News   Jul 12, 2024
 672     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 643     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 286     0 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

Whoa...

Thats what happens when you spend all night studying for an exam. Yes I meant the ROM

Plausibly. It's very difficult to tell from the low quality WebCam pic.

20070508AGOSouthWebCam.jpg

AoD

What you are seeing is the next stage of the exterior cladding system, an aluminum substrate that will eventually be covered with the the titanium skin. The titanium will not be installed until the very end of the project as it is very easily damaged by other construction work. This is scheduled to start in the late fall.

The expansion is not that large come to think of it...I recall, when in Gehry's office in LA, that the original concepts called for a larger expansion to the AGO-

Are we seeing the same sized expansion only in a different form?

Example shots from when I visited Gehry's offices:

ago.jpg

14626586.DSCF0079.jpg

...not sure why but the shots aren't showing up..?

p5

Attachments

• 14626586.DSCF0079.jpg
    14626586.DSCF0079.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 255
anyone else get this feeling:

That the "entrance" to the AGO should be from Grange Park through the Grange House? The park could be filled with sculptures (works by contemporary Ontario sculptors?) and make a grand entrance to what surely looks to be Gehry's intent: make the park the focal point of the new AGO. Dundas St could just have retail shops and a smaller entrance for those arriving by streetcar.

Big box+grand staircase=hot; Dundas St facade=a work in progress.

I don't think that the entrance was considered through Grange Park.
The volume of visitors entering the building would be impossible to accomodate in the Grange.

P5--that's an intial scheme that was rejected partly because the community wouldn't allow such a tall addition to the Dundas side of the building. Also major mechanical equipment would have been displaced by that tower, adding millions of dollars to the cost just to relocate it.

I'll reinforce that answer regarding the Grange: it couldn't possibly accommodate the crowds that the AGO will attract. It's somebody's home! Or was at least, and that's how it's still being presented, and there just isn't room for all of your coats in the front hall closet or your galoshes on the floor mats during the winter.

Besides, the crowds should be arriving by streetcar on Dundas Street, and by school buses and WheelTrans pulling up to the curb.

Gehry's windows overlooking Grange Park are there for two purposes - partly to slightly lessen the overwhelming impact of such a large new structure behind the Grange, but mostly to afford those in the galleries with views similar to the ones that the Boultons enjoyed from the Grange nearly 200 years ago: of a well-treed park at the top of the street that slopes down to the lake.

p5: Their website says that "the expansion will enlarge the AGO by 97,000 square feet and will increase art-viewing space by 47%".

The ROM website says that their project will provide "220,000 square feet of new and renovated space, including 40,000 square feet of additional gallery space".

Some of the Crystal will be reception area milling-about space and giftie shoppe, and there will be a couple of thrilling voids to look up into. The Canadian Indian gallery that opened last year in the renovated 1934 wing is 9,000 square feet, so four or five such spaces would constitute a Crystal, I'm guessing ...

At the AGO they get a whole new wing - the south block for contemporary art - that doesn't have to double as reception and orientation space.

Duh - do please ignore me - I read your earlier post as if there was a huge difference between what Gehry's website and the AGO's website say about the size of the AGO.

Ago

I don't think it's true that the entire south wing is devoted to art. I believe that one floor is set aside for social/corporate events.

Does anyone have any shots of what's happening on the Dundas side of the AGO? It will be interesting to see the canopy being applied to the exterior.

^ yes, the third floor of the new tower is an event hall.

I don't know about the canopy, but the huge curved wood beams of the 'Galleria Italia' along (the Dundas facade) will start going up in a couple of weeks.

Back