine is a fairly easy thing to install - it can't be much harder than installing a coke machine in the break room.

A ticket machine also doesn't need to get paid $100,000 in overtime and doesn't take naps, either.

A ticket machine is a fairly easy thing to install - it can't be much harder than installing a coke machine in the break room.
A ticket machine also doesn't need to get paid $100,000 in overtime and doesn't take naps, either.
TTC has never stated that LRT stations would have collector booths, so the comparison isn't a fair one. As for the ease of installation, well, the break room isn't in the middle of a roadway with the public having access to it at all times, and with it being exposed to the weather. And again, these ticket machines would be to handle perhaps 5% of of riders. At some point, budget crunches will inevitably have someone looking at whether continuing to support the old media is worth it for so few people, particularly if TTC is successful in getting the PRESTO organization to support credit/debit cards as secondary payment mechanisms.

Ticket machines for LRT lines could be something as simple as the current parking ticket dispensers currently installed all over the city, I can't see the LRT lines relying exclusively on Presto and passes

TTC has never stated that LRT stations would have collector booths, so the comparison isn't a fair one. As for the ease of installation, well, the break room isn't in the middle of a roadway with the public having access to it at all times, and with it being exposed to the weather. And again, these ticket machines would be to handle perhaps 5% of of riders. At some point, budget crunches will inevitably have someone looking at whether continuing to support the old media is worth it for so few people, particularly if TTC is successful in getting the PRESTO organization to support credit/debit cards as secondary payment mechanisms.

As Voltz points out, the ticket machine can be fairly small and won't be block off a lot of space. In terms of exposure, these things are pretty tough; there are outdoor ticketing machines in cities as cold as Edmonton as hot as Phoenix and as wet as Vancouver.

Also, why would you assume a ticketing machine not already be equipped to sell Presto passes?

In the long run, my hope is that ticketing machines replace collectors and collector booths in all existing TTC stations as well.

Last edited:
Uhh VIVA's had outdoor fare vending machines for a few years now. This isn't rocket science.
You're missing my point. My point is NOT that outdoor fare vending machines are impossible. I know they exist and that VIVA uses them. My point is that I doubt that TTC will bother given that Presto is coming and indeed is mandated for use on TC by the province. Outdoor fare vending machines may be seen as a waste of money when they will represent a secondary fare payment mechanism used by a relative handful of people. TTC will be better served sending those people free Presto cards.

VIVA will have the same issue come up in by next year.

Last edited:
Another option is to have ticket machines inside the LRVs.
There would be much less exposure to the elements and less risk of vandalism.
Even if you're handing out free Presto cards, there will still be people who forget their card at home.

Last edited:
Another option is to have ticket machines inside the LRVs.
there would be much less exposure to the elements and less risk of vandalism.
Possible, but even there there are issues. The Presto readers will have to go near the doors, and putting the ticket machines further in will create enforcement issues. "You didn't pay for a fare." "I was heading over to the ticket machine when you stopped me".

POP implementations really need to have a clear requirement to have paid ANY time you are on a vehicle, which paying on the vehicle works against.

If they have any brains, they'll basically use the honour system on these routes for the first year of operation (or longer). The last thing we need is operational problems due to long loading times. They can't afford a PR disaster like St. Clair where it took a month for them to figure out how to run the line well.

Back