6.1K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Toronto's best residential streets

A few odds and ends:

Sutherland Drive, the stately Leaside boulevard
Oakdene Crescent, a small leafy road off Strathmore near Greenwood/Danforth
Evans Avenue, the prototypical Bloor West avenue just east of Jane
Simpson Avenue, running parallel to Gerrard, a beautiful Riverdale street with diverse architectural styles
Robert Street, one block west of Spadina, similar to Simpson but with more modern examples

Last edited:
Robert is one of my favorite streets and as I live in the area, it's a street I walk on regularly.

Interesting that few Annex streets have shown up. Maybe it's because Bloor to Dupont is pretty lengthy and harder to get the consistency of some shorter streets. I mentioned Tranby as the nicest short east-west street.

Conrad Ave, a short street that ends at Hillcrest Park is very nice, stately and unique to the area.
Lyndhurst Ave just north of Casa Loma is a beautiful street
High Park Blvd. between Sunnyside & Parkside

A lot of people are going to pick out the grand Avenues like those above and the Palmersons etc. There is something magical about a tight nook of a road that seems miles away but is really feet away and there's something magical about the grand avenue with stately homes and gas lights.

Another street I forgot to add was Yarmouth Gardens, which runs between Palmerston and Manning, south of Dupont. One of the deepest, darkest tree canopies I've seen in Toronto.

I quite like walking around Seaton Village, although it lacks the "grandness" of Palmerston Boulevard and the Annex proper.

Palmerston Square feels kind of like a quirky New England town.

Another street I forgot to add was Yarmouth Gardens, which runs between Palmerston and Manning, south of Dupont. One of the deepest, darkest tree canopies I've seen in Toronto.

A great area for dense tree canopy that is slowly disappearing was the area bounded by Prust Avenue on the west, Sandford Avenue, Bloomfield Avenue and Ivy Avenue running east to Greenwood Avenue. Nothing special about the houses on these streets, but the atmosphere of a high thick maple canopy was hard to beat and every street has a bit of a hill to make it more interesting. I used to love walking down those streets, using them instead of Greenwood and Gerrard.

My old street! I miss it quite a bit but had to move when the owner chose to sell the house. It was so quiet at night you could here the streetcars turning all the way down at Carlton, or the racoons fighting the many feral cats living in the area. If you had a car, parking was a pain, and if you used the TTC, the walk to the streetcar was a pain, especially because the 506 is often full by the time it gets out there.

Unfortunately, while I lived there, one of our neighbours on the street was murdered in his home. It was quite a circus for a week or two.

Last edited:
I have the pleasure of living on one of the streets described! They're just not building human-scale residential streets anymore. My neighbor, a firefighter, has said that one of the reasons streets are so wide is that the fire departments are requiring extra-wide streets to accommodate their extra-large trucks. Form follows function, I guess.

I have the pleasure of living on one of the streets described! They're just not building human-scale residential streets anymore. My neighbor, a firefighter, has said that one of the reasons streets are so wide is that the fire departments are requiring extra-wide streets to accommodate their extra-large trucks. Form follows function, I guess.

That sounds plausible for Toronto, but what do they do in Europe where streets can be a lot narrower than Toronto? Last time I checked their cities weren't burning down.

Back