News   May 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 610     0 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

Meanwhile, back inside the building, we've already seen what happens when donors get their noses out of joint about changes to the spaces in museums named after them: the brouhaha over Gehry's plan to replace the Flying Tanenbaum Atrium resulted in his design being reined in. Dr. Herman Herzog Levy, a Hamilton philanthropist who left over $15 million to the ROM, specified that it should all be spent on buying beautiful and significant objects for the collection, not naming spaces after him. A more sensible, less ego-based approach I think - though, oddly enough, the Museum has now named a gallery after him!

Tewder:

That said, there should definitely be some sort of masterplan for the Grange Park. It's a sad, sad sight right now.

And gawd, someone please go and tear down that awful Uno Prii building.

AoD

There is a master plan for the park, I believe ERA archiects are working on restoring it. It's a bit of an odd condition because while the grounds are owned by the AGO the park is maintained by the City, niether of which have any money.

As for the Prii apartment building, Gehry jokingly suggested demolishing it when he met with the community groups over the redesign. I don't think they were too happy about that.

March 29

2372177857_43f6ee61dd_b.jpg

2372178059_e1d9d7358f_b.jpg

2372179025_bce38eb304_b.jpg

2372180505_af6645aa69_b.jpg

2373016266_76a6b3531e_b.jpg

2372180853_678a14f998_b.jpg

Putting it in context...

2372174657_0c9b653f55_b.jpg

Great shots Wilie. I love your context pic; it really captures the scale of the project.

I took a friend past there yesterday. He's an artist (www.JoshuaRoy.ca) and was completely taken aback by the presence of the "shield" along Dundas. I told him it wasn't done yet... He's become a fan.

He's an incredible artist. I expect his work to be displayed in the new modern art wing in the coming years.

I guess you're saying in a trying-to-be-subtle way that his works sucks? lol

His site is being updated now so it's a bit difficult to look at his work. Check his flickr page instead:

2311782261_e4041da183_m.jpg

Flickr

Now back to our regular programming...

Enough promotion and criticism of this - back to Transformation AGO.

2372174657_0c9b653f55_b.jpg

I give you Toronto the half-assed. That entire block west of Beverley should have been expropriated, razed*, and turned into a grand plaza leading into the new AGO. New poles would be nice too, with their maintenance turned over to the AGO or a BIA that can actually make them look presentable and worthy of the new addition.

*waiting for the inevitable defence of decrepit, neglected, shoddy, "full-of-character" decaying retail strips.

If someone can give me a defence of the vandalized, third rate, grubby crap that cheapens and lessens what is a glorious, wonderful addition to the AGO, I'd like to hear it rather than an empty retort. It's this defence of the mediocre that is truly maddening, and why this city will always take one step forward, one back in terms of improving its public realm. Tell me, then, how a context worthy of the building in terms of creating an open piazza (or *something*) of some sort at the expense of unremarkable, neglected and shabby buildings is a *bad* thing. Where does this neurotic, almost pathological fetishization of the cheap and third rate come from? Why is *any* attempt to match the efforts made to create a striking building with a similarly striking, high-quality streetscape sabotaged by the desire to ensure that the most unremarkable elements must somehow be equated with the most remarkable? What, honestly, is the loss to the area with these businesses gone in comparison to something, *anything* being done to showcase Gehry's building as it should, and not hide it amongst clutter and properties that aren't even being maintained by the people owning them now? How much *better* would the area be, if, say a square designed by Gehry had been planned across from it? How much more coherent, more unapologetically *grand* (now there's a term we shy away from these days) would the building be? And before anyone says Toronto Life Square, that isn't the case of expropriation being wrong per se, but more so the execution of what came later. Does anyone, really, *want* what was there before at Yonge and Dundas? And if not, why the defence of what's at Dundas and Beverley now? Because as it stands now, looking at this photo, my only reaction is, man, nice new building, but look at the crap around it. Why didn't they do something about that? I imagine many people will say the same thing, and that's a shame.

So, why, exactly, am I wrong for wanting better than settling for third-rate, for the half-assed?

You are not wrong. Nice rant!

Actually, I would not mind the east and west portions of Dundas, if the part of Dundas in front of the gallery (across) was anything but a huge embarrassment. And for those who think and wish that it will become magically better once the gallery is re-opened, I will gently remind you that the gallery has been there for decades, and the streetscape has just been getting worse and worse.

Back