News   Jul 30, 2024
 631     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 609     0 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

Interchange, US, Archivist.

Awesome... Interchange: We went to school together briefly - post secondary. I won't name the school or the program lest any personal details be inadvertently divulged on this forum. I've probably said too much already :)

Burn after reading...

Interchange, US, Archivist.

pep_boys_cover.jpg

Talking about being sneeky....its easy to get into the AGO during these member previews (I went yesterday during lunch to do a quick run-through). Just don't line up for tickets or anything and walk right in (and look like you know what you are doing).

And just look at Archivist's images of all those identical 19th century figurines on plinths. There was an entire wall of them. What's that all about?

Yes, that was one of my favourite pics. Individually each figurine is but just another figurine, but taken all together as they are displayed they sort of create an interesting visual.

Just don't line up for tickets or anything and walk right in (and look like you know what you are doing).

A good approach to life in general i'd say.

The figurine display is composed of a number of groupings of identical figurines ... as if Thomson thought that the guy who bought the most figurines before he died won the game.

Which maybe he did.

Looked around again today.

Several of the wave-shaped display cases for the ship models haven't arrived yet, but the installations that have been done so far are fun. More wood down there than you can shake a plank at.

The Works on Paper galleries are full of gems. A Van Gogh and a Mondrian sketch, side by side, are nicely paired. There's a watercolour/pen and ink sketch, Grotesque Musician ( 1627 ), that's so fresh and loose in style it looks as if it was done yesterday. British and Canadian drawings and watercolours ( including a study by Carl Schaefer for his painting Storm over the Fields which is displayed upstairs ) rub shoulders with Kandinsky's Grey Circle, a recent gift. The scratchy brushwork on George Grosz's City Scene ( 1917 ) reminds me of the David Milne paintings upstairs. The catalogue Drawing Attention is for sale. There are more recent works, too, including a Seth.

The photo gallery is full of delights - Gilbert and George's Holy Hope opposite a bright red Barb Astman print, and a group of black and white prints by another Torontonian, Michael Lambeth, show the city as it was in the '50s and '60s. There's an Irving Penn photograph of some feral Mountain Children, Cuzco, Peru ( 1948 ) and plenty of very early photographs.

There are some photographs of the AGO neighbourhood in the early years of the last century that are fascinating.

Ran into a woman I went to high school with - we were both at OCA at the same time, too - and had a quick chat before I left. Haven't seen her for over 30 years.

La Shocker in a buttonless Yohji Yamamoto mammoth wooly from N()IR, lambswool Paul Smith scarf from Heathrow, and leather gloves found on a streetcar.

Very nice, but can I get some details on that beautiful cardigan? You can PM me if you want, so as not to derail the discussion here.

I spent a few hours at the AGO yesterday. It's hard for me to really comment on the new building itself since it's still unfinished. The dust and construction noise was very distracting.

There were two highlights for me. First, it was great to see the Canadian collection back. Second, and by far the most impressive part of my little tour, was the Thomson collection. His contribution, in my view, pretty much defines the new AGO. The sheer number of Krieghoff paintings was amazing. I think the only other time I've seen so many was at the Beaverbrook in Fredericton.

By far the most disappointing part of my short visit, however, were the Contemporary galleries. I kept asking myself, why bother? The works felt more like they were warehoused there than exhibited. It felt like they didn't have enough space for the few works that they had and so they tried to cram everything into what little space they did have. I probably need to go again to appreciate them more, but my first impression was certainly of disappointment.

In any event, I'm thrilled to be able to go back to the AGO and to be able to keep going back. Anyone try the restaurant yet? I'm thinking of eating there on my next visit.

There is hope for the Grange - the original floors and walls remain, beneath the chirpy Pottery Barn interior that's been installed. I was told by one of the staff that, so far, "eighty per cent" of the comments about the Grange reno have been negative. So keep filling in those comment cards, boys and girls ...

I noticed that the Dundas sidewalks, as well as the tile work in the washrooms, reflects a similar "earthquake" pattern to that used on the titanium cladding.

Went back last night for a look around the contemporary galleries on the north west corner of the main floor - work by several local artists, including Luis Jacob.

Frank Gehry talks about his AGO redesign

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/535213

Nov 12, 2008 04:30 AM

MARTIN KNELMAN
For Frank Gehry – the man who reinvented the Art Gallery of Ontario – what matters most about this week's grand reopening is feeling the late Ken Thomson would have approved.

"It sounds terribly romantic," the 79-year-old architect said yesterday in an exclusive phone interview with the Star, "but I had a strong feeling as David (Ken's son) and I were working on installing his collection, we could feel Ken's presence."

It is a deep regret for Gehry that Thomson, who died in 2006, will not be there for the opening. And now, owing to a family medical emergency, Gehry worried he might have to cancel plans to fly here today by private plane for tonight's black-tie thank you dinner in the AGO's Baillie Court and tomorrow's media conference.

How the AGO project developed, Gehry revealed, is different from what he was orginally asked to do: design a new building near the south end of Grange Park to house the Thomson collection.

If Gehry does make it to the opening, he will surely receive a hero's welcome. And what he is most proud of is how the art looks.

"There are these fashion trends widely emulated in the gallery world," Gehry says.

"If you love art, you have to pay attention to how you show it. Putting things on a pedestal hurts the art and I didn't want to do that. It's a miracle, but the galleries for Ken's Canadian collection are the best I've ever done. Even with white cubic spaces we managed to give them soul."

It's clear from the emotion in Gehry's voice that what matters to him more than the opinion of the world, the critics, the Toronto public or even the AGO brass is feeling he has done right by the late benefactor, who triggered this project by donating his art collection and $70 million.

These two aged titans had little in common, on the face of it, except both had once lived in Timmins, both were hockey fans and both became dominant figures in a league of their own.

Thomson grew up the privileged son of a ruling press baron, Roy Thomson, and found through collecting art a way to establish his own identity.

The future architect grew up Jewish (as Frank Goldberg) in a community of struggling immigrants.

But it was the bond between these two that enabled the project to overcome a daunting series of obstacles.

Regrets? He has a few (as the song goes).

Chief among them: "Barton Myers used to be a friend of mine. That weighs heavily on me."

Myers, who moved to L.A. 20 years ago, is the noted architect who designed the AGO's 1992 renovation. And Myers takes a dim view of what he calls "the destruction" of his building.

"It was not my intention to mess with Barton's building," says Gehry, explaining that he was originally asked to design an addition to the AGO that would have been built on land occupied by the Ontario College of Art & Design. "It was all a matter of budget constraint," says Gehry. "The AGO would have needed an additional $100 million they didn't think they could get. I asked Matthew Teitelbaum (CEO of the gallery) to call Barton and explain that taking down his building was not my idea."

The upshot: "We did the best thing we could do on our budget; a very complicated way of interweaving things within a structure that had been remade many times. There are a few details I'd like to modify and maybe some parts aren't exactly right, but on the whole I think it works surprisingly well. I'm still hoping I can get up there at some point this week. And I like to think Ken would be proud of what we've done."

mknelman@thestar.ca

I assume the AGO's board had to sign some sort of covenant with their own blood - promising to display those chocolate-boxy Krieghoffs in their entirety forever - in order to get old Ken's dough. Fortunately, we got so much more - the incandescent Rubens in particular.

I went back to the AGO yesterday too, for about 2 and a half hours this time, to see what we had missed on Sunday, and to experience the building in the evening.

Scattered thoughts:

Galleria Italia is simply an outstanding space which is, along with those still-unopened sculptural staircases, Gehry's most obvious stamp on this building. It is lit dramatically at night so that one is sucked into gazing down the long vistas past the mesmerizing iterations of Douglas Fir ribs and louvres from wherever you stand in it. As has been experienced by others, I too expected to be drawn to the airiness of the room because of all of its glass the outside view prepares one for, but it's that beautiful wood that dominates one's experience in this space: I am drawn to spend much more time in here. Galleria Italia's opening exhibition of trees carved out of trees highlights the qualities of the space very well.

Access to and from the galleria is via seven galleries: the Henry Moore Sculpture Centre, the Frum African sculpture gallery, four Thompson Collection galleries, and a temporary Canadian art exhibition gallery currently bursting with 1960s and 1970s Toronto art. At least I am under the impression that gallery is for temporary exhibitions, although I hope I am wrong: they have done a good job of recreating a time and place, and the art on display is quite appropriate to the high concrete-ceilinged Parkin-designed room from 1970s.

The Thompson Galleries on this floor showcase his Canadian collections, and they alternate between high and low ceilings, giving either more intimate or more expansive settings for experiencing the art. The Kreighoff has been mentioned a few times: it's very engaging, but there is so much of it, it strikes me as overkill. Likewise a whole wall of very similar Lawren Harris mountain scenes in another gallery (and I love Harris) lessens the impact for me of the individual paintings, and in this setting that similarity starts looking like paint-by-numbers to me. Elsewhere in the Canadian galleries one will find other Harrises that were not owned by Thompson. Some of those Harrises show more of his range, and they lead me to look a gift horse in the mouth: the Thompson gift is wonderful, incredible really, but would it not have been better in many cases to put all of the Harrises in one gallery so as to concentrate on the artist instead of on the collector? Thompson's Harrises look the same to me, and could stand to be mixed in with the AGO's more eclectic set.

A substantial collection of David Milne is now scattered about the AGO, especially, again, in the Thompson galleries, but elsewhere too. It took me a while to become a Milne fan - his sparsely detailed works are utterly his own and not to everyone's taste - but I am blown away by how beautiful their installation is here, done in a way that cannot but help to raise the profile of Milne internationally.

Dr. Murray Frum's gift of African art is something to behold too: learning from Urban Shocker's post that it was Shim and Sutcliffe who designed his gallery was one of those 'of course!' head-slap moments: Shim and Sutcliffe have been designing for the Frums for years, and they have done a standout job here.

There are a few small galleries sprinkled here and there in the AGO that are luxurious glass-walled boxes, large walk-in-closet sized, typically displaying smaller artworks in front of raw silk backgrounds. Those are make you feel like you are in a palace vault.

The second floor walkway surrounding the Walker Court affords views into the courtyard through Roman arch-shaped openings. Those arches are repeated in the sculptural staircase's curves, and they pull one's gaze up to the glass roof, much of which is still covered while work continues on the staircase above. I can't wait to climb that stair, and I imagine that everyone who looks at it feels that way. It looks, however, like it may need a couple more weeks of work at least before it is open, as there is much that remains incomplete on it, especially its exterior. That means they may be able to open it before the outside is complete, but I am wondering if they don't intend to open it or the barnacle staircase from the 4th to 5th floors of the Contemporary galleries tower until after the opening weekend. That Barnacle staircase looks just about ready to open though, but I wonder if they would rather avoid crushloads on it on opening weekend. We'll know soon.

There are two comments of Ahab's that I don't understand, or at least are ones I see differently. The first is regarding the "few" pieces of modern art in the Contemporary galleries looking crammed in. My guess is that there are about 100 artworks displayed on floors 4 and 5, and my take is that they do have enough space. If there were converted-warehouses of space here, sure it would be fun to display large pieces 30 metres apart under individual pools of light, but to my mind these works do not impinge on each other the way they have been installed. While certain works are not my favourites, overall these galleries have a lively and eclectic quality to them. They are certainly far more engaging than when they were last in the Barton Myers wing. Secondly, I don't know how one could miss the building under the dust or behind the installation and construction work that is still taking place: a lot can be inferred when one sees 95% of something. Sure we don't have the full picture quite yet, but I am more than 95% certain that we have a real winner here, and I have no trouble seeing that nor reservations about declaring that.

Last edited:
I spent quite a bit of time, last night, in the Tom Thomson gallery getting up close and personal with all those lovely little paintings on panels. Of all the Ken Thomson galleries that's the one, along with the Milne galleries, that'll draw me back often in the short term.

On the same floor, and away from the Thomson bequest, the mix-and-match galleries 227 to 233 appeal to me. Everything from Aboriginal painting from the 19th century to contemporary photographic work.

There's a similarly eclectic quality - more so, in fact - to the contemporary galleries and I agree with interchange that the variety isn't distracting. I like their choice of contemporary artists for dedicated spaces too - Betty Goodwin for instance, and the AGO was a pioneering collector of Gerhard Richter on this continent - and how those "galleries within galleries" work in those bigger spaces. The "ripple" effect on that magetized piece is apparently random, by the way; the guard I spoke to last night said that the surface beneath it is flat.

It looks as if the glass ceiling they've added to the Walker Court has been extended further to the north end of the building, letting even more natural light in.

Back