News   May 07, 2024
 407     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 360     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 322     0 

Toronto's Ugliest Building

Re:Colonnade, are we not going to give out the obligatory Concrete Toronto bumper? (Which I'm finding harder and harder to do. Not because of anything contained within mind you, but because of the atrocious quality of the binding. I'm already two copies down and my third one is also beginning to fall apart)

I alluded in another thread to Toronto Grace Hospital as something worth mentioning here...
toronto-grace.jpg

In lieu of trying to convey in words that may be gobbledygook to you, let the urls which I linked my insult into serve as a stepping-stone t/w said "enlightenment". And as further reinforcement, note the Inventory of Heritage Property listing.

Yes. 1983. Not 2003 or 1993, but 1983. If that doesn't implicitly tell you something, well...

It might help if you learned how to spell "Colonnade"

Point taken on my Colonnade mispell, I unknowingly violated one of my own pet peeves.

Re: the Torontoist article, I had actually previously read that article last year and it did teach me a few things about the historical and architectural significance of the building which at the time I was unaware of.

That being said I do not feel that either of your links successfully addressed my post. I never argued that the building is not historically or architecturally significant; what I did argue is that the building, in its current state, is ugly, as this was my understanding of the general point of the thread.

While I am most certainly not calling this the ugliest building in Toronto, I simply do not get any kind of visual excitement from it in the same way that I do from other Brutalist buildings in Toronto that I think are beautiful such as Robarts or 222 Jarvis.

I think this brings up a broader point in architectural debate, and possibly even cultural debate, where one is not able to separate the concept of a basic emotional reaction to an item from the concept of that item's significance or technical achievement in a given field. If something has been judged to be beautiful by a bunch of elites then you best not disagree, no matter what your feelings are to it, lest you be judged as uncultured (even if you agree with these same elites on many other things). It is this kind of environment that makes appreciation of arts and culture difficult for the general public.

As for your second assertion (ie. that the heritage designation given to the property 30 years ago somehow refutes my point) again I do not believe that this actually disproves anything since beauty does not necessarily have anything to do with getting a heritage designation.

Anyway, I'm sure that you won't agree with me, and will likely try to one-up my response to re-affirm that I am an ill-informed ignoramus. Whatever, that's fine. All I was trying to do with my original post was participate in a forum that I truly enjoy very much, so give a newb a break next time and don't be such a jerk.

Last edited:
While I am most certainly not calling this the ugliest building in Toronto, I simply do not get any kind of visual excitement from it in the same way that I do from other Brutalist buildings in Toronto that I think are beautiful such as Robarts or 222 Jarvis.

Though it's interesting you single those particular examples out--don't take this as architectural condemnation, but it suggests that "good" Brutalism for the unwashed masses = a certain extroverted potboiler quality in the name of "visual excitement". Which, in some ways, is an insult to Brutalism; sort of like the raw-concrete version of how a McMansion loaded with columns and gewgaws can have more "mass appeal" than Miesian minimalism.

It also reminds me of how people in planes rather simple-mindedly "ooh" and "aah" over the Rockies and yawn over the Prairies.

I think this brings up a broader point in architectural debate, and possibly even cultural debate, where one is not able to separate the concept of a basic emotional reaction to an item from the concept of that item's significance or technical achievement in a given field. If something has been judged to be beautiful by a bunch of elites then you best not disagree, no matter what your feelings are to it, lest you be judged as uncultured (even if you agree with these same elites on many other things). It is this kind of environment that makes appreciation of arts and culture difficult for the general public.

If it were all about deferring to the so-called general public's so-called "basic emotional reaction", then Robert Bateman would rule the day at the AGO. Get the picture?

Maybe "basic" is the keyword here. As a synonym for the crudely underdeveloped, etc. That's a virtue?

As for your second assertion (ie. that the heritage designation given to the property 30 years ago somehow refutes my point) again I do not believe that this actually disproves anything since beauty does not necessarily have anything to do with getting a heritage designation.

Funny how you seem possessed by some Sunday-painter concept of "beauty". Get this through your skull: to those qualified to make these decisions, The. Colonnade. Is. *ahem* Beautiful. *ahem* It wasn't a simple political fix; genuine architectural merits had something to do with its designation. But to explain the whys and wherefores to you would be like explaining the artistic merits of Fluxus to a collector of Bateman prints.

Anyway, I'm sure that you won't agree with me, and will likely try to one-up my response to re-affirm that I am an ill-informed ignoramus. Whatever, that's fine. All I was trying to do with my original post was participate in a forum that I truly enjoy very much, so give a newb a break next time and don't be such a jerk.

Though from an open-minded perspective, I'll offer you this much: I'd likely bookmark Robert Stern's nearby 1 St Thomas for future heritage designation as well--even though it's the kind of architectural antithesis that'd be right up the alley of those who find the Colonnade ugly (and for a lot of the Colonnade's architectural defenders, the feeling is likely mutual)

390 Bay: definitely not a prizewinner by any means! But the title of the thread is the ugliest building in Toronto. As in really, really, really egregiously bad. We can have some fun with this! We could have an ugliest building competition. I still think my suggestion of 80 Carlton is the worst so far. What do you think? Can you think of a building even worse than that one????

Though it's interesting you single those particular examples out--don't take this as architectural condemnation, but it suggests that "good" Brutalism for the unwashed masses = a certain extroverted potboiler quality in the name of "visual excitement". Which, in some ways, is an insult to Brutalism; sort of like the raw-concrete version of how a McMansion loaded with columns and gewgaws can have more "mass appeal" than Miesian minimalism.

It also reminds me of how people in planes rather simple-mindedly "ooh" and "aah" over the Rockies and yawn over the Prairies.

If it were all about deferring to the so-called general public's so-called "basic emotional reaction", then Robert Bateman would rule the day at the AGO. Get the picture?

Maybe "basic" is the keyword here. As a synonym for the crudely underdeveloped, etc. That's a virtue?

I agree with your point but I feel the need to clarify that I don't aim to be the poster boy for architectural or cultural populism. I simply feel that there is something to be said about the type of beauty that is felt immediately and without self-aware rationalization.

I think you and I agree that technical complexity, innovation, context and historical significance are all important factors in considering the merit of something. It is my belief however that to have these four things and yet lack the type of beauty described above is to ultimately fall short.

One of my favourite Brutalist pieces is the IBM building in Oahu, Hawaii. Except for its honeycomb-like grid, it is the definition of simplicity.

When I first saw it I was immediately struck by how beautiful it was (to me at least).

When I later learned that its distinctive grille acted as a sunshade, discouraged pigeons, and was self-cleaning, I liked the building even more as it was designed intelligently. Similarly, the facts that the grille had metaphorical significance and that the building served as the office for a prominent modern employer also added to its overall appeal and made it more complete.

In my opinion however, if the building had all of the these latter cerebral things, and lacked the former, then I can't say that it would have been a truly great building.

] Funny how you seem possessed by some Sunday-painter concept of "beauty". Get this through your skull: to those qualified to make these decisions, The. Colonnade. Is. *ahem* Beautiful. *ahem* It wasn't a simple political fix; genuine architectural merits had something to do with its designation. But to explain the whys and wherefores to you would be like explaining the artistic merits of Fluxus to a collector of Bateman prints.

I don't think that I have presnted an obsession with "Sunday-painter" beauty in my posts and if I have, it is not what I have intended.

I also resent your recurring assertion that you would not be able to explain to me why you feel the Colonnade is beautiful because I am somehow deficient. I understand that asking you to explain this is not an easy task and that you frankly may not wish to waste more time and effort on me, but please don't insult my intelligence.

If you do wish to elaborate on your opinion however please do not hold back. I am open minded and if you are only able to explain the building's beauty in very technical terms then I would not reject your argument without first making an honest effort to understand your point. I am also not above admitting that you are right if there is truly something that I am missing in my analysis.

Though from an open-minded perspective, I'll offer you this much: I'd likely bookmark Robert Stern's nearby 1 St Thomas for future heritage designation as well--even though it's the kind of architectural antithesis that'd be right up the alley of those who find the Colonnade ugly (and for a lot of the Colonnade's architectural defenders, the feeling is likely mutual)

The converse to my initial point above is also true however and that is why I suspect we would also agree on One St. Thomas, which is visually pleasant but is lacking in other departments and therefore falls short of architectural greatness.

As a final point I do want to give you credit for making me think about a building that I honestly had not given a great deal of thought to before. I will be looking at the Colonnade more critically the next time I am on Bloor.

Also, ProjectEnd, I will take your advice on Concrete Toronto - I have seen the book recommended many times on this forum before and think I will find it interesting.

Last edited:
390 Bay: definitely not a prizewinner by any means! But the title of the thread is the ugliest building in Toronto. As in really, really, really egregiously bad. We can have some fun with this! We could have an ugliest building competition. I still think my suggestion of 80 Carlton is the worst so far. What do you think? Can you think of a building even worse than that one????

Further to this I think it would be great to start a separate thread where people had to submit a list of the 10 buildings that they would most like to remove from Toronto. The idea would be for addition by subtraction and the catch would be that each building would be replaced by decent (but not good) quality infill.

It would be interesting to see the choices of strategies as people could opt for a piecemeal approach or instead decide to take out entire neighbourhoods.

I would start this thread myself but my limited number of posts prevents me from doing so.

Thoughts?

Mr. BT: all I'll say now is that you've handled this a lot better than jetsbackincanada has...

Last edited:
Why "enough with the ugliest"? That's what this thread's devoted to, after all...

ON_Davisville_Dental.jpg

Incidentally, this schlub of a building's worth considering, too.

Last edited:

Back