Toronto's best residential streets

Discussion in 'Design and Architectural Style' started by King of Kensington, Jan 19, 2015.

1. King of Kensington

King of Kensington Senior Member

Use any criteria you like - prestige, streets you think are underrated, whatever. What are our best streets, blocks and micro-neighborhoods?

2. junctionist

junctionist Senior Member

Chestnut Park. Its public realm is exquisite--a narrow roadway flanked by a public boulevard of broad lawns, lush mature trees, red-brick sidewalks, ornate street lights and buried electrical wires. The houses themselves are restored old mansions with lush gardens.

For a more middle class downtown street--Palmerston with its ornate gates and original antique street lights.

3. Lenser

Lenser Senior Member

Palmerston was the first street to come to mind - always elegant and its generous dimensions summon up a regal sense of history. Ravina Crescent, in The Pocket, is lovely too - charming curves and plenty of trees. Chaplin Crescent - a great alternate way to cut a diagonal across the north end of the city and take in some very fine homes. I'm sure there are many, many more.

4. dt_toronto_geek

dt_toronto_geek Superstar

Wow, where to start? A few of my favorates that quickly come to mind, mostly in the old city - Danforth between Broadview & Logan, Kensington Market, Queen West between Bathurst & Gladstone, Markham Street between Bloor & Lennox, the Distillery District, almost anywhere on the U of T campus - most notably (probably my favorate) Philosopher's Walk, Parliament Street between Wellesley & Gerrard, Queen East between about Coxwell & Neville Park, Evergreen Brickworks/cycling along the Don River, Gerrard between about Greenwood & Coxwell, Queen's Quay between Yonge & Bathurst, College St. between about Bathurst & Grace, Spadina between Bloor and pretty much the lake, Dundas between University & Kensington, Church St. between Charles & Carlton, King West between Yonge & Spadina, Front St. between Church & Sherbourne.... where to stop?! We live in such a great city.

5. junctionist

That's an interesting list, though most of those places aren't solely residential streets.

6. someMidTowner

someMidTowner ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Staff Member

While it isn't my all time favourite, and may not even be on my top 5, MacPherson Avenue between Yonge and Avenue Road is just beautiful.

7. someMidTowner

someMidTowner ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Staff Member

To add to that, it would be a crime for me not to mention Chestnut Park a block to the southeast. Red brick sidewalks, old fashioned lighting, amazing houses... the works really.

8. AndreaPalladio

AndreaPalladio Senior Member

Ottawa Street - One block between Summerhill and Shaftsbury of pastel painted brick houses.

9. Tewder

Tewder Senior Member

Bright Street in Corktown is charming, pretty row houses tight to the street. Feels somewhat British in scale.

Admiral Beez likes this.
  10. King of Kensington

Agree with the multiple expressions of Chestnut Park and Palmerston Blvd.

Chestnut Park is a bit of a reluctant one, since I wouldn't want to live in Rosedale even if I had the money to buy there (I prefer an area with more of a mix of people), but Chestnut Park stands out as a classic grand street.

Palmerston Blvd. too. I'd love to live there. In general, I'm a huge fan of the area realtors are calling the South Annex. Markham between Harbord and College is very nice as well. In Harbord Village, the lower block of Brunswick has a bit of an elegant feel, but I think Robert is my favorite HV street.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  11. junctionist

Carlton Street at Riverdale Park for the brick pavement and Victorian streetscape.

12. ehlow

ehlow Senior Member

Yeah Rosedale & Moore Park is probably the most beautiful residential area in Toronto. The houses, street, trees and surrounding ravines & trails all contribute to it.

The others that come to mind are the Beach/Beaches and the Ward's Island.

13. ksun

ksun Senior Member

Bay st between Dundas and Bloor.
    Queen's Quay between Yonge and Spadina.
    Sherbourne st between Queen and Carlton.

14. King of Kensington

Of course! It's been a while since I've been in Cabbagetown, so I was reluctant to name a particular street there.

15. Lenser

Lenser Senior Member

Yes! Love that street and its little curve. Very archetypal somehow.