News   Jul 12, 2024
 753     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 690     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 301     0 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

OK, maybe I'm crying wolf here, I hope not, but...

A few posts back, I noticed something rather shiny was going up on the 'box' at the back of the AGO. I was wondering if it was cladding, but was reassured sensibly that it was the metal substrate that will support the cladding.

Well, I just checked out the south webcam (sorry, can't grab a pic), and there is something very lustrous, metallic, silvery and smooth being applied to the east wall. Is this our first bit o' titanium, or am I still off?
It looks highly finished.

Here is what CN is talking about, from the AGO webcam:

AGOCladding.jpg

But it isn't blue...

AoD

This project is moving very rapidly. I cant believe they are already putting up the cladding. It seems like just yesterday they had begun demolishing the front entrance to the building.

That metal looks good, is it really titainium?

Wow. That was quick. Looks really shiny. On a sunny day this thing will just shine looking up John Street.

If this really is the cladding, then in the mornings it will reflect significant sunlight into Simply Dan & Lightstar416's new windows.

I do not think its cladding. The cladding is suppose to have a blue tint and is scheduled to be applied a lot later in the construction process. Anything is possible...but its not likely cladding.

The renderings on ago.net definitely make it appear blue. But the cladding in that image is quite smooth and looks like something that would be the final product.

There would be too many sub-layers if that is not cladding (opinion, not factual knowledge).

Well, all we have to do is investigate how Gehry has built his previous structures. How many layers were applied to the Disney Concert Hall for example?

To me, that is definitely looking like a final cladding. Perhaps it will receive a special coating to tint it blue?

Reality is never measured from the rendering. There may be no colour at all.

^ Actually, it is more than just in the rendering. The cladding has always been stated as "blue tinted titanium".

Back