News   Apr 24, 2024
 365     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 554     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 488     0 

Train Spotting

Screenshot_2023-06-12_005316.jpg

It does seem longer than typical. I wonder if that is indicative of something. There was news a while back that they were consolidating their operations from two mines to one; I wonder if they are pulling out stockpiles. Or just a general indication that business is going well. We have a Great Lakes grain elevator/mill near here that typically sees 2-3 ships per year and we've already had four so far this year.

It does seem longer than typical. I wonder if that is indicative of something. There was news a while back that they were consolidating their operations from two mines to one; I wonder if they are pulling out stockpiles. Or just a general indication that business is going well. We have a Great Lakes grain elevator/mill near here that typically sees 2-3 ships per year and we've already had four so far this year.
Where is it located?

Very cool picture here: http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=52498

Caption: GO Transit GP40-2(W) 9810 comes off the Halton Sub at Burlington with its short 3-car train and APCU, operating on a fantrip for the US-based Electric Railroaders Association. Fantrip attendees stand around the area between CN's Halton and Oakville Subs to get their shots, across from the Burlington Station (out of view to the right, note the platform edge at the bottom right). Among the stops made that day, the train would also visit the nearby Beach Branch and stop by the Burlington Canal lift bridge at Hargrove for a photo op.

The new GMD GP40-2W units and APCU conversions (ex-ONR FP7's converted into cab control/HEP cars) were GO's way of expanding the fleet economically as it introduced more new lines in the mid-70's (notably the Georgetown line, that opened in April of that year).

Tom Gascoigne photo, Dan Dell'Unto collection slide.

I think the Beach Branch of CN's network is the most interesting picture here.

1690207266489.png

Credit embedded above.

1690207299469.png

Great shot here of Agincourt Station and an RDC in 1973.

Back