News   May 28, 2024
 291     0 
News   May 28, 2024
 597     1 
News   May 27, 2024
 2K     0 

Toronto's Ugliest Building

I don't mind Robarts but I wish they would spruce it up with some ivy or something...

Comme ça?

RIMG6245.jpg

I don't know how people can dislike Robarts as to me it seems like a Brutalist building that anyone can appreciate given it's quirky peacock design and comparatively good aging.

If I were to turn the anti-Brutalist guns on anything in the area it would be the Collonade building on bloor. It is ugly, very wide and has aged terribly.

The walk north along Guano Alley, with the beige Eaton Centre to the right, the ass end of the Ryerson/Canadian Tire building to the left, the Atrium on Bay straight ahead and pigeons circling overhead at target practice has to be one of the bleakest of urban experiences.

There are so many ugly buildings. Hard to chose. But my vote goes to 80 Carlton. Sorry, I have no pic but you can check out on Google street view if you don't already know it. For me it's the perfect storm of bad design, poor execution, and terrible maintenance. I defy anybody to make a case for it.

Last edited:
There are so many ugly buildings. My vote goes to 80 Carlton. For me it's the perfect storm of bad design, poor execution, and terrible maintenance. I defy anybody to make a case for it.

Okay, here it is!!!

80calrton.jpg

Last edited:
The really sad thing is that the block you linked to was originally the Village by the Grange. Although it's hard to believe it now, it was very cool when it was first built (1970s) Then they completely ruined it in the early 1990s, turning it into the hideous pile of crap that it is today.

Though they didn't actually monkey with the exterior much: simply infilled most of the mall with townhousey kitsch...

Adma, while I respect the fact that you are a prolific poster on this site I have to say that your comment here both pissed me off and disappointed me.

I do not claim to be an expert in architecture but am an enthusiastic amateur and have for the better part of two years been a regular reader on this site.

One thing I have generally liked about UT as a reader is the fact that there is a reasonably civil and intelligent level of debate on most topics.

That is why I was surprised by your comment. I expressed an opinion and instead of trying to persuade me to your point of view you instead resorted to petty namecalling. So now I ask you, since from your comments you clearly imply that you are in fact an expert, what you find so indisputably beautiful about this building that you couldn't fathom an ignoramus such as me to ever disagree.

I'll even spot you a few points: the courtyard in the front is nice and the staircase is interesting. Now go ahead and enlighten me.

And for the record I am not an across-the-board anti-Brutalist person. There are many examples of the style that I like, the Collonade just isn't one of them.

That is why I was surprised by your comment. I expressed an opinion and instead of trying to persuade me to your point of view you instead resorted to petty namecalling. So now I ask you, since from your comments you clearly imply that you are in fact an expert, what you find so indisputably beautiful about this building that you couldn't fathom an ignoramus such as me to ever disagree.

I'll even spot you a few points: the courtyard in the front is nice and the staircase is interesting. Now go ahead and enlighten me.

In lieu of trying to convey in words that may be gobbledygook to you, let the urls which I linked my insult into serve as a stepping-stone t/w said "enlightenment". And as further reinforcement, note the Inventory of Heritage Property listing.

The Colonnade; 1961-63, Gerald Robinson, Tampold & Wells, Associates, BY-LAW PASSED on -adopted by City Council on May 2, 1983 DESIGNATION BY-LAW PASSED BY CITY COUNCIL on Nov. 28, 1983

Yes. 1983. Not 2003 or 1993, but 1983. If that doesn't implicitly tell you something, well...
And for the record I am not an across-the-board anti-Brutalist person. There are many examples of the style that I like, the Collonade just isn't one of them.

It might help if you learned how to spell "Colonnade"

Back